AIRSTREAKS. . . . Are They Worth It?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

AIRSTREAKS. . . . Are They Worth It?

Post by bluemax »

I'm getting closer to beginning construction on my Highlander kit. I keep watching videos of the Highlanders with the 29" Airstreaks. . . and then I look at my 21x12 Matco tires sitting in the corner of my shop. There is no question about it. . . I like the Airstreaks better. . . purely for asthetics.

When I ordered my plane, I just couldn't swallow the $2900.00 price tag for the Big Boys. My smaller versions are only $68 apeice. I have a buddy with the identical tires on his Kitfox, and he loves them. But alas. . . the Airstreaks definitely give a distinctive look. It's too bad Matco doesn't supply a cheap clone of the Airstreaks.

Is anyone else wrestling with this dilemma? Is the extra $$$ really worth it? If you haven't figured it out, I'm looking for someone to shame me into opening my wallet . . . :D
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: AIRSTREAKS. . . . Are They Worth It?

Post by danerazz »

I'm having the same internal debate, but money will dictate I hold off and just use the 700x6 tires that are stock (I have the stock 6" wheels and single caliper brakes for now).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I use my airstreaks for the backcountry and Idaho flying but especially for gravel bars, HOWEVER, that being said, that kind of flying is about 15-20% of my total flying. Therefore having airstreaks is actually 75-80% asthetics/cool factor 8) . In reality most of the Idaho backcountry strips can be flown with 21" tires with no problem.......but they just aren't as COOL!! The downside of the big tires is the pavement landings and the thought of wearing $'s of rubber off them on every taxi, take-off and landing :cry: :cry: . Steve Henry is probably the best example of a pilot who really needs the airstreaks and gets his money worth out of them because of where and how he flys.
Bottomline for me.......mostly asthetics, but if you can spend the money.......THEY ARE AWESOME!!! :D :D :D
Steve D N419LD
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

When Scottie uploads the video of his first flight -- of the Corvair-powered Highlander -- check out the way his looks.

Scottie has 24" ATV tires on 10" wheels. He's also added the third leg to standard gear, more for appearance than anything else, though it does nominally spread some of the load further back in the airframe. I think the net appearance is pretty good, and liked it so much I added the third leg to my gear, too.

You'll see that his tires have off-road treads, but the treads are optional, and if they don't work for him, he'll have them machined smooth.

Here's an older image back in the factory so you can get a rough idea.
IMG_20110811_163231s.jpg
I'm building with the same 21 x 12-8 Matco tires you have, and I've wished for the larger tires, too. I don't expect to need them, but I sure love the way they look.

On a trip to Michigan, I happened to remember the grain wagon tires we used to abuse so badly on the farm, and thought they even looked like aircraft tires. I checked them out. They're Carlisle #518711, and they're 26 x 12-12. I located them at a division of Summit Racing for under $100 apiece: http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/crr-518711. On a farm wagon, four of these will haul a full wagon load of grain, and make pretty harsh corners, without coming off the rims (which are 12 x 10.5").
Tire - Carlisle 518711.jpg
The Carlisles carry about the same added weight penalty as the Airstreaks, but they sure cut the cost. I don't know how flexible the sidewalls are. I was tempted to look for rims and see about trying them out, but decided I can play with that idea after I get the plane flying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Usually I don't have much experience to pass along, but on this I have some to contribute.

I flew the first ~200 hours on Nanco N800 (aka Kingfox) tires. They were GREAT - light, cheap, big & reasonably soft. I had no troubles with them....until I started landing in rough spots & holding the tail up. When aired down to land in rough spots they spun on the rim & sheared off the valve stems :shock: - parked the plane hearing hissssss and in 5 min they were flat. I've heard of others using screws into the bead to keep the tire from spinning on the rim. I'm sure there are ways to make it work but at that point too much monkey rigging for me. I don't want to end up hearing that hissing sound in the boonies, so I guess I've decided they are worth it for me
Phat_tires.jpg
fwiw

k
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Hey Kevin-

When I was ordering my kit, Troy talked me out of the 26" Goodyear blimp tires, as he said that they also spin on the rims, and need to be screwed on to prevent it. I didn't know that was also a possibility for the 21" Matco tires.

