AIRSTREAKS. . . . Are They Worth It?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Re: AIRSTREAKS. . . . Are They Worth It?

Post by bluemax »

I spoke with Andy at Matco Mfg. yesterday, regarding getting the correct 6" wheels to fit my Airstreaks. He said for me to switch from the 8" (that I have now) to the 6", it only involves buying the 6" wheel halves. Since the Airstreaks don't use a air valve from the wheel, then I would want to purchase four "back" halves, as they do not have an air valve. All the other parts and pieces that are on my 8" wheels will transfer right over to the 6" wheels.

I told Andy that I wasn't interested in "trading" wheels, as I am on kind of a wait-and-see thing with these Airstreaks. I am going to do my best to keep them off of pavement, so they last a long time. But if ultimately they wear out too soon. . . less than 5 years. . .then I will probably revert back to the 8" wheels and the Matco 21x12x8 mini-bush tire. Hopefully, that won't be an issue. Keep in mind I haven't started construction on my Highlander just yet.

Each wheel half is only $39, so this is a fairly cheap mod. Well, at least for the wheels. He also warned me about the conversion kit, where the 2nd caliper is added. The brake plates that come with the conversion kit are only drilled for attachment of the caliper, and not for mounting to the axle. He said to make sure the brake plate is perfectly centered on the axle before I drill the holes for the axle mounting. The brake plate that came with the 8" wheel/brake assembly is already drilled for axle attachment, but will only accept one caliper, so that won't work. I put that brake plate onto the axle, and it only lines up with 2 of the 4 mounting holes. So do you guys only use 2 holes to attach the brake plate?
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

I put that brake plate onto the axle, and it only lines up with 2 of the 4 mounting holes. So do you guys only use 2 holes to attach the brake plate?
Whoops.... I checked again, and all 4 holes line up. Not that it matters...since I'll have to drill my own for the dual calipers.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
Winston
Forum Regular

Post by Winston »

So far no one has mentioned the most important reason for getting these big tires: they make a great seat while you are telling your tall flying tales.

Winston
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Winston wrote:So far no one has mentioned the most important reason for getting these big tires: they make a great seat while you are telling your tall flying tales.
" . . . so there I was, engine out, rapidly runnin' out of altitude, airspeed and ideas. Then I realized that, between the big phat tires and the bungee cords, I might be able to bounce over that last ridge and glide down into the valley . . . "
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

We only put two bolts in the brake assy. single or twin. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I put all 4 of them in. And then I take out the 1/4" bolts that hold the disc to the hub, drill and retap the holes for 5/16 bolts. I had the 1/4" ones shear off once, fortunately I wasn't landing one of my little narrow ridges at the time. :shock:
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Hottshot

Post by Hottshot »

The main thing to keep an eye on in longevity of the tires is Looooonng Taxi, if your gear has too much toe in or out and will wear the tires quickly. So check toe and rotate the tires (on the wheel) every annual or 100 hrs which ever comes first.
Wup Winn
Alaskan Bushwheel Inc
1-800-442-8473
www.akbushwheel.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”