TAKING THE PLUNGE . . . VIKING HF-110 ENGINE

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rjohnson

Re: TAKING THE PLUNGE . . . VIKING HF-110 ENGINE

Post by rjohnson »

It really gets fun when the engine is on the plane. It is too bad about all the delays - but - seems like there is always somthing to do on the plane in the mean time.

BobJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Just wanted to keep this topic near the top to remind those out there intending to use Vikings to keep posting updates. Even information on orders and delivery are valuable information for those of us keeing an eye on the Viking.
rjohnson

Post by rjohnson »

I'm going to the Viking factory Mon. to pick up my Highlander engine mount (new one with the additional gussets) and the cowl. Rumor has it the gear reduction is due in early next week.

BobJ
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

I haven't been able to mount my engine yet due to it being a nose wheel plane. I got the engine hoisted up and ready to mount but quickly realized that the engine would not clear the nose gear supports. I called Jan and after a day or two he posted pictures of how to modify the nose gear set up to make the engine fit but it was too late for me because I had to take off for a 2 week long work trip. When I get back tomorrow I plan on modifying the nose gear supports and mounting the engine.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
ondi

Post by ondi »

http://www.meyette.us/RV-7Ahome.htm
read the engine info, EGGENFELLNER INFO,
lets just hope that viking wont turn into egg subaru. I would be very carefull. Rotax might be @ 10k more,
but it is well worth it considering 912 is proven engine with long operating history, exists in certified version, many service centers around the US and peace of mind that manufacture is going to be here most likely for a while.
Elvin

Post by Elvin »

WOW previouse post is scary. Good luck :shock:
DM50

Post by DM50 »

RJ,I've been following the Viking for quite a long time and believe you have made a great choice.Even though it's not certified it's also not 40 year old technology.State of the art Honda engineering at reasonable cost cannot be beat.My Highlander will also get one.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I would also say the Honda technology is sound, its the parts that are hung on the engine, like the gear box that will be the issue. There is a great articale in the Contact Magazine (Jan 2012) which details the problems with the Eggenfellner Subaru engine and it wasn't the engine it was his gearbox design that was flawed. Hopefully he has learned from that mistake. The gear box and delivery are the only issues I would be concerned about with the Viking.
Steve D N419LD
DM50

Post by DM50 »

Hey Steve,I too have questioned the PSRU on the Viking.There have been great improvements to this unit,I am sure there were lessons learned from the past.Harmonic pulses from the prop to crankshaft have been tamed with a flex coupler that seems to be a great solution,also software has been made available to create a soft start and shut down which can only improve durability.Time will tell but I think these guys have got it this time.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

DM50, that's good to hear, the article was very specific as to the problems with his gearbox and there is now a new replacement gearbox, 200Z PSRU, which corrects all the problems.
Steve D N419LD
ondi

Post by ondi »

sounds like DM50 is working for viking. do you guys realize that you are getting most likely used engine with new prsu and new accessories. Viking quotes that if you completely trash your engine you can get replacement in 500 - 1000 usd range, I dont think it is factory new longblock or short block for this price. Now let me tell you what used engine can be treated like. I do haul cars for living. Now and then I transport cars from insurance auctions for junk yards. example from last week. I dont do not running cars unless priced right, I show up at the auction for car with damage, but run and drive. It turns out that front end is smashed to the point radiator, condenser, cooler is busted, even throttle cable bracket is broken so no throttle control. I call the junkyard asking for more money as it`s a lot more for with inop. They refuse to pay an extra, so I make car running fix the throttle to 3/4 starts with no radiator and drive on trailer having to hold it on brake reall hard. Than I have to do it few more times as this car is not last in first out. Would you want engine out opf this car in you airplane?. Just a thought, it`s not always like that but many times it is. 30000 mile engine if averages 40 mph has 750 hours. but I might be wrong and viking can be using new engines, I just didn see it mentioned on website.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I talked to the Viking people last year at Sun-n-Fun, and they were very upfront that these are not new engines. I didn't ask how far they're torn down and inspected.

I thought the engine looked pretty interesting. In the long run, though, I was persuaded to skip the Viking after reading some accounts of Jan's "customer service" antics. For instance, read post #17 on page 2 of this thread, from the guy who tried a Viking in his SeaRay: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... hp?t=82415.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
wayira
Forum Regular

Post by wayira »

I was also looking at the Viking engine. Since these are used Honda fit engines I checked to see if there was any recalls and there is: "Honda will recall model years 2009 and 2010 Fit vehicles to replace the lost motion springs, components within the engine valvetrain. The lost motion springs, which are compressed by rocker arms in normal engine use, may bend or break over time resulting in abnormal engine noise and potentially causing engine damage or stalling." If I had or was buying the Viking engine, that was an 09 or 10, I would want to know if that recall was fixed. It's one thing to stall on the road, but a totally different thing for the engine to stall in the air.
Last edited by wayira on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

It started out at $11,999, is now at $13,500
Just to keep some perspective, I believe the $11,999 was only an introductory price, and at least Rotax has never raised the price of their engines.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
DM50

Post by DM50 »

I don't work for Viking,but thanks for the compliment ondi.With a little research you will find all the improvements along the way including a state of the art mandrel bent intake system which improves thrust and efficiency and more than likely justifies the added cost.As far as Vikings business practices I doubt they are running engines without coolant just to make a few extra bucks.

Return to “Just Aircraft”