Heavy left wing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

Heavy left wing

Post by Roger »

Hey Jak:
Any chance you can get Troy to call me. I've been trying to get him to call me back for two months, and no luck. I told him that I am flying with about 3/4" of aileron showing below the trailing edge of the flap on the left wing. I even cut a 1/4" off the bolt on the top of the rear lift strut, and screwed the fitting down tight without the lock nut. Still getting that much deflection to keep the wings level. I suppose it's possible he can't come up with a fix, but I wish he'd at least let me know. He has my number.
Roger
juliant
Seasoned Member

Re: Heavy left wing

Post by juliant »

Hi
I had a similar problem with a heavy left wing and adjusted the rear lift strut to try and compensate, but found it made little difference.
I ended up making a small trim tab out of spare clear lexan and that works fine with passenger. I find I have a small amount of stick pressure one up , but is acceptable.
I flew two up early Sunday morning accross the Waikato plains for about 20 mins totally hands off.
I have a similar trim tab on the rudder too, being clear you dont even notice that they are their, I have them stuck on with scotch double sided tape ( same as for the VGs)
This was done after speaking to Troy some months ago.
Cheers
Julian
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

juliant wrote:Hi
I had a similar problem with a heavy left wing and adjusted the rear lift strut to try and compensate, but found it made little difference.
I ended up making a small trim tab out of spare clear lexan and that works fine with passenger. I find I have a small amount of stick pressure one up , but is acceptable.
I flew two up early Sunday morning accross the Waikato plains for about 20 mins totally hands off.
I have a similar trim tab on the rudder too, being clear you dont even notice that they are their, I have them stuck on with scotch double sided tape ( same as for the VGs)
This was done after speaking to Troy some months ago.
Cheers
Julian
How big and where are your trim tabs attached Juliant?
Roger
Veteran Member

Post by Roger »

Thanks Dave, that was going to be my next question.
Roger
juliant
Seasoned Member

Post by juliant »

Hi
I'll take photos tomorrow and post them. They are both 5" X 2" bent down the middle longways angled approx 140 deg (I just bent them till they looked right !!)
Julian
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I have a small {1 1/2 x 3") aluminum trim tab on my rudder. It is more visible than plastic but much easier to adjust. It is attached with double sided tape.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Roger,
I had the same issue. I leveled the plane front to back and side to side and double checked all of the tail surfaces again. I found that i had mysteriously gotten some twist in the horizontal stab. I removed and added washers until that was back at perfect. I then really studied the rigging on the ailerons and flaps. I found that I ended up pulling the left flap down a bit and pretty much got rid of the heavy left wing. I found it difficult to set the flaps and ailerons, because there is really no easy reference point to get them the same. The wing tips are a good reference, but I am not sure I had them absolutely identically mounted.

I know, why should you listen to me. I don't even have one of these birds anymore. It went to a good home, and is being flown more than I ever did.

Dave
Roger
Veteran Member

Post by Roger »

First off, let me thank Steve, Juliant, and Dave. I certainly appreciate your enteries. I did anticipate a trim tab before I covered the rudder, and welded a small, (1" x about 2") piece of 3/16" scrap metal on the middle of the rear end of the rudder, and drilled a couple of 1/8" holes in it. Then after cover and paint, I rivited on a piece of painted alum. trim tab about 5" high by 3" wide. So I guess my question would be, do you guys think adjusting the angle of the trim tab on the rudder, would help with the heavy wing? And Juliant, where did you mount your wing tab?
Dave, sorry to hear you sold your bird after putting so much work into it.
Roger
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Roger, if you want an unobtrusive way to fix the problem, you might like to try this. Take a piece of 1/8 or 3/16 cord about three inches long and temporarily tape it along the inboard trailing edge of the right aileron. Test fly and see if it works. The amount of wing levelling can then be adjusted by adjusting the length of tape. When you get the correct length of tape simply leave it taped or fabric over it.

Sounds radical but it works. I once test flew an aircraft after a total rebuild and we had a wing low problem after all rigging was checked. This was the recommended fix and it worked well. If I knew how to send pictures, I could send you one of the fix.

Keith
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Roger, I am by no means any sort of expert here but I must say that if you are having that much trouble with a heavy wing there is something wrong with the set up. You should be able to adjust the turnbuckle on the left strut enough to make all the difference. I had a heavy left wing as well {just enough to apply pressure on the stick} and turned the turnbuckle maybe four turns and now straight and true. The plane should fly very close to hands and feet off with proper rigging if all is aligned properly. My first advice would be to remeasure and level everything. Do a weight and balance {side to side} to see if there is a major difference. Re-do and re-check your rigging. If all this fails then I would suggest another call to Troy for advice. :|
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
juliant
Seasoned Member

Post by juliant »

Hi Roger
Photos as promised

Aileron Trim tab position:
Rudder Trim tab position:
Close up Rudder Trim tab:

I noticed that the engine mount on mine had very little if any offset, from memory jabiru recommend 4 deg. Some aircraft have offset in the fin to counter the prop forces. So I suspect that this may have something to do with it, also I stretched one side of the fuse fabric before the other and maybe put a small twist in fin, can't see it but may not need much, could have some shrinkage differences in the wings ? who knows and who cares, all I know is the trim tabs were easy and fixed my problem and winding the rod end in the wing strut did little.
I like Keith's idea of the chord on the trailing edge ! might try that
I plans built an all metal Zenair CH701 and a teenie two and not a trim tab in sight! Having bought the kit this time with quick build wings fit option I was a little frustrated at first having to fit tabs, but I am too busy flying it now to give a stuff!
cheers Julian
Roger
Veteran Member

Post by Roger »

Good pic's Juliant. Thanks again and thanks to Kieth for that hint. I think I'll try that one first, as it seems too simple. I'll try to remember to let you all know.
Roger
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Keith,
Is the cord taped on the trailing edge of the aileron?
As opposed to the top or bottom, near the trailing
edge?
Also, this fix would be applied to the non-heavy
wing side?

Very interesting.

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

We did it to the non heavy side ( I think!) and taped it under the inner trailing edge of the aileron. I guess the theory is that it gives some lift to that aileron opposing the other wing down. It was on a WWII Hawker Hurricane and worked a treat.
I've got some pictures of it somewhere, I'll talk to Julian and get some posted.

Keith
justaircraft
Seasoned Member

Post by justaircraft »

Troy may get 15 to 30 calls a day.Anyone who has a problem getting a response from anyone at Just Aircraft,regardless of the subject,please call me for follow up.

Harry Berndt

Just Aircraft

Customer Service Manager

Return to “Just Aircraft”