Just Aircraft Annual Fly-IN

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
john2
Veteran Member

Re: Just Aircraft Annual Fly-IN

Post by john2 »

billy5823 wrote:glad you reminded me ...tell them you are with the flyin with billy payne...the rate is 79 per night...phone number is 828 837 1628
hampton inn....

HOTEL RESERVATIONS

HAMPTON INN
828 837 1628
HWY 64W MURPHY NC 28906

OUR RATE IS 79 PER NIGHT TELL THEM YOUR WITH BILLY PAYNE JUST AIRCRAFT FLYIN

Billy,

I just called the Hampton at the number you gave and they said they didn't know anything about the fly in and the rates were 99 per night. Is there a certain person that I need to talk to for reservations?

thanks,
John C.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I reserved several days ago, and they had the information right at hand. Give them both "Billy Payne" and "Just Aircraft".
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

SheepdogRD wrote:I reserved several days ago, and they had the information right at hand. Give them both "Billy Payne" and "Just Aircraft".

Had better luck this time. Talked to the same girl and she had already asked someone else who told her about the fly in.

Later,
John C.
Take Care,
John Cooley
N265JC reserved
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

hey everybody.....dont forget your lawn chairs,binoculars, (no i cant spell) and sun screen....thanks billy
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Hey Is the Saturday night Cookout potluck, I mean is there anything we can bring besides our good looks :>)....and if so How many people do you reckon will be there? Also If you have any spare XX T shirts please reserve one for me...jbird
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

no jack ...just bring your pretty self..and lots of liquer (for me) it makes you look better...thanks though....

and another note ....the concession stand will be cash only so go to the atm.....and get lots of burger money..
concessions will be running friday...saturday till cookout wich is on just aircraft ..and sunday breakfast and lunch...
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

everythings looking good for the event....weather should be about 75 degrees ,clear and perfect.....dont forget your tiedowns,
see yall soon...
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

So, out at the airport, ready to go....clouds, then rain, more clouds on the mountains I would have to cross, waited....no change...*frown* came on and has not left.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Same here in MI.... I was planning on flying down today but the weather didn't cooperate.

Gary
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

The southern Ohio crowd flew down on Friday, Carl, Bob, and JC and son early in the day. I had to put in some time at the office so I didn't leave until 4pm. A 2 1/2 hour flight and then the mountains and Billy's beautiful place! I counted 11 Highlanders/ Escapades. We hung out and swapped tales Friday night then woke up Saturday morning to light rain. How can the weather people get a forecast THAT wrong only a few hours away? Luckily it was just a small cell and it quit and were we able to start the fun. First event, take off and nail a balloon they release at the other end of the runway at the same time. I kind of felt like a fighter pilot chasing down his kill. I managed to run it though the windmill and had a big grin on my face. The next event was spot landing. You could use power on your approach, but once you cut power it had to stay off until you touched down. I'm sure I didn't win that one, but I didn't embarrass myself either so I was satisfied. The next event was the much anticipated short takeoff and land contest. I didn't see the official results but Gary in the Big Black Highlander had to win the short take off. He was impressive.Troy was flying the factory tricycle Escapade. Wow is he good at flying just above stall and dropping it RIGHT on the line about every time. Me, I was happy. I was probably middle of the pack but I think I won the "who scattered the most people" award for my first attempt at floating in just above stall. By afternoon a check of the weather showed lots of rain headed between me and home, with even more for the next day or two so I decided to cut out while I could so I missed the limbo and coyote shoot (can't wait to hear the stories from THAT one).

I want to thank Billy for organizing this and making available his beautiful place. You do a great job and are a fabulous host. It was really great to meet some other folks and see some old friends. I really hope you keep this going. You can count on me to show up every year. But you need to get better connections over at the weather service...

thanks again!
Last edited by rmullins on Sun May 13, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Weather people...the only job that you can get wrong almost every day and still keep your salary. I was so looking forward to coming this year. Heavy rain all day today. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

