I'm ready to cover wings, any helpful suggestions?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Re: I'm ready to cover wings, any helpful suggestions?

Post by stede52 »

This is what what I'm talking about. The finished hinge is not of a Highlander hinge but it shows you what the finished look is, much stronger and a nicer finished product. I wish I would have done it on mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve D N419LD
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Very nice
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Steve,
Did you put the anti chafe tape on the trailing edges of the flaps and ailerons also?

Gary
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

yes, I like to protect the fabric from any metal edge, especially where the fabric can vibrate again a metal edge.
Steve D N419LD
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

stede52 wrote:Another thing that really works well on the hinges, is to glue in a wood block between the aluminum hinge plates, its not required but it makes for a much stronger hinge post and cleans up the look of hinge.
stede52 wrote:. . . I wish I would have done it on mine.
That hinge looks great, and I'm going to take that advice. Balsa seems like the perfect material for this, since it's very strong and very light. Hobby shops should have it.

Hobby Lobby's SKU#782458 is a 1/4" x 3" x 36" balsa sheet, currently $4.99 (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.a ... mId=193880). Cut carefully, it'll be enough to handle all 12 spacers. If you want a little breathing room, and some extra in case you cut something wrong, their SKU#782615 is a 1/4" x 4" x 36" sheet for $6.99 (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/balsa-sheet-782615/).
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Another thought would be to use light Plywood, also carried by hobby shops, which is 50% lighter then regular ply but much stronger then balsa.
Steve D N419LD
JackLeroux
Forum Regular

Post by JackLeroux »

Steve,

My wings are pretty much complete and all that is left is the body filler work.... I think. Are you using the anti chafe tape in place of using body filler where trailing edges attach to ribs on wings and flight controls? The factory pictures (CD) show a lot of body filler use on the wings, could you tell us where you use body filler and where you use anti chafe tape in its place?

Thanks,

Jack
Jim 541
Forum Regular

Post by Jim 541 »

Just take your time and remember that any rough spots will show through from here on out to the finished paint.
Jim
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I really like the idea of gluing in a wood block between the aluminum hinge plates. I had some 1/4" balsa in my shop and test fit one with a clamp, it would make the hinge stand off indestructible.

I am always walking around the wing in the shop with caution fearing I am going to catch one of those and bend it right off the wing.

Does there have to be flex in the hinge plates to capture the hinge bushing so it doesn't rotate and wear out the hinge plate?

Has anyone done this yet? I'm wondering how it works out.

Thanks in advance,

Fred
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Fred,

Yes, I did mine that way and I am very pleased with the result. It makes for a very strong hinge point and looks great, IMHO. I used some nice dry white pine that I had in the shop. I sealed the sides with 2 part epoxy primer, then sanded and epoxied them in place. I filed and sanded the edges and then covered the edges in epoxy primer to seal the edges. Once completed, they got painted with the wing and look like they belong there.

The added benefit of this is that the insert acts as a stop for the flaps and ailerons to prevent overextension and set the upper limit of the flaps. Just remember to file the hinge ends with a rat-tail file to get them round and provide just the right amount of deflection before you seal and paint them. The rounded edge shows a bit in the second photo if you look closely. I'm sure you will be happy with the result... I sure was!

Dan
Modified Hinge Bracket Flap Mounted.jpg
Hinge Finished.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Dan,

That looks great!

Just wondering if the bushing is clamped firmly between the hinge plates in your plane and immobile respective the hinge plates?

I have only my wing to cover now so this week I'll be fitting the controls again and seeing how this is going to work. But it looks like a good mod!

Thanks,

Fred
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Fred,

It's been over a year now, but I believe the bushing was nicely clamped between the plates when the bolt and nut were tightened, allowing the flap or aileron to rotate freely on the bushing.

I'm just spending a bit of time cleaning up the airframe and doing the window dressing stuff as my plane is essentially complete and flyable. I am waiting to remove the preservative and add oil to the new 912uls until just before I am ready to do the preflight testing. It's been too cold and crappy to do much flying anyway, so it may be spring before I get my bird in the air.

Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Excellent, on my list to complete now.

Thanks

Fred
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

My suggestion is to marry Lelia

Return to “Just Aircraft”