Just Aircraft Annual Fly-IN

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Just Aircraft Annual Fly-IN

Post by SheepdogRD »

john2 wrote:. . . It was funny watching them plonk down the SuperSTOL aircraft and then slide to a stop because the grass was wet.
. . . and, again, just for the record, their slide-to-a-stop-on-wet-grass landings were still shorter than 'most any other airplane can make on any surface. 8)
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Saturday Afternoon at the Highlander Fun Days at Billy's place. This panorama was shot with an app on my iPad called Photosynth. The image is actually three dimensional when viewed through the app. Once I figure out how to share it in 3D I will try posting it again. Till then it captures everyone and everything at the fun fly. Watching the flying was a blast. It would have been a lot more fun to actually be participating. Some day soon I hope! Janet and I drove down from Cleveland, OH on Friday, visited Billy's on Saturday, Biltmore Estate on Sunday, Just Aircraft factory on Monday and headed home on Tuesday. A lot of driving but we had some good times. Enjoy the photo.

Joe B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Frank, nice write-up and I can only add:
What incredible Fun!

I finally made it home to Merritt Island after spending a night at my brother Bill's strip in North Florida.

The 'Brothers Payne' , - Billy and Vic are the definitition of Southern Hospitality.
I felt like I was coming 'home' when brother Bill and I flew into that georgous grass strip on Thurs.
This is where Billy checked me out in Highlanders last year and made sure I wasn't going to do anything Too Stupid! I think he accomplished the job!

We had a great gathering of aircraft and when the folks from Just arrived with the familys, it was like a clan reunion.
DSC06663.JPG
More pretty airplanes:
DSC06662.JPG
Oooppps, how'd that Rans S-7 slip in there?
Oh, -- that was the emmissary from Ohio Bush Planes, Greg Swingle, paying omage to 'REAL' bush aircraft.
BTW, Greg, thanks for the fresh asparagras which got flown back to Florida, steamed and added to salads, - Yummm!

The Saturday nite party was one for the record books, - fantastic grilling by Nita and the gang and beer and spirits galour!
Between Gary and Billy, they had the girls cornered on the dance floor:
DSC00011.JPG
Dancin1.jpg
Billy, I haven't worked up the nerve to try that "apple juice", but maybe by this Fri. I'll be ready for a taste.

Again, thanks to Billy, Vic and their families and the Just Aircraft family for a terrific weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wes on Thu May 16, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

hi all,
i posted this already but i dont see it on here so i will try it again..
I would like to thank everyone for all of there help. I really enjoy hosting this event for just aircraft.. all of you guys that hung out sunday and helped was fantastic. thank you.. on that note i am open and willing to take suggestions to make this event better ,easier,or more fun for next year..so dont be shy..
here are the awards from memory so jump me if i get it wrong.

limbo john delk
ballon pop stacie and vic
coyote shoot mike and john
bomb drop dick and scott
spot landing phil largen
short field take off troy
short field landing g dog

best panel chuch trenam
best interior tony and janet
most innovative wes whitley
best paint phil largen
peoples choice kim whetzel
grand champion dan liles

thanks everyone ill see you next year and hopefully you guys that think you can fly in sat morning will leave on thursday next year..
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Joe B,

Whereabouts are you from the Cleveland area? I grew up in Medina and lived in Wadsworth for quite a while before moving to the God-foresaken region of the country called "New England" (they didn't get it right this time, either). I used to work out of CLE (for about 9 years) and at 1G5. My father built a Sonex and is building a Onex down in Medina right now, keeping the Sonex at 1G5.

I loved that area, I wish I was back there now.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Dane, I fly out ouf Lorain County and my home is about five miles East of the airport. Elyria Airport is a couple thousand feet West of my home. I have flown into Skypark and Wadsworth several times and went to EAA Electronics seminar there. Slypark is like riding a roller coaster! How far along is the Sonex?
Joe B
poncho83

Post by poncho83 »

Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone that had a hand in the "Just Plane Fun" fly-in. The fly-in was a ball! And the people were amazing. I am new to the airplane world and to this forum. I am currently helping my brother-in-law convert his Highlander to a SuperSTOL. Hoping to one day have a SuperSTOL of my own.

Jon Barth
-----------------------
Jon Barth
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

My father's sonex is done, I did the test flights on it in 2005 and he has a couple hundred hours on it. Google images for "n224sx" and you will see pictures of it. Mirror polish. Taught me I don't ever want a polished airplane, but it sure is pretty. He built that one from plans (started on it before sonex offered kits).

The onex will fly this year, he is installing firewall forward right now. The airframe is done. Just needs paint, cowl, final wiring, and whatever other little things he finds before inspection time. It was a pre-drilled kit, still a LOT more work than a highlander, and he has been working on it for less time than I have been working on my highlander, and MUCH closer to flying than I am. Then again, he is retired, not in Afghanistan for a year, and works on it for a few hours EVERY day.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Hi Folks,
For those of you that wasn't fortunate enough to make the fly-in this year I have been putting up videos of some of the event as I get time and my slow connection will allow. You will probably be able to tell that I was partial to the SuperSTOL in my videos. You can see a list of them here http://www.youtube.com/user/380jcooley/videos
I have a lot of them so I will probably be putting some more up over the next week or two.

Take Care,
#265 converted to SuperSTOL
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

John,
Great videos!
Thanks for sharing.
It was fun to see you and your wife at Billy's.

I hear that the first cut of my brothers video production is almost ready. I'll post the details when it's finished.
Congrats on the new wings and I want to see that thing fly!

Wes
Kit # 95
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Wes wrote:John,
Great videos!
Thanks for sharing.
It was fun to see you and your wife at Billy's.

I hear that the first cut of my brothers video production is almost ready. I'll post the details when it's finished.
Congrats on the new wings and I want to see that thing fly!

Wes

Wes,
The wife and I really enjoyed getting to visit with y'all. It was a lot of great fun and fellowship. I'm already looking forward to next year. I hope that I can have as nice looking plane as yours at the fly-in next year.
Can't wait to see your brother's video. I'm going to buy a copy as soon as it's available.

Take Care,
John Cooley
#265 converted to SuperSTOL
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

At the risk of dragging this topic out some more, -------

My brother put up a short video on Youtube from the May fly-in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prE1PXq0 ... e=youtu.be

Good stuff! I never get tired of watching Troy and Gary put that SuperSTOL through it's paces.

Looking forward to next year at Brasstown if Billy is ready to put up with us again.

108 hours on my Highlander and each hour gets more fun!

Wes
Kit # 95
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Great video Wes :D , thanks!!!
Steve D N419LD
Bevan
Forum Regular

Post by Bevan »

Could somebody PLEASE update this thread for 2015?
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

Yes I know I suck at this computer stuff..have to much going on..the flyin is labor day weekend..I've got some really cool stuff in the works for this year..I will get schedule up after s n f ..after I get feed back on my plans. .....y'all get off the computer and get to work!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”