Pitot tubing routing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Pitot tubing routing

Post by jjacky »

Hi All
I've reached the point where I need to install the pitot tubing and a couple of tubes for the Lift Reserve probe plus electrical cables. The manual calls for boring a hole in the wing spar. I am probably over thinking this but I'm uncomfortable boring hole in the main spar. I was thinking of running a piece of aluminum conduit under the spare and attaching it to the rib just outboard of the fuel tank (with appropriate fabric glue plates on both sides). OK...a wing wart in process. Thoughts?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Pitot tubing routing

Post by stede52 »

I also have the pitot and AOA tube and I broght both of them to the wingtip and down the trailing edge wing tuben to the fuselage. That way if you ever have a problem the tubing is easy to replace. There, also, is no issue folding the wings.
Steve D N419LD
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Perfect! Thanks Steve.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I ran mine through ribs and then through a gap behind the fuel tank. No hole in the spar.

If you are using a Rotax 912, you could install the pitot tube RV12-style. It goes through the spinner and skips all the wing routing. Run a rigid tube through a bushing in the spinner, through the hole in the center of the gearbox and clamp at the back. There are threaded holes on the back of the gearbox that you can use to fix a clamping block. then attach your flex tubing to the back of the pitot tube and make a short run to the back of the instrument panel. It's simple and has the added advantage being in undisturbed air. (unless you're going backwards)

Obviously this won't work for the LRI tubing.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

I saw on Steve Henry's site where he mounted his ADAHRS in the wing, making an nice short connection to the pitot. Looks like a good idea to me. Not sure what he did for static--I would guess he just left that port open to the wing compartment.
Super Stol Kit #299

Return to “Just Aircraft”