Molded Highlander windshields

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Molded Highlander windshields

Post by stede52 »

You're very welcome Gary :D
Steve D N419LD
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I love the looks of mine sitting on my workbench now for several months. :(
I just can't pull the trigger in grounding the plane to get the work done!
*sigh*
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I got one tinted order so I just need a couple more to make a run of tinted windshields.
Steve D N419LD
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Is that windshield maker Steve Dentz standing proudly in front of a Carbon Cub on page 25 of the latest SportAviation? If so, very nice looking airplane. Gee....wonder if it has one of those Dentz molded windshields? :D :D
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Yep! that's me :D :D
Steve D N419LD
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Just a reminder to get your order in for a windshield ASAP because I will be ordering materials shortly after Christmas. It will be 4-6 mos before the next run of windshields.

With the current orders, I have enough tinted orders to make a run of them this time. I will be contacting those currently on the list for windshields to see if any of them would like to change to tinted.

Thanks for all your support and have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Years :D :D
Steve D N419LD
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Just wanted to let you everyone know that I have a couple of windshields left out of this run, one tinted and two clear.
Steve D N419LD
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Howdy from Texas, Y'all!

Well, I've finished installing my new Steve Dentz windshield upgrade. Whew!

I loaded up the Highlander and trailered it home. The box was waiting. The first day was "demolition". That was also the day I remembered the windshield didn't come with the sunroof. Oh well. Fortunately, as I was asking an IA friend where he bought another friends Cherokee window replacement stock, he offered me a partial sheet of 3/16" acrylic. It sounded too thick, but heck, it was free. Turns out it was 3/32" Lexan. Hey, it was still free and much more suitable.

I made a "rib" from hardware store 1-1/2" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock, and installed it in the middle of the sunroof. This should, and has, eliminated the "oil canning". Then a bunch more work ensued over the next 3 weeks. I figured it would take a week, but allowed 2, only to have it take 3 weeks. Not a big deal, as I really like fooling with the Highlander.

Let's see if I can post these pictures in the right order.

I added nutplates under the front and back sunroof brackets and under the back windshield bracket. All other screws used nuts and washers. The new rib has two-sided white foam tape to tame vibration. Steve provides very detailed installation instructions, stressing the possibility of cracking and how to prevent it. The finished product is quite fine and my only concern is the aforementioned cracking.

The shoulder fairings don't fit quite as well as before because of the difference in thickness and contour, but only I will be able to see it, I hope.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the product as supplied by Steve and the finished results.

Thank you Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
ja30driver
Forum Regular

Post by ja30driver »

Will your windshields fit a Super STOL???
I'd love to swap mine out with a tinted shield!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Yes they do and I have only one tinted left, here is the pricing.
Clear windshields: $375
Tinted Windshields: $390
Shipping Box: $30
FedEx: actual cost will be based on the shipping address (approx cost within USA to; east coast- $95, central- $80, west coast- $65, unfortunately this FedEx costs are approximately doubled for Canada shipments :( )

If you are interested in a windshield please email me at stede52@comcast.net with the following information:
-Name
-Shipping Address
-Phone #
Steve D N419LD
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Alan,
I've been meaning to compliment you on your windshield install, by the look of the pictures you did a beautiful job, I'm glad you are happy with it.
Steve D N419LD
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Thanks Steve. Yes, I'm very happy with it. :-)

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

JA Pilots,
Depending on the orders, I may be doing another run of windshields in the near future. Just checking in to see if anyone is looking for one.
Clear windshields: $375
Tinted Windshields: $390 (must have at least three confirmed orders to make any tinted windshields)
Shipping Box: $30
FedEx: actual cost will be based on the shipping address (approx cost within USA to; east coast- $95, central- $80, west coast- $65, unfortunately this FedEx costs are approximately doubled for Canada shipments :( )

If you are interested in a windshield please email me at stede52@comcast.net with the following information to get a firm quote, please do not send me a PM through the wings forum:
-Name
-Shipping Address
-Phone #
Steve D N419LD
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Hi Steve,
Just wanted to give some positive feedback on your windshield. I just installed it last Saturday in my 10 year old Highlander. It took me about 8 hours. Thats not counting the visits from a few people who stopped by my hangar to check out what I was doing. Installation was very straightforward. I did the trimming with a Fein Multi tool with new combo metal/wood blades as you suggested and it worked out very well. The fit to all mating surfaces was excellent. Your mold is right on the money! Anyway jut wanted to thank you for a great product, super happy!
Steve Marlin
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Steve, thanks for the glowing review :D
Steve D N419LD

Return to “Just Aircraft”