Watertight Hinge Cavities

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Watertight Hinge Cavities

Postby jjacky » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi All I'm finishing up the flaps and ailerons and I'm concerned about water washing off the wing and filling up the ailerons and flaps as I cruise through a gully washer (unintentionally but it will happen). The immediate remedy is some 1/16 trailing edge weep holes but I wonder if you had any ideas on sealing up the hinge and bell crank cavities?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
Veteran Member

Re: Watertight Hinge Cavities

Postby scubarider2 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:34 pm

I learned my lesson when I had the plane parked outside and down came the rain. Filled up both sides. So got home and drilled the weep holes. No more problems. :mrgreen:
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Topic Moderator

Postby Johnny C! » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Do we need weep holes drilled trailing
edges of the wings, flaps & airlerons?
Every bay?

There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Postby Wes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I "Just" couldn't bear to think of my flaps and aileron L.E.s open to the rain, snow, sleet, bird guts, etc., so I went thru a lot of anxiety to figure out how to seal them up (especially after reading Dennis' story of flaps/ailerons full of rain).
I came up with an epoxy/glass layup piece that I trimed to fit each hinge well. Here's the mold and a ruff cut layup:
Mold for Hinge Closeouts.jpg
Epoxy Layup mold and molded hinge well closeout.

Next I had to figure out how to close that awful hole where the flap return spring penetrates the leading edge. I ended up with a horn added in place of the return spring bracket on top of the flap spar. Here is the added horn and it's composite fabric plate ready for covering: You can see the trimmed epoxy/glass closeout piece on the bottom.
Flap Return Horn_Fabric Plate.jpg
Flap return Horn

I did this before the guys came up with the nifty return-cable-pulley idea, so my cabble runs from the horn thru the top of the wing to the return spring. This is what it looks like before final assembly:
Flap Return Cable_Spring.jpg

It is now all covered and ready to fly, but I'll have to open up a couple of my inspection holes if I need to adjust or change the return spring.

This is the only pic I have of the almost finished installation (shaky cameraman):
Flap return.jpg
Flap return.jpg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 1767 times

Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Premium Member

Return to Just Aircraft