new member and highlander builder

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

new member and highlander builder

Post by ScottieB »

Hi guys,
My name is Scott and I'm a new member to this forum. I'm currently building a Highlander at the factory. I started in July and I'm loving every minute of it. I have my wings, flaps, ailerons, fuselage and all my tailfeathers built and covered (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my son and daughter are helping me - boy are they an asset!). I have already applied the primer and whenever I get it sanded down I'll be ready to paint. Can't wait to get this baby built so I can start working on my pilot's license.

As of right now I'm planning to build a Corvair engine (if I can ever get ahold of William Wynne), so if anybody's interested I'll try to keep you posted.
dschmid37
Forum Regular

Re: new member and highlander builder

Post by dschmid37 »

Good for you Scott! I'm jealous...
How's it going? Give us an update on your progress.

Dan
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Scott,
It's about time you joined us here!

See ya Saturday, I hope!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

I've got my plane painted now (as I'm sure Johnny already knows because he's seen it), and the wings are mounted as are the horizontal stabs with the flying wires. She's sitting on her landing gear lookin' all pretty and teasin' me to go flying. It sure is hard to slow down and make sure I'm doing a good job but I still have a lot of work to do. Installing the fabric in the cargo bay right now. Next I'll hook up the cables to the ailerons and flaps so I can sit in it and make airplane noises while I yank and bank.
I'll tell ya what, I've waited all my life for this and it's even more exciting than I expected. I kept waiting 'til "I can afford it", and I wish I had just taken the plunge a long time ago.
Oh yeah - something else you might be interested in - These planes don't usually have fuel gauges because you don't really need them when you can simply look up and see how much fuel is in the tanks, but I had been wishing for some kind of low fuel alarm just in case I was ever dumb enough to forget to watch my fuel level. I found a really neat device that I can install in either of my tanks that I will hook up to an LED in my instrument panel to tell me, "Hey stupid, look at your fuel level" before I run out. I'll let you know how it works out.
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I know what you mean. I don't trust myself to remember to check the tanks either. I set the Garmin 296 I fly with to pop up a "Fuel Tank Timer" message every 15 minutes.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Hi Scott,
Just checking in to see how the highlander is coming?? Pictures would be great. Welcome and looking forward to reading more about your project (& pictures)

Gary
Wa. State
Will fly for food!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”