electric trim tab actuator

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
smiley
Forum Regular

Re: electric trim tab actuator

Post by smiley »

so my question is why add the electric trim if you seldom use it? Not making fun of anyone here just wondering if the wiring, weight, switches are worth the effort?
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

smiley wrote:so my question is why add the electric trim if you seldom use it? Not making fun of anyone here just wondering if the wiring, weight, switches are worth the effort?
Good question. Reliability was the biggest reason for me, there are numerous reports of broken Bowden cables so this seemed like the best way to go. I did not weigh the Bowden cable but the electric trim installation is very light and I would be surprised if it weighed more. I also like the idea of having the position display on my panel.

Everyone will use their trim differently and some Just Aircraft models may require it more than others. On some other models of aircraft I have flown if you didn't trim there was a lot of weight felt on the controls, so much that it could almost be dangerous not to use the trim.

If I were to build another aircraft I would still go with electric trim.

Jack
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

Since Skyraider and Highwing are both gone now, has anyone found a source for a fiberglass blister faring or is everyone just making their own?
Av8r3400
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

Simple is good.
ransomrocket994

Post by ransomrocket994 »

I looked and looked but didn't find anything I really liked, so I just made my own
Alex Coonan
#395 SuperSTOL/Lycoming O-235
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Bringing back an old post. Just wanted to add my pics to the thread. Nothing new here, I too drilled a new smaller hole above the stock one and then cut away the unneeded material. Got the tab filed to final shape. After determining the center position on the servo I attached the clevis and ran the servo with a 9 volt battery to it's limits in each direction without binding. Works great.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread about adding a washer to increase the thickness of the tab. I think since that post the factory went to a thicker tab because mine is exactly the right width to fit the clevis perfectly. It is plenty strong as it is now.

Clark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Just Aircraft”