rmullins wrote:The southern Ohio crowd flew down on Friday, Carl, Bob, and JC and son early in the day. I had to put in some time at the office so I didn't leave until 4pm. A 2 1/2 hour flight and then the mountains and Billy's beautiful place! I counted 11 Highlanders/ Escapades. We hung out and swapped tales Friday night then woke up Saturday morning to light rain. How can the weather people get a forecast THAT wrong only a few hours away? Luckily it was just a small cell and it quit and were we able to start the fun. First event, take off and nail a balloon they release at the other end of the runway at the same time. I kind of felt like a fighter pilot chasing down his kill. I managed to run it though the windmill and had a big grin on my face. The next event was spot landing. You could use power on your approach, but once you cut power it had to stay off until you touched down. I'm sure I didn't win that one, but I didn't embarrass myself either so I was satisfied. The next event was the much anticipated short takeoff and land contest. I didn't see the official results but Gary in the Big Black Highlander had to win the short take off. He was impressive.Troy was flying the factory tricycle Escapade. Wow is he good at flying just above stall and dropping it RIGHT on the line about every time. Me, I was happy. I was probably middle of the pack but I think I won the "who scattered the most people" award for my first attempt at floating in just above stall. By afternoon a check of the weather showed lots of rain headed between me and home, with even more for the next day or two so I decided to cut out while I could so I missed the limbo and coyote shoot (can't wait to hear the stories from THAT one).

I want to thank Billy for organizing this and making available his beautiful place. You do a great job and are a fabulous host. It was really great to meet some other folks and see some old friends. I really hope you keep this going. You can count on me to show up every year. But you need to get better connections over at the weather service...

thanks again!

I fully concur with Rick. Even though the weather didn't cooperate and only about half of the scheduled Highlanders showed up, it was still a great time. I really enjoyed getting to see the planes there and meet many of the Highlander family. I also got my first ride in a Escalander (Escapade wing/Highlander tail) thanks to Bob ? Sorry I don't remember the last name but he used to work at the factory. Great flying plane.
I think it is really great that Billy takes the time and works so hard to put this event together along with Just Aircraft (thanks guys). The place is beautiful and it was worth the 8 hour drive each way. Hopefully the weather will be better next year and the show will be even bigger and better.

Later,
John Cooley
Lucedale, Ms.
Highlander kit #265 (in gestation)
Take Care,
John Cooley
N265JC reserved
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

A couple of shots of the field Saturday morning . . . these don't sweep the entire field; there were more aircraft to either side of them.

Looking northeast:
Pic 1.jpg
Looking east:
Pic 2.jpg
In addition to the Highlanders and Escapades, the fleet included a Sky Raider, a Smith Miniplane, a Boeing Stearman . . . Citabria, Maule, Cessna and Piper factory-builts . . . and an ultralight and R-22 helicopter.

Two Highlanders on the field were under construction. Scottie Blankenship trailered his Corvair-powered plane in -- it's 99.5% done and is signed off. It was in taxi testing and got some daylight under the wheels for the first time during the Fly-In. It will likely get a first flight later this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

hi all,thanks for coming and i am sorry for those of you
that couldnt get here...but you sure missed alot of fun.....so here are the results....of the games and awards....

grand champion--------tony and janet shuler
best paint ----randy stout
best interior--- carl from ohio
best panel----troy woodland
peoples choice----kim whetzel
most innovative----scott blankenship

ballon pop---phil largen
spot landing ---vic payne
short field take off----mike vilardo----75 feet
short landing----g-dog----95 feet
limbo----troy woodland
coyote shoot---steve poncharic shooter..vic payne pilot
bomb drop----sorry but ran out time to get it
over all games winner ----rick mullins
farthest distance traveled ---gregg largen

16 highlanders/escapades
10 others
325 people throughout the weekend

i have some shirts left so call or email me ...25 dollars and ill ship it to you...

i would like to thank everyone for there help

i would like to thank our sponsors..............david hourtiquin heavy timber enginering.......plane fun aircraft......

REMEMBER PLANE FUN DAYS 2013 ...2ND WEEKEND IN MAY
THANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANK
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

hi all,
the just aircraft plane fun days is the 2nd weekend in may just like always .may 10, 11, and 12 the year 2013.
check last years post for arrival procedures.
if your planning on coming in commercial we will be picking up at 6 pm friday the 10th and getting you back to the airport at 4pm on sunday.
that airport being atl international. just let me know of your flights times ect.
we have a lot of fun stuff in the works for this year, so be ready to fly your a.... off.
please let me know if theres any special arrangements for anything that i can help you with.i will have hotel info coming soon and will provide transportation any time for that.
i would like input for things to make plane fun days more enjoyable so please let me know. if anyone can control the weather i would pay big bucks for sunny no wind conditions for the event.
i will keep yall posted . thanks billy 828 557 4833 if you need to call..

Return to “Just Aircraft”