Aileron/Flap Cables

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Re: Aileron/Flap Cables

Post by BucF16 »

SheepDog, I printed out your templets, (as I had the same problem as the Sonex293 boys had). All your templates were exactly the same size after I cut them. When I laid them against my unused false rid (the one behind the tank) it fit perfectly in the spar curvature, but are about an 1/8th in. from the cap strips (just outside the glue line), and 3/16s from the trailing edge. They actually fit very well just inside the glue line. Does this sound like they are accurate? Or should they fit snuggly against the capstrips. It could be my % on the pdf, it stated 131%??? But still they fit the spar....

Also

With the amount of Hysol the the factory uses at the spar junction, I think it will be difficult to lay the templet out. It appears that one of the holes will go thru the Hysol. So, any thoughts?

You have been very helpful!

Thanks you,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

BucF16 wrote:SheepDog, I printed out your templets, (as I had the same problem as the Sonex293 boys had). All your templates were exactly the same size after I cut them. When I laid them against my unused false rid (the one behind the tank) it fit perfectly in the spar curvature, but are about an 1/8th in. from the cap strips (just outside the glue line), and 3/16s from the trailing edge. They actually fit very well just inside the glue line. Does this sound like they are accurate?
Yes, that sounds right. I left enough play in there to lay the templates in without curling the edges. They should be placed close up against the spar tubes.
BucF16 wrote:With the amount of Hysol the the factory uses at the spar junction, I think it will be difficult to lay the templet out. It appears that one of the holes will go thru the Hysol. So, any thoughts?
I lined the templates up with the spar, lay the aft tip on the rib, pushed the template against the rib, and just let the template curl on the epoxy. I was most concerned about the hole center positions. I did have to drill into the epoxy, but there's more epoxy added when we glue in the tubes, so I figured it wasn't likely to reduce the strength of the joint.

I went back and checked the template with our #1 rib, and it matches the template if the template is held up to the spar. I can't check the others because our wings are covered. I'll be in a hangar with a finished Highlander later this week, and I'll check the templates against it.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Barkley Smith measured the cable positions on the Highlander he's repairing, and confirmed that they match the templates.
IMG_0852 s.jpg
I also checked the templates against the pulley positions on mine, and that measurement confirms them, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz

BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

WOW!! Thank you very much. This forum is fantastic. I have another Question for you all. This should be easy. My lift strut attach brackets must be larger than those in the past. Mine are not powder coated but anodized. Having "Just" supply every quick build option, I had them make the fabric backing plates. Below is a picture of my problem. Should I grind a notch or open both sides to accept the bracket?

The front has the same issue.

Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Builder web site:
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Bruce,
It appears the new bracket may be a touch longer, but your problem should be solved by cutting the fabric backing plate. Don't grind the bracket as it could weaken the structure a bit. The fabric backing plate is only for gluing the fabric to, so cutting the opening slightly larger will not affect structural integrity.
Here are a couple of pictures of mine... You can see that I filed a couple of roundish notches to allow the plate to fit the bracket.
20120411_001847.jpg
20120411_001833.jpg
I hope that helps,
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Dan Thank you! Very much
Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I did the fabric plates like Dan did... I nibbled away at 'em until they fit. They're non-structural, so the important things here are (1) to make a solid place to glue the fabric and (2) to make sure the plates are installed so they line up with the structures the fabric will connect with -- the adjacent ribs and the trailing edge.

These brackets on the front spars are likely the ugliest places on the plane... humps in the middle of straight spars. You want to add just enough filler to give the fabric a smooth surface to transition across.

EDIT: If you're installing the leading edge cuffs, you should note that the front brackets are pretty much covered by the cuffs, so you can eliminate much or all of the Bondo there.
Last edited by SheepdogRD on Thu May 05, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added information on leading edge cuffs.
Richard Holtz

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I updated the templates to note that the wings are upside down in the drawings. While I don't think it's been a problem for anyone, I wanted to be sure it's clear at final assembly when routing cables. I also changed the filename.

Highlander Wing Cable Guide Templates.pdf
Richard Holtz

Return to “Just Aircraft”