Bellcrank Bushing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jak
Veteran Member

Bellcrank Bushing

Post by jak »

Hey guy's just want to let you know I'm making more changes to the book and I just want to let you all know up front.

Its our goal at Just to build the safest and most dependable aircraft we can. Therefore we are making this engineering change in reguards to the bellcrank bushing. It say's in chapter 5 page 12 step 9 the rivet in the bushing can be easily removed (drilled out) to allow dismanteling for inspection and lubrication.  We know that some of these bushings are not being removed and relubricated properly during maintenance, therefore we are replacing this bushing part #F-1410.0 with an AN 6-40 bolt and an AN 310-6 nut. This change takes effect with serial# JA 185'

We urge you all to replace the bushing with this bolt when you do your maintenance.

When inserting this bolt make sure you put on a good quality grease (we use a wheel bearing grease). You may or may not need to use washers on this bolt to get the spacing right. After you get the bolt and nut in place secure it with an AN 380-3-3 cotter pin. (Do not over tighten nut the bellcrank should move freely.)  

I hope this change does not cause you any grief but it really does need to be done.         Thanks   Jak
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Thanks Jak....how often is this maintenance done?  It is going to be a *&^% to redo mine.  I have the one inspection hole on the side for which there is no way to make this change.  The only way is to go through the back of the cargo hold.  This means to tear out the carpet and drill out the rivets and pull the whole back out in that confined area.  Any advice?
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Dennis that bushing is supposed to be removed every annual and inspected and re greased, The bolt makes it easier to do this.  Jak
Lynng
Veteran Member

MX and Service

Post by Lynng »

Jak,

I would say that now that we have more long term ownership and aircraft with serious flight time on them, actually writing a maintenance manual for the aircraft would be time well spent. Otherwise you rely on the individual to pull information from the build manual to service the aircraft.

Lynn
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Wes
Premium Member

Bellcrank Maintenance

Post by Wes »

Some time ago, I decided I didn't like rivets, so I re-did my bell crank with a long AN4 bolt that goes thru the center of the original steel pin and locks the pin in place with notched washers as shown.
I haven't had to take it apart yet, but it should be easy to disassemble and lube.

Finishing firewall and boot cowl attachment.

Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

scubarider2 wrote:Thanks Jak....how often is this maintenance done?  It is going to be a *&^% to redo mine.  I have the one inspection hole on the side for which there is no way to make this change.  The only way is to go through the back of the cargo hold.  This means to tear out the carpet and drill out the rivets and pull the whole back out in that confined area.  Any advice?
We hinged and latched the rear cargo wall for easy access to the tailcone, plus a window for preflight visual inspections.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Thanks Dave, looks like for the next annual {in a few more months} I will have a "project"....   :shock:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

When I installed my back panel I pop riveted some small triangular pieces of aluminum in the corners of the opening and put some of that super stick velcro on them. The panel stays securely in place but makes it a snap to remove to inspect whats going on back there...
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Doug Baird

Post by Doug Baird »

I have made a modification as indicated above to the bellcrank bushing.  
The first photo shows the installation of the bushing before drilling and riveting.
I was concerned that there was no lubrication on this and, as can be seen from the photo, the bellcrank had a quarter inch of sideways play.

The second photo shows a modified bushing with 1/16" weep holes drilled, the ends tapped with a cap in one end and a zerk fitting in the other  plus two .0125" nylon washers punched to the size of the bushing.

Photo three shows the bushing (with a 90 degree zerk fitting) and washers installed.

Doug Baird

Post by Doug Baird »

Sorry ... first time posting photos & didn't get it right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Baird

Post by Doug Baird »

I appologize for the 'super sized' photos ... guess I should have asked if you 'wanted fries with it'.  I'll  be a bit more carefull in the future.
Wes
Premium Member

Grease

Post by Wes »

Doug,

Elegant solution!  I like it.

Hmmm, now where's my grease gun?

Here is a link to a little photo shrinker from Microsoft that, when installed, will allow a quick right-click shrink operation on you photos. Works great.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”