How about some panel pictures?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
av8rps
Veteran Member

How about some panel pictures?

Post by av8rps »

I'm thinking about redoing my panel on my Highlander and wondered if any of you were willing to share pics of your panel here? Or your proposed panel ideas? Whatever you have regarding panels, I need some inspiration. :)
Last edited by av8rps on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: How about some pane pictures?

Post by SheepdogRD »

Are you planning on going partially digital, or sticking with "steam" gauges?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

av8rps wrote:I'm thinking about redoing my panel on my Highlander and wondered if any of you were willing to share pics of your panel here? Or your proposed panel ideas? Whatever you have regarding panels, I need some inspiration. :)
I like to keep it simple. MGL Voyager, Garmin xpond and radio. Custom switches and fuse panel. Getting there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winston
Forum Regular

Post by Winston »

MGL Voyager left and Ipad right. MGL V10 COM bottom left center and Trig TT21 Xponder bottom right center.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Well, mine is simple, cheap and it worked the first time and every time (incluging the last, today) I used it. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix...

fwiw

k

009.JPG
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

KevinC wrote:Well, mine is simple, cheap and it worked the first time and every time (incluging the last, today) I used it. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix...

fwiw

k

009.JPG
I like yours a lot!
Don
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Paste: STOL Amphib instrument panel and turtle hatch draw latch PIX
....into the search box for our panel with Enigma and some steam backups.

We would not use the power panel again but, would instead wire in a row of separate toggle switches with built in individual circuit breakers for each circuit.

The labels are custom by me.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:Paste: STOL Amphib instrument panel and turtle hatch draw latch PIX
....into the search box for our panel with Enigma and some steam backups.
That search took a loooong time. Try this link instead: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=18516
Richard Holtz

av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

SheepdogRD wrote:Are you planning on going partially digital, or sticking with "steam" gauges?
I'm not sure. I like both, so it is likely I will do some of each.

I currently have a black and white Stratomaster engine and flight instrument unit in the airplane that works fine, along with a few steam gauges and a small com radio with standard King transponder, and a Garmin 296 on top the panel. So I may just end up rearranging what I have or maybe adding or changing out things. I like the DYNON units a lot of you guys are using, but also like the old fashioned look of steam gauges. So I'm hoping you guys might give me some good ideas.

And so far what I'm seeing looks great! Keep it up gang. I'm sure I'm not the only guy trying to figure out what to do with their panel...
Gil T
Veteran Member

Re: How about some panel pictures?

Post by Gil T »

New Panel.jpg
Here's another one.

Gil T
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I want some steam gauges: oil pressure, oil temperature, compass, slip indicator, maybe the AOA/LRI. For the rest, I think I want digital systems.

I've been watching the growth of iPad apps in the aviation field. I think it would be interesting to mount a pair of iPads on the panel.

On the left side, I want Engine Management System and Electronic Flight Information System data. I'm drawn to the TruTrak iMonitor EMS (http://www.trutrakap.com/products/iMonitorEMS.html). It sends data (wirelessly, via Bluetooth) to iPad or iPhone, and the display layout is customizable. For a Rotax, I think the whole system is about $1100 + iPad for the probes, engine data module and the Bluetooth sender. Here's an example EMS display on an iPad:
TruTrak iMonitor.png
TruTrak also has an EFIS (http://www.trutrakap.com/products/EFIS_GP.html), but it currently is an integrated unit. I'm hoping they'll develop a version that can use an iPad display, as well. Even better, perhaps they'll set it up so we can mix TruTrak EMS and TruTrak EFIS data on a single iPad.

On the right side of the panel, I'd like to have the WingX Pro app (http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/), or ForeFlight Mobile (http://www.foreflight.com/ipad) or a similar moving map display on a second iPad.

That combination would let us lay out a relatively inexpensive panel with lots of information. It would cost about $1000 for the two iPads. Since I'd carry my day-to-day iPad along, it would serve as a backup display in case one of the panel units should fail. <edit: That's one of the attractive things about this: I can carry a backup display at no added cost.>

I'm still pondering the comm portion of the panel. I think a handheld radio would work for us, especially if I can tie it to a built-in antenna and our headsets. The transponder looks like a significant investment, and I'd like one that can get me to ADS-B at some point. I haven't put much time into reviewing transponders, because I have a lot of building to do before I need one.
Richard Holtz

rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Before you get too far with your planning to use IPads, take them out into the sun and see if the usability/visibility will suit you. The current models wash out pretty badly in sunlight.

Xpflyr, I like the looks of your panel, but I don't think you are going to get a magnetic compass to work in that location.

I'm hoping to build a new panel this winter. I want to do something like this to get the instruments closer to these old eyes.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

rmullins wrote:I'm hoping to build a new panel this winter. I want to do something like this to get the instruments closer to these old eyes.
We've been talking about something similar, since my eyes are pretty old, too. That's Jim Pekola's 2010 Arlington Grand Champion Highlander Extreme. There are several other shots of his panel in this thread: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 47&start=0.
rmullins wrote:Before you get too far with your planning to use IPads, take them out into the sun and see if the usability/visibility will suit you. The current models wash out pretty badly in sunlight.
Thanks for that tip. Checking that out might be a good excuse to go flying. :wink:
Richard Holtz

busdriver
Forum Regular

Post by busdriver »

About the IPad idea. Some airlines now use them as electronic flight bags (sop jepp plates flight planning brieffing etc packages) and all approved. I know that in testing they performed better then most purpose built units. They should perform almost perfectly and when I get my highlander on the go this is what I intended to use. You can do a few other cool things with it like use it for your gps with moving map. If you have a wireless signal you can get live weather updates on the map and there are already a few free aviation apps that do some of this. Also some good cheap ones
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I'm still pondering the comm portion of the panel. I think a handheld radio would work for us, especially if I can tie it to a built-in antenna and our headsets. The transponder looks like a significant investment, and I'd like one that can get me to ADS-B at some point. I haven't put much time into reviewing transponders, because I have a lot of building to do before I need one
We left space for a dedicated panel mounted COM but, installed a pair of handheld NAVCOMs by Icom with outside antena and wired into stick switches/intercom/PTT. If we split up on the beach they're much better than cell phones that may be off the grid anyway.

Also have 1 VOR display on each NAVCOM for backup nav of the Enigma glass panel. One COM in each corner of the panel hanging on a bracket fits very well plus, about 20 feet of coiled antena cable behind the panel so a COM can be taken outside to a campsite chair still hooked to topside antena for best reception. I've also shot practice VOR approaches with just the digital compass/altimeter in my wristwatch combined with these handheld NAVCOMs, which keeps one very busy switching and crosschecking but, it is doable.
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Just Aircraft”