Tundra Lite Tailwheel by Jim Pekola

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Re: Tundra Lite Tailwheel by Jim Pekola

Post by bluemax »

I'm really glad to hear that, as I bought one of the early ones before the lockable option was available. Now I don't have to send mine back to the Jim for modification.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Having a lockable tailwheel while learning to fly (especially a Highlander :shock: ) is only the first benefit and chances are that you won't get in too much trouble anyway because you'll have an instructor next to you. John solo'd faster then 95% of the new Highlander owners I've heard of and he contributed that to the lockable tailwheel. The other major benefit will be after you've solo'd and you get caught in some bad unexpected crosswinds :shock: and there is no one in the cockpit to help you keep the airplane straight except that tailwheel :D . This will be the situation where the lockable tailwheel will benefit the pilot most, I know because I've been in those crosswinds where I wish I had that option.
Steve D N419LD
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Hi Everyone, after I read my post I think it read a bit strange in that I was not endorsing Jim's tailwheel. NOTHING COULD BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH. I love the tailwheel and highly recommend it to all of the builders down here in New Zealand. The "fit and finish" is excellent and I was not trying to "bad rap" the lockable tail wheel option. As Steve has pointed out the lockable tailwheel would be a benefit in a heavy cross wind. My regret was using the manual trim lever for the lockable tail wheel. You need a greater authority (travel) in the different flight configurations (cruise and landing) than an electric trim can give you. I just wanted to set the record straight if builders thought that I did not highly recommend Jim's tail wheel. It's the way to go. Cheers, John

Return to “Just Aircraft”