A big-box-o-Highlander on the curb

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

A big-box-o-Highlander on the curb

Post by jjacky »

Hi  All…Ok…So I plunked down half the moola , did a first reading of the manual, got some tools, added light and a doorway to the basement,  and now….and now….what?   As Martha Stewart would say, in a high pinched voice,  “ First, you take a nine foot craft table!….”   So I’m wondering what do I really need and what do I really not need and what do I really need to do…cuz … in two months or so there gonna be a big-box-o-Highlander on the curb….Holy Crap!javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Congrats  J jacky and thank you. Your most valued tool will be a rotessire(spelling ugh) you will need on set for the fuselage and at least one for the wings, it helps to have two. A 4X8 work table is good. 4X12 better. Reamers from 3/16 to 5/8 in 1/16 intervals and have two 3/16 and  1/4". Have a 3/16 rod about 36" welded to 1 each of these. Normal hand tools will do the rest.  Thanks and have fun with it  Jak
Roger
Veteran Member

Tools

Post by Roger »

Hey jjacky:
Something I did when I got my big box, I turned the box into a two decked 4'x16' work bench. I had a roll of 6mil. plastic that I stapled to the top. Kind of makes it easy to keep track of the tools. My most important tool was a high speed air tool for cutting the trailing edge hinge slots. (Harbor Freight $6.00 on sale) Tons of other uses too. Buy some extra blades too. Also a table saw, and a jig saw got a lot of use. You can cut aluminum on the table saw if your careful and install a 64 tooth carbide in backwards. Just keep your hands clear of the blade. I use a 1/4 inch piece of expendable plywood to lay the aluminum on, particularly if it's very thin alum. Cut the plywood along with the alum. Something else that sure is handy is a drill press. I have a small one on my work bench that I bought at an auction for $5.00. Invert a piece of 1-1/2x1-1/2 angle and weld a strap to each end on the bottom (so the V is looking up) and that makes a good jig to drill pieces of tube for center.
Hope this helps some.
Roger
jjacky
Veteran Member

Rotisserie's

Post by jjacky »

Thanks very much for the tips guys.   Jak do you happen to know where I can get plans for the rotisserie’s (I saw them at the factory and they do look extremely handy)..or ….are they available commercially?  Are the ones for the fuselage the same as the wings or is it a simple adjustment?...Thanks Again...JJ
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

If you want a set,  Dennis will make you a set,  contact him at the factory.  Jak
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

congrats JJacky.  I know you are all excited and ready to start building.  Here is a shot when I was READY TO GO! And one when I was READY TO FLY!   You pick which was which {some inspiration}  8)
:shock:
Seriously, use these guys and gals here on this forum.  I could not have gotten things done the right way if not for them!
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
KevinC
Veteran Member

Fixtures for the cheap at heart...

Post by KevinC »

Congrats!  You are up for some fun - both building and flying.

I am on the super cheap end of the spectrum when it comes to disposable stuff.  I used a Chinese tool store (aka Harbor Freight) engine stand and a sawhorse to support my fuselage.  I built a wing rotator from 2x6 lumber and PVC pipe for the wings.  The fuselage was mounted on a piece of plywood, then to the engine mount and a chunk of 1" round bar with a hole drilled in it for the tail, sitting on a sawhorse.  I held it in place on the sawhorse with a conduit clamp.  For the wings I used either 1.5 or 2" pvc elbows and a 't' to rotate on.  Both worked great with absolutely no problems.  I'm sure there are pix on "Progress in Prosser" thread.

Another very useful tool is a vibrating cutter - the way to cut fiberglass!  Here's the one I bought: https://www.sonicrafter.com/index.asp

I also built "building boards" for the flaps and ailerons that were well worth the time, IMHO.

This forum is by far one of the best resources.

best luck,

K
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Fantastic ...Thanks for the tips and inspiration guys.  Last Question...what is the best order to build it in.... a good place start and finish.   The on-line manual seems to jump around...Thanks Again....J

Return to “Just Aircraft”