How about some panel pictures?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Re: How about some panel pictures?

Post by Johnny C! »

Ted,
How do you like the Enigma?

I have one & I hope to install my
panel this Friday!

Great idea on the compass mount!

Also, what is your glare shield made from?

Merry Christmas!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

John: I bought an Enigma because it had more features {GPS} and a lower price than the Dinon, and still does. It took a long time to learn to use it well, I'm a computer Nerd for sure. Like most guys, I used leftover Lexan from the windows to make the two piece glare shield, Its tough fit and uses the wind screen nuts to hold up the the forward halves. One half has a strip glued under it that keeps it even, the rear porition S/S sheet metel screws. Top it off with some fabric from your seats. I spent sooo much time "fiddilin" with "stuff" like this, and I'm glad I did, because it's fun. Hope this helps,and I'll be gone for Christmas. Thanks for the Christmas greeting and enjoy your Christmas as well.....Ted
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Thanks, Ted.

Be safe!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

Laid out the big items on my panel tonight. It didn't come out perfect but it should definitely do the trick! I'm sure once everything is painted it will look 10x better. What do you guys think? Also, are people mounting the throttle on that big tab on the middle/bottom of the panel area? The one that has the airplanes serial number?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Nice panel Ewalk02, what guage sheet did you use?
jtaylor
Forum Regular

Post by jtaylor »

If everybody else is going to show off....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Where did tou get that throttle quadrant? Any more pics? I hate the vernier throttle I have,I find it tough to use with the heavy rotax carb springs. thanks Glenn
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

That is a sonex throttle quadrant. Are you using an aero-carb?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
jtaylor
Forum Regular

Post by jtaylor »

That is indeed a sonex throttle quad, it is hooked to the aeroinjector. Feeding a Jab 3300. The black mount I fabricated. I felt bolting it right to the panel was too high and too far away. Seems like a nice simple part. The only thing I did not like about it is the cable nut clamps the cable to the lower lever tight so the cable nut cannot swivel. Makes the cable bend at both extremes of throw, and makes the travel feel springy and weird. Machined up a swiveling one with a set screw and ta-da! Only one extra hour of work and a brand new part can be made to work right.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

jtaylor wrote:That is indeed a sonex throttle quad, it is hooked to the aeroinjector. Feeding a Jab 3300 . . .
Did you replace the Bing during the build, or did you decide to do it after flying with the Bing?
How's the AeroInjector been -- would you recommend it?
Do you have any pictures of the modified cable nut if we want to do the same thing?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
jtaylor
Forum Regular

Post by jtaylor »

Well, can't tell how it runs, haven't even started it yet, but so close. We went aeroinjector mainly for simplicity. When you have it in your hand, it is so beautifully simple it is almost hard to believe it works. Hopefully it does. You end up losing the weight and complexity of the fuel pump, choke, carb heat and mixer box. No primer either. You gain mixture control (which I consider a plus). It has to get rid of a few pounds. After many years of building race cars, I learned if you leave a part or system off it can't bend, break or fall off. Since my fuel pump is gravity, if it quits, that's the least of my problems. I didn't take pictures of the cable nut, but if I did it all over again, I would just take the stock nut and center drill it and tap for a #4 or #6 set screw. The sonex plan has a external nylock and washer that binds against the lever. Bad plan if you would prefer the throttle cable not snappped off. One interesting thing is the aeroinjector has no bellcrank type arm to have a return spring, it is all internal. So in the event of something going wrong with the cable, the position of the slide valve would be anybodys guess. Gravity and vibration maybe to the closed position.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

SheepdogRD wrote:
jtaylor wrote:That is indeed a sonex throttle quad, it is hooked to the aeroinjector. Feeding a Jab 3300 . . .
Did you replace the Bing during the build, or did you decide to do it after flying with the Bing?
How's the AeroInjector been -- would you recommend it?
Do you have any pictures of the modified cable nut if we want to do the same thing?
Will be interesting to see how my set up works with the 3300. I had a heat box that came with my engine and like the Bing self-compinsating carb. The " Cobra Head " came with my engine as well.
Mark Jones

Post by Mark Jones »

Pic of my Panel.

I have since changed the ASI and moved the GPS. I have changed the radio from a usless Microair to a 8.33 Funkwerk ART833. The compas is now on top of the panel and the GPS is were the compas was. I will shortly be fitting a Funkwerk TRT800 Mod S Transponder where the GPS was.

Regards
Mark + G-POZA UL260i
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

Just finished my panel, whew ! Figured I'd post it in this section of the forum. I fit a 10' Dynon in, but tried my best to minimize the size of the panel. On the right side is an ipad air mount by FlyPad. A local machine shop helped me make the bends in the panel. Took a second try to get it right. On the bottom I am using an EXP Bus. I flush riveted supports at the sides and across the entire top of the panel, the .040 metal panel is very rigid now. After it was done I had it powder coated.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Very nice Fred, it looks like a certified aircraft installation.

Jack

Return to “Just Aircraft”