TAKING THE PLUNGE . . . VIKING HF-110 ENGINE

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

TAKING THE PLUNGE . . . VIKING HF-110 ENGINE

Post by bluemax »

Well, it's taken a good long time to decide on which airplane I want to build. I've looked at everything from a Cessna 182 to a RV-12, 7a, 8a, 9a, Rans S-7S, S-19, Zenith CH-750 and CH-650. But in the end, the Highlander is the winner. . . and that won't surprise anyone on this group.

The next thing I needed to decide was on an engine. Now I could make this real easy, and just "go with the flow" and use a Rotax 912-S. Problem is, I despise Rotax. They know they have a virtual monopoly on the LSA market, but I am not willing to go there. When I built my Tiger Cub from plans, I could have used a Rotax 503, but I simply wouldn't. It took a long time to find an alternative, but I ended up with an MZ-202 from Compact Radial Engines, and never looked back. Great engine....more horsepower, lighter, cheaper, and a clutch to boot!

It's just that the Rotax is too expensive, and they have price increases everytime you turn around. Parts are even worse. And Rotax doesn't much care what you think. . . if you want it, you will pay the price.

I had already decided that I would probably put a Jabiru 3300 on the Highlander, or even a ULPower UL350-is (I think it's a little more than the Rotax, but I don't care...at least Rotax wouldn't get my money). Just ANYTHING but the Rotax. But then, along came the Viking HF-110. Fuel injection, 87 oct auto gas, super smooth, and cheap. . .$13k. Seemed too hard to believe. I've been following their group, and one thing for sure, Jan Eggenfellner sure believes in it. They just got back from Oshkosh, after flying three Viking-equipped aircraft from Florida, one of which was an Escapade ( I do not remember where he joined with the group?). Jan says that the Escapade was the fastest, with a reduced power setting of 4800 rpm and 100 mph so that the CH-701 could keep up. . . I think Jan feels about Rotax the same way I do.

With all of that, I have decided to use the Viking HF-110. I think I read where there is a "show discount" available through today, that drops the regular price of $13,000 down to $11,900. I won't need the engine for quite awhile. I still have to order my Highlander kit, and I can't take delivery until my 40x40 pole garage is built! And I can't do that until I demolish my 16x26 barn. . . so I've got to get busy.

One more thing. . . is there anyone else on this forum who is using a Viking on their Highlander?
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
BobJ

Re: TAKING THE PLUNGE . . . VIKING HF-110 ENGINE

Post by BobJ »

I have ordered the HF110 for my Highlander and am going to the factory (just So. of Daytona) to pick it up this Fri. There is a DVD on the Viking site that is VERY helpful with install info. Looking forward to tyhe install process & having Troy go over all with a fine tooth comb.
Bobj
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

I too took the plunge and ordered a Viking. I'll be picking mine up in December but I'd love to hear what Troy has to say.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
Bevan
Forum Regular

Post by Bevan »

On a tip from Jak last October I looked at the Viking. I laughed at it at first because from the beginning of my build (5 years ago) I had planned on a Jabiru 2200. The Viking didn't fit any of my notions about an aircraft engine but the more I looked at it the better I liked it until I took Jan up on the $1000 discount last November. Delivery was promised for April, then August, now December. I'm disappointed but not disheartened because it probably still going to take me that long to finish my build. Based on Jan's recommendation I'm getting the 3-blade Warpdrive prop.

Whether we like it or not we're the Beta testers.

Happy landings,

Bob
busdriver
Forum Regular

Post by busdriver »

Hi All,

I am also looking at starting a Highlander kit soon and would like to get a Viking engine for it.

I know so many people with Honda products and they are never disappointed. I have a mechanic who swears by Honda and I think the Viking guys are on the right track for producing an engine which the light aircraft community can afford.

