electric trim tab actuator

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

electric trim tab actuator

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Anybody got a pic of their electric trim-tab actuator mounting?
Thanks in advance.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Re: electric trim tab actuator

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Dave,
#241 isn't covered yet and I'm not sure if your's is open right now, but I found that with only a very small bend in the mounting supports, it was possible to space the existing holes perfectly to accomadate the Ray Allen trim servo. I just used a small clamp to squeeze the supports together until the right spacing was achieved. Here's a pic...
-Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Our plate is already in and covered. We're scraping the standard manual system because it quickly broke the piano wire.

Does the Ray Allen trim actuator box have to be shimmed at an angle to line up its arm with the trim tab bellcrank?
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

Pic's thanks to Steve. I did it like this as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:Does the Ray Allen trim actuator box have to be shimmed at an angle to line up its arm with the trim tab bellcrank?
It doesn't appear to be too far out of alignment with the pre-welded bellcrank. Since bellcranks tend to have an inherent change in the angle of motion as they move through their range, it's not likely going to be an issue. I haven't mounted it permanently yet, but I'll check it and shim as required when I do the final assembly to get it in alignment at the centre of the range of movement.

Regards,
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Thanks, they look good.
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

xpflyr,
Which model Ray Allen did you purchase?

Thanks,
Gary
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I've always used the T3-12a because you want a very slow moving servo since you need very little movement.
Steve D N419LD
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

gkremers wrote:xpflyr,
Which model Ray Allen did you purchase?

Thanks,
Gary
11-02065 T3-12A RAC SERVO ONLY
11-02040 RAC CLEVIS / PUSHROD
AirCraft Spruce.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Thanks... I'll get one on order. Any pics or description of how the wires are run from the servo to the fuselage.

Gary
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

There a good bit of information on the Ray Allen Company website at http://www.rayallencompany.com. Here's a link to their instructions: http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia ... 2andT3.pdf.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

The installation is pretty simple. I put the electric trim in because the wire to mine broke and if you want your day to start with some excitement try flying with a fluttering elevator tab. I put the wire inside the fabric and just fished it through a hole next to the fuselage. As you can see by the pictures the trim switch is next to the throttle where you can set it with your finger without taking your hand off of the throttle. I would recommend this over having it on the stick. If you are flying in turbulence you will probably end up hitting the transmit button when you want the trim and vice versa. I think I had to trim a little off of the vertical tab to fit the rod from the Ray Allen unit. The fairing came from Sky Raider LLC in Caldwell. I seen those folks at the Arlington fly in.

Gil T.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Gil T wrote:The fairing came from Sky Raider LLC in Caldwell.
I emailed Sky Raider, and they replied, "We did sell them in the past but we decided that it was bad business. . . We are only providing them in our kits at this time."

:cry:
Richard Holtz

JustMaybe

Post by JustMaybe »

For what it's worth, HighWing LLC has elevator trim fairings. A little clunkier than the Sky Raider one, perhaps... but maybe a bit more form-fitting.

http://www.highwingllc.com/elevatortrim.html

Note that the price on the order page is a little higher than on the product page; not sure which is correct.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I've looked around a little, and I wonder if we couldn't use something like the a model aircraft canopy from Park Flyer Plastics. I'm looking at the Aurora, which is 11" x 3 1/4" x 3"; it might be cut to the size and shape needed.
Trim Servo Fairing 2 s.jpg
At $6 (plus $2 postage), it's probably worth a try. They have 99 different canopies, plus other pieces that might work well (engine nacelles, drop tanks, etc.). Here's the link to the page containing the Aurora information: http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index ... 20a&page=4.

[EDIT]: There's another model that looks even better: the Geobat 28 inch. It's 6-1/2" long X 3-3/4" wide X 2" tall, and costs only $3:
Trim Servo Fairing - Geobat 28 s.jpg
[/EDIT]

I'll admit that the Sky Raider unit is the best I've seen. I'd love to have its clone.
Last edited by SheepdogRD on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Holtz

Return to “Just Aircraft”