Fabric patches on horizontal stabs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Fabric patches on horizontal stabs

Post by gkremers »

All,
I finished covering the wings and have moved on to the empennage. How did you handle the area were the flying wires attach to the horizontal stabs. Burn a hole with a soldering iron and then add a patch, burn through again? The fabric is sitting proud by the bushings were the bolts go through, after I burn through I think the fabric will lay flat?

Any help would be great

Thanks,
Gary
DSC_0042.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Re: Fabric patches on horizontal stabs

Post by xpflyr »

gkremers wrote:All,
I finished covering the wings and have moved on to the empennage. How did you handle the area were the flying wires attach to the horizontal stabs. Burn a hole with a soldering iron and then add a patch, burn through again? The fabric is sitting proud by the bushings were the bolts go through, after I burn through I think the fabric will lay flat?

Any help would be great

Thanks,
Gary
DSC_0042.JPG
Gary, I just burned the hole. No patch.
Don
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Fabric patches on horizontal stabs

Post by gkremers »

Thanks Don... I spoke with Jak and he said the same thing. After applying finish tape just burn a hole. We also discussed what temp to shrink the elevators and rudder fabric. Sounds like most go to 300 very carefully and still end up with some warping. He said go higher just in the areas needed like by the edges just to get the puckers out.

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”