It would be neat to see a Highlander kit become available with a viking cowl etc. :idea:
BobJ

Post by BobJ »

I went to Jan's shop two eeks ago and paid for the Viking. Took a lot of time talking with Jan & checking out the changes over the design he has made (new injector body, new gears in the reduction drive) and the reasons behind each change. I also am anxious to get my engine but had to fall in line with the others. One good thing is I'm not far from his shop & I can visit from time to time. Also - Jerry is flying his Escapade down next week & he and Jan are making patterns for the plates to mount the larger hedder tank & fuel pump brackets. I'm planning on showing up to see if I can pick up the first template (still stuff to do before the engine arrives).

I'll let all know what's going on there.
Bob
wayira
Forum Regular

Post by wayira »

BobJ wrote:I went to Jan's shop two eeks ago and paid for the Viking. Took a lot of time talking with Jan & checking out the changes over the design he has made (new injector body, new gears in the reduction drive) and the reasons behind each change. I also am anxious to get my engine but had to fall in line with the others. One good thing is I'm not far from his shop & I can visit from time to time. Also - Jerry is flying his Escapade down next week & he and Jan are making patterns for the plates to mount the larger hedder tank & fuel pump brackets. I'm planning on showing up to see if I can pick up the first template (still stuff to do before the engine arrives).

I'll let all know what's going on there.
Bob
Bob,
I received an e-mail from Jan about the turbo version of the Viking engine (about $2000 more). He said they will be testing it this summer. Maybe if your going to be at Jan's shop from time to time you could keep us posted on the turbo development also?
Wayne
gbt

Post by gbt »

Just interested if anybody had recieved an engine as of yet? If so, what is the status of the install? Good and bad points? Thanks, Greg
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Basically I am posting to this thread to keep it on top of the list in the hopes that some of those that have ordered the Viking will see it and send in an update. It has been a while since any of these hopeful Viking owners have posted an update. Hopefully it is because they are busy building. That would be a great excuse wouldn't it?
Joe B
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

Its been a little frustrating with the Viking but all that patience is about to pay off.....hopefully. I got news that I will be taking delivery of my engine next week. The second round of engines was supposed to go out last December but that got pushed back a little, once I get mine I'll take some pictures for everyone.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I'm interested to see how the turboed version turns out.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

I'm on the April 20th schedule to get my Viking engine. I'm also getting the cowling made for the Highlander. The engine mount for the Viking is included in the engine price. . . a big savings.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
BobJ

Post by BobJ »

Just got back from the Sebring Expo & talked to jan about delivery status. There are about 25 engines ready for the gear reduction - but - waiting on the gears manuf. to finish up - that's the delay. The Highlander mount jig is in Jan's shop & the mounts are under construction. I am going to pick up my mount & engine this Fri. as all my wiring is done & I'm reazdy to go!! I can do the install & even start the engine w/o the prop reduction drive & have all redy when that arrives.

The wiring diagram was GREAT and I'm thinkin the 4 wires to the engine should be easy as well as the ECU connection.

This is getting really exciting!!
BobJ
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Looks like this could become a very popular thread once those engines start arriving. I'm getting excited myself and all I'm going to get to do is follow along. Don't be strangers! Maybe one could be completed in time to stop into the Highlander Flyin? I'll bet that would stir up some excitement!
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

Alright guys, my engine finally arrived today. I haven't had time to play with it much but at least the thing is here.....mostly. To start the story off I was told that everything would be shipped out in December, now halfway through Feb. I get the engine but it is missing the ECU, radiator lines, cowling, oil cooler lines and the redrive unit. A little notice with the engine says all this should be arriving in July, making the total delay 7 months! I'm not really worried that these items are back ordered, mostly because I have plenty of other work to do on the plane, but I am wondering what the delay will really be like given the broken promises I have experienced so far.

My advice to anyone wanting a Viking engine is to order it early in the build and keep track of all your correspondence. I no joke had to call them 5 times about my payments because they would receive payment and then send out the exact same invoice again like I never paid anything. I don't think they are trying to scam anyone I just think they are extremely understaffed and poor record keepers. With all that said it looks like a well built engine and I'm looking forward to getting it on the plane. Here are a few pictures for you...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223

Return to “Just Aircraft”