Molded Highlander windshields

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Molded Highlander windshields

Post by stede52 »

I'm setting the price of the molded 1/8" acrylic windshields at $350+shipping. The kit will include: installation guidelines, two aluminum brackets, 1/2"OD rivet washers for 1/8" rivets. Other hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, rivets or acrylic drill bits can be provided for an additional cost. I'm going to be receiving a rotax boot cowl next week so I can verify whether of not the windshields will fit and I'll post those results then.
If you're interested contact me at: stede52@comcast.net, or 425-417-7943
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stede52 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve D N419LD
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Re: Molded Highlander winshields

Post by xpflyr »

I bought one.
I can't wait to get it. Steve does excellent work. I hope my Highlander comes out half as nice as his, well maybe 75%. :lol:
Don
Dauckster

Post by Dauckster »

I will have to really consider this. I believe we have the rotax boot cowl for the Areovee so will be anxious to see if it fits the same.
Brian #37 Escapade Rio Creek WI
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Hi Steve,
If the Rotax boot cowl fits, put me on the list for one.

BTW...The check for the transition panels will go out tomorrow.

Thanks
Gary
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I just fitted a rotax boot cowl to my plane and the the windshields will fit the rotax boot cowl. I just need to know when you order the windshield if you have the rotax or Jabiru boot cowl.
Steve D N419LD
helmetfire
Forum Regular

Re: Molded Highlander windshields

Post by helmetfire »

That's good news. I'm about 90% sure I'll be using a rotax, and about 90% sure I'll be buying one of your windshields :D Im not quite ready though, is this a limited production run???
Aaron
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

It won't be a limited run, and I don't expect to sell a bunch right away, however, I found after 1-2 years my windshields began to craze due to the sun, this will be a good replacement when that happens.
Steve D N419LD
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Steve: You know I want and need one, now it's time find out how to package and ship this product efficently. My friend Gil Tucker will be at EAA Arlington this summer, but that won't work for me. So, take some time find a good package/box for your new coustmers, and rember that I need 2 or 3 inches extra lip in the skylight aera. I'm ready when you have things sorted out. TED, with the Trilander.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Well, it looks like I'm going to be building another mold for the rotax windshield :roll: . After looking close at it yesterday, there is a pressure point I want elliminate so the windshield touches all the way arount the windshield faring without any pressure. I'll keep the forum posted.
Steve D N419LD
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Steve: I checked the distance from the S/S firewall to the overlap step at 7/8" for my boot cowl. Also, I have 11 bolt holes to fasten windscreen on. The wing cups have 9 holes per side, so it looks like I'll need at least 29 of your 1/2" x 1/8" washers. cheers-Ted
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Got it Ted,
I completed the new mold for the rotax and I looks like it's going to work better then the other one. I'll try it out next week.
Steve D N419LD
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Hi guys.... sorry for my lack of understanding here but what are the advantages of the acrylic windshield?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

The primary reason is the ability to have a 1/8" windshield that doesn't vibrate or craze after time, and if that is your goal Lexan is not the way to go. The composition make up of Lexan makes it very difficult to mold, and to do so it requires a long preliminary drying period to eliminate the absorbed moisture, high temps required for molding (475degrees), short working times and on top if it all you can never polish the micro-scratches out of it like you can with acrylic. Certified aircraft also use acrylic for the same reasons. It's not as strong as Lexan and therefore you normally go to a thicker material to compensate and the weight difference (in my opinion) is minor compared to the fact you now have a windshield that you can maintain. :D
Steve D N419LD
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

Steve

Are you going to be at Arlington in July with one of your new windshields? I would like to see what they look like. I'm on my second windshield and I do know that lexan is pretty hard to keep scratch free. Maybe if you never clean the bugs off of it it'll work.

Gil T
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Gil,
Yes, I'll have them at Arlington on display.
Steve D N419LD

Return to “Just Aircraft”