Molded Highlander windshields

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Molded Highlander windshields

Post by stede52 »

Well, I guess the 3rd is a charm :D The windshields from the third mold fit perfect on both the rotax and jabiru boot cowls. I install one on Gary Weaver's jabiru cowl and when we pushed the windshield up to the cowl prior to drilling, it fit the curve of the windshield fairing perfectly all the way around. Now I can concentrate on how to pack and box them. I purchcased 48" a box and pan brake from Summit Racing (wish I would have done that two airplanes ago) and it works great for building the sunroof bracket I'm sending with the windshields. The other tool that is invaluble, especially for cutting plexiglass, is a multi-tool with the vibration cutting head. You'll never need to worry about cracking the windshield. I have 7 windshields made up and ready to go as soon a I have the boxes for them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve D N419LD
highlander nz

Post by highlander nz »

Hi Steve,
Any chance of doing the screens in tint? I have the tinted lexan on my machine and like the look with the black but like every one else are finding the lexan no quite as durable as I would like.

John
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Did you get shipping figured out yet?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

John,
We put a tinted windshield in Gary Weavers Highlander and he likes it, is that something pilots would be interested in? I'd like to hear from other pilots.

Danerazz,
Haven't figured out the shipping yet, that's on my to do list for next week.
Steve D N419LD
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

As much as I hate the idea of spending yet another few hundred bucks on this project, I think the windshield is a good addition.

As for tinting, I would probably go for a light tint, but I haven't really thought about it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Steve,
If you had an option for light tint that would be my first choice.

Thanks,
Gary
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Steve: I too, would like a lite tint (smoke), if iI could be had without to much delay. TrilanderTed
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Prior to the down turn in the ecomony, the plastic distributors were able to order small quantities of most any color, not anymore. I was able to find a medium transparent gray for Gary's Highlander and it was a partial sheet and it was the only one they had. There is one tint lighter then Gary's but according to the distributors it almost impossible to find and now even the lighter medium tint are scarce. You can see what that color looks like in the pictures above. The problem I had with the medium tint is that it gets too dark at dusk for me, but during the day it's absolutely no issue. I will have the my distributor look around and see if they can find anything in the light tint, but it was not very incouraging in previous conversations with them.
Steve D N419LD
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

FAA spec for windshields is no less than 70% light transmission. Not sure what tint allows that much, but it is the dusk/night that would be my concern. Maybe I'll just go clear then really dark on top/back.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Based on the following plexiglass chart of colors, only clear would fit that spec. which also considers night flying. I think the color I put in this weekend was a 2064 Gray.
Color_______Solar Energy___Visible Light
Colorless_____85%__________92%
Gray 2064____36%__________27%
Gray 2074____24%__________12%
Bronze 2404__56%__________49%
Bronze 2412__35%__________27%
Bronze 2370__20%__________10%
Steve D N419LD
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Wow, those are darker than I thought. I'll probably plan on clear, then a good set of removable static stick shades and a hat. Then really dark above and behind the cockpit.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Oh, just so we are clear it is FAR 23.775 that deals with tinting, and DOES NOT apply to experimental aircraft. You can tint as dark as you like (gangsta style), but I think it is a good guideline.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

danerazz wrote:Wow, those are darker than I thought. I'll probably plan on clear, then a good set of removable static stick shades and a hat. Then really dark above and behind the cockpit.
Mounted just forward of the aft cabin header, we put in a rolling, retractable window shade which is very handy when the sun is persistantly just wrong, leaving the clear plexiglass for best visibility the rest of the time which is almost always in this NW climate.
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

I too, have a rolling shade under my lite smoke skylight (it'very desirable with triple diget summer temps in S/W Arizona), and since I am lite sport now, I don't fly at night. I can't find .060" smoked Lexan in half sheets now, and a full sheet is almost $500 in L/A Ca. at Sabic polymers---Got any ideas, I would like to replace a skylight and window with the windscreen that will be coming. Trilander Ted
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Ted, that price for lexan is nuts, I bought a full sheet of 1/8" tinted and shipped to me for around $180., here is a site for you:http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Transp ... nate_Sheet
Steve D N419LD

Return to “Just Aircraft”