Question for the (few) Jab 3300 users

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Question for the (few) Jab 3300 users

Post by danerazz »

So, obviously, most of the Highlanders have the Rotax in them.  For the guys that have the Jabs, what do you think, what kind of performance do you get (more take-off than cruise) and does anyone have their Jab Higlander on floats?  Also, what prop are you using and what length is it?

I really like the Jab, and I'm sorry to say I am not a fan of the Rotax, so I am just curious about what the Jab owners have to say.  Anyone building with the new O-200 lightweight in mind (I know, it is a little heavy)?
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Jabiru vrs. Rotax

Post by ftcaruso »

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Highlander with the Jabiru 3300 engine.  It has fine performance, good fuel economy, a great sound, and I just like the idea of a conventional air cooled aircraft type engine.  However, if I were to do it over again...I would opt for the 100 HP Rotax 912S for one simple reason...absence of cooling problems.  Every flight that I make during the summer requires climb-out pre-planning.  You can’t just  apply full power and climb to your enroute altitude.  You must step climb a thousand or so feet at a time.  I have spent a lot of time and effort experimenting with the baffles on the cylinder shroud, applying an extraction lip below the cowl and re-working the front seals, all to little avail.  Short of now doing some seriously extensive fiberglass fabrication on the existing cowl, or replacing it with an entirely new one, so as to emulate what Gary Weaver has done, I suspect that I will just have to live with those pesky limitations.  As much as I dislike the idea of all that extra plumbing and the constant stream of service bulletins issued by Rotax, it certainly might have offset the issue of my engine cooling problems.

Frank
Gary H
Veteran Member

Jab 3300

Post by Gary H »

I love my 3300, wouldn't trade it for a rotax if they gave it to me. I was very lucky to have a friend who lives in Seattle help me with the cooling problems. I don't have any!  On the hot days my friend with a rotax was having to step clim, I went right to crusing alt. I put the aero carb on and WHAT a difference now that I finaly got it tuned right !!!!! I have a totally different airplane. Jabiru 3300, simple to install, cheaper than the 912,,,

GW
Will fly for food!!
Dirtbos

Cooling fixes

Post by Dirtbos »

Gary,

Would you mind sharing the fixes.  It would be greatly appreciated.

Mike A
Acton, CA
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I can verify what Gary is saying about his Jabiru 3300, we fly together alot.  I've got the 912S and if I knew then what I know now about setting up the 3300, I would most likely have the 3300 in my Highlander.  It's all about baffling the engine correctly to eliminate the over heating problem, which Gary's friend Dick solved and it wasn't rocket science.  Even with Gary's non-issue of over heating I could still get off the ground much quicker then Gary, however, when he finally got the needle valve issue corrected on his Aero Carb (replacement for the Bing) he now can get off the ground faster and climb out steeper and faster then my 912 and not only that he's got a prop that has too much pitch for the 3300, which if changed would give it even more performance.  Don't get me wrong, I like my 912 and it's performing flawlessly, but there is no doubt Garys Highlander out performs mine and our planes are within 10lbs of each other in empty weight.

Steve
Dirtbos

Thanks Steve

Post by Dirtbos »

I appreciate the information.

I've always felt that the 3300 was the best way to go (from my perspective).  I appreciate your confirming it.  The difference is probably splitting hairs, but I like to push things to the edge.

I have complimented Gary on his paint scheme.  Yours is quite nice with the different color combination.  Yours and his make a nice complimentary pair.

Mike
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Thanks Mike, I designed the paint scheme and cut and applied the vinyl used on our planes, we always get a lot of attention when we fly into an events..........and as you know we all love to talk about our planes :lol:

Steve
Dirtbos

Nicely done.

Post by Dirtbos »

Aircraft like your's and Gary's give us dreamers incentive.  Hope to join you soon.  Just need the economy to turn back around.  It will.  It always does.
bobefx

Jab 3300

Post by bobefx »

I am also putting a 3300 in my Highlander. Should be soon. Gary it looks like there are a few people that could use all the info you could give. How about an instruction manual with pictures?
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

WOW,, thats a tall order,, well, I'll try to put something togehter. Maybe my best bud Steve would give me hand,,, hint hint,,,  I'll see what I can do
Will fly for food!!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

We have the technology :lol:

Steve
Jersey

Jabiru & Junkers prop

Post by Jersey »

I choose the same powerplant when I built my "jeep with wings" (have a look under "other airplanes" in this forum, the post is titled "Wild Thing taildragger").

Never liked the Rotax anyway .... too expensive, too heavy, too much pipes an' stuff and I never was happy with that "kraaack" sound of the engine stopping at shut-down (always sounded like a cylinder seizing up to me!). Have put around 300 hrs. on the Jabiru now and am very happy with the way the engine performs. Installed a little aluminium strip to improve airflow to the two cylinders closest to the firewall, for better cooling, and never had any trouble keeping the temperature in the green.

I use a Junkers "Profly" climb-prop (fixed pitch, 2-blade), which gives me exceptionally good STOL capability in combination with the Jab.

Cheers,
Jersey
Touch Heaven ..... Kiss a Pilot!
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Sorry, got to step in here and say I love my Rotax 912uls.  The only problem I have ever had with it was caused by the fuel tanks.   I have also owned the Rotax 582.  No problems with it either.  
:D
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I'm happy with my Rotax also, but I have to agree with Jersey on one thing, they are too freaking expensive! I sure wish Honda would start making an engine. After all they *are* making a jet engine now....
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Re:

Post by xpflyr »

rmullins wrote:I'm happy with my Rotax also, but I have to agree with Jersey on one thing, they are too freaking expensive! I sure wish Honda would start making an engine. After all they *are* making a jet engine now....
They are now.
http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Just Aircraft”