What wheel and brakes are used for the 29" Airstreaks? Are the dual caliper Matco brakes I got with my kit usable? I know the 8" Matco wheels won't work, but how wide a 6" wheel is used? It's not the stock 6" wheel, is it?

I also wonder how long I could expect the Airstreaks to last, assuming I try and stay off pavement?
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

My understanding is the standard 6"matco wheels are used tubeless, and I spoke to the matco guys at Oshkosh last year and they said that due to the geometry of the brake pedals in the highlander, you cannot get adequate brake pressure to hold the brakes with the airstreaks. The dual caliper brakes double the area so they work with the big tires.

So to summarize, should be the standard 6" wheels and the dual caliper brakes.

Lots of people have them (I don't, yet...) so someone should be able to confirm this.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I have no problem holding my plane and braking with the 6" and dual calipers . The key to getting better braking is to use the 1/8" brake lines rather then the 1/4". I think the numbers show that you almost double the pressure when using the smaller lines because there is less area for the fluid to expand and therefore creating more pressure at the pads.
Steve D N419LD
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Yep, stock wheels and dual caliper brakes. I also have Matco put intesifiers in my master cylinders. I trade in the ones with built in messy reservoirs and get plain ones. I get their remote reservoir kit because it is so much cleaner and easier to not make a mess, especially while bleeding the brakes.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
helmetfire
Forum Regular

Post by helmetfire »

taildrgfun wrote: I also have Matco put intesifiers in my master cylinders.
We're these the standard MC-4 master cyls??

I'll have the std gear with 26"Airstreaks to start off, just because i have the tires already. Do you think the single caliper setup with the intensifiers and 1/8 inch lines would be sufficient??
Aaron
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Same cyls as is on the right side.
"Enough" braking power is different to different pilots. The intensifiers and small lines may be just fine for you. If not you can always easily update to the dual caliper.
Another thing I really like on my plane is Matco's park brake.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

taildrgfun wrote:Yep, stock wheels and dual caliper brakes. I also have Matco put intensifiers in my master cylinders. I trade in the ones with built in messy reservoirs and get plain ones. I get their remote reservoir kit because it is so much cleaner and easier to not make a mess, especially while bleeding the brakes.
taildrgfun wrote:Same cyls as is on the right side.
"Enough" braking power is different to different pilots. The intensifiers and small lines may be just fine for you. If not you can always easily update to the dual caliper.
Another thing I really like on my plane is Matco's park brake.
Steve, what size brake lines did you install?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
helmetfire
Forum Regular

Post by helmetfire »

taildrgfun wrote: Another thing I really like on my plane is Matco's park brake.
Agreed, already have that in the pile of parts...any chance you could show a pic of how you mounted the parking brake?? I have a cable for a panel mount, but still not quite to that point in the build yet.

Thanks, and sorry to the OP for the minor thread drift, but I think this stuff is relevant to the OQ (original question) :wink:
Aaron
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I like the 1/8th" lines. Supposed to be a little more solid feel to the brakes, and when you bleed them the bubbles will push out ahead of the fluid even the lines slope down.
My park brake is on that triangular piece between and in front of the sticks. Very simple, no cable but it is a little hard to reach when I'm buckled up.
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

Fuel and Brake Panel 005.JPG
Fuel and Brake Pane 003.JPG
Very simple, no cable but it is a little hard to reach when I'm buckled up.

Steve

I had the same problem reaching the parking brake control with my shoulder harness on so I moved it and the fuel valve. On this setup the main thing to watch for is keeping the parking brake valve where the flap handle goes between the fittings on the valve. It requires some colorful conversation with it when you're putting it in but it will fit. As you can see I had to have an extension handle on my old setup.

Gil T

Return to “Just Aircraft”