Molded Highlander windshields

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Molded Highlander windshields

Post by taildrgfun »

I use clear Lexan on the top windows but I have super reflective window tinting applied to the inside before installation. Keeps the heat out and I can still see thru it plenty good enough and I never have to mess with a shade. I did it on both of my Highlanders and I will do it again.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Steve: Thanks for the lexan E-mail address in San Diego. My son can pick it up for me and bring it out next trip. They only have .125" gray (whitch is fine for sklight) but Sabic had only one sheet of .060" left, accounting for the nasty price. My total greenhouse is smoke gray (except windscreen) and needs to match. Ted
love2fly

Post by love2fly »

Steve,

Any chance of doing the windshields in a uv and heat blocking acrylic (e.g. Polycast or similar)?
No idea of what price they charge, but maybe they would cut you, or Just Aircraft, some slack on price in order to have it listed as an optional upgrade? Could be good advertising for both sides and comfort and protection for the pilots and passengers. Something similar to what Aircraft Supply (LP Aero Plastics Inc.) provides for certified aircraft.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I'll check it out and report back.
Steve D N419LD
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

By far the best thing I've done to my Highlander !! if you havent ordered one yet,, get with it. You won't be sorry.
GW :D
Will fly for food!!
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

taildrgfun wrote:I use clear Lexan on the top windows but I have super reflective window tinting applied to the inside before installation. Keeps the heat out and I can still see thru it plenty good enough and I never have to mess with a shade. I did it on both of my Highlanders and I will do it again.
Steve,
What are the specs on that window tint?

Thanks!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

love2fly wrote:Steve,

Any chance of doing the windshields in a uv and heat blocking acrylic (e.g. Polycast or similar)?
No idea of what price they charge, but maybe they would cut you, or Just Aircraft, some slack on price in order to have it listed as an optional upgrade? Could be good advertising for both sides and comfort and protection for the pilots and passengers. Something similar to what Aircraft Supply (LP Aero Plastics Inc.) provides for certified aircraft.
Love2fly,
Just received pricing on the acrylic used in certified aircraft and my price on a 4'x8' is $466 (holy cow!!!), this would more then triple the price of my windshields. It's bad enough what the shipping costs add to the price :cry: and they are the exact costs I pay, not a penny more.
Steve D N419LD
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

What are the shipping costs?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

love2fly wrote:Any chance of doing the windshields in a uv and heat blocking acrylic (e.g. Polycast or similar)?
stede52 wrote:Just received pricing on the acrylic used in certified aircraft and my price on a 4'x8' is $466 (holy cow!!!), this would more then triple the price of my windshields. It's bad enough what the shipping costs add to the price :cry: and they are the exact costs I pay, not a penny more.
As Steve Henry suggested, there are films that can do a similar job. Here's a link to 3M Crystalline Films, which are non-metallic: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... ms/#tabs-2

The CR90 film allows 90% of the light through, blocks 19% of the heat gain, and provides 99.9% UV block. Here's the performance data sheet: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 20Data.pdf

I'll probably fit the panels and take them to a tint shop before I install them.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I don't want to through a wrench into the gearworks but have you consered that not all boot cowles mount in the same place. They are different with each eng. installation. ie. The boot cowl is fitted to the top eng cowl which is fitted to the prop flang or prop spacer, eather of these places would put the boot cowl in a different place fore or aft making the windshield lip at a different angle for each installation. Im not 100 percent sure but I belive the Jabaru and the Rotax cowl are the same part although they come out of two different molds because the trim lines are in different places for each eng so that they can mount in a place sutibale for that eng. It may all be close enough so a good silicone seal makes it ok. I just don't know My boot cowl is three inches forward of a normal boot cowl position due to the eng and mount needed for the VW eng. It made the windshield fitting challanging with the regular lexan. ??? Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

I received my windshield today from Steve. I place it just under the boot cowling and on the top windshield brace. It fit almost perfectly.
I don't see where there will be any problem at all and
I'm very happy I made that dicession to buy it.
Waiting for some foam self stick lining to come from aircraft spruce before I screw it on.
Sure looks good molded form and all, beefier looking too.
I bought clear lexan , same thickness .125 for the roof and windows.

edit. just read Steve's instructions,,, no rivets!!
Last edited by xpflyr on Sat May 26, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Jak,
the windshields will fit any normal rotax or jabiru installation or in my case ULPower. I actually put rotax and jabiru boot cowls on my highlander when I was fitting the windshields and tested them in different positions. You are correct, the boot cowl windshield arc is the same but the angle of the jabiru is slightly flatter the the rotax so it can be install further forward and still fit the windshield. I was also working with the guy who builds the cowlings and actually spent the money for a rotax boot cowl to make sure my windshields would fit.
If you align the boot cowl step (of either the rotax or the jabiru) at the firewall, the windshields will fit either boot cowl with a difference of two inches forward to two inches backward of the firewall and that will fit 99% of jabiru and rotax installs.
Jak, If your boot cowl step is 3 inches forward of the firewall neither of the windshield flange will fit because the flange was not designed to fit a boot cowl flange pushed that far forward. The angle of the windshield gets too flat. There is a way to fix that and that would be to build a new flange on the cowling based on the angle of the windshield which wouldn't be that difficult and then my windshield would fit :D . A 1/16" lexan windshield that long will probably vibrate/flex a lot.
If I could get some exact measurements from you I could tell you one way or another. Give me a call and lets discuss becasue I'm curious myself and for that matter if anyone else has there doubts due to their install, call me. I will not sell you something if I don't think it will fit.
Call me 425.417.7943
Steve D N419LD
love2fly

Post by love2fly »

Love2fly,
Just received pricing on the acrylic used in certified aircraft and my price on a 4'x8' is $466 (holy cow!!!), this would more then triple the price of my windshields. It's bad enough what the shipping costs add to the price and they are the exact costs I pay, not a penny more.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any chance they have some quantity of sheets produced that are rejects for certified aircraft, but that would be ASTM quality or otherwise suitable for the Highlander that they would sell cheap?

The films sound good, but no experience working with them and have seen too many cars on the road with bad "bubbly" tint jobs.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Any chance they have some quantity of sheets produced that are rejects for certified aircraft, but that would be ASTM quality or otherwise suitable for the Highlander that they would sell cheap?
The only way I can buy is new :(
Steve D N419LD
love2fly

Post by love2fly »

Thanks for checking into it Steve.

I hope some film users add their feedback here.

Steve - Would you consider adding film prior to shipping?

Return to “Just Aircraft”