Tundra Lite Tailwheel by Jim Pekola

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Tundra Lite Tailwheel by Jim Pekola

Post by stede52 »

Syd,
You are correct about one more thing to do, however, when you think about it this task is not being done during a high activity time, it could easily be done as part of your take-off check list as the airplane is stationary and straight and after the landing roll out at which time you are almost stopped. Just a thought :) . Even if you didn't go with the locking tailwheel, I would still buy it over the matco.
Steve D N419LD
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

I have requested the Tundra Lite for my SuperStol (hopefully to ship June 1 !) Steve, I was wondering how you go about setting the tension, and how frequently it needs to be readjusted.
Super Stol Kit #299
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

kenryan wrote:I have requested the Tundra Lite for my SuperStol (hopefully to ship June 1 !) Steve, I was wondering how you go about setting the tension, and how frequently it needs to be readjusted.
Jim sets the tension and so far I like where its set. I have tried other stiffer setting but needed more brake to turn. Try Jim's setting first and fly it for a while and then try making small adjustments. Flying it or taxing it for a while will give you a baseline feel to compare with other settings. I think you'll probably like the initial setting.
Steve D N419LD
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks for that gents..
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Locking Tailwheel

I've never flown a Highlander so I don't know how it handles on the ground. I do fly C-185's and they can be a handful if you don't keep it going straight down the runway. A locking tailwheel is pretty nice to have in a gusty crosswind. It also eliminates tailwheel shimmy.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I'm hoping we can get a first hand report from John Levy on his tailwheel training with Jim Pekola's lockable tailwheel. I was talking with Troy yesterday and John's CFI was so impressed with it, as a training tool for new tailwheel pilots, that he thought they should be supplied on every Highlander going out of the factory :D
Steve D N419LD
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Steve:

Do you know of anyone (and/or Jim), who has come up with a real good cable/handle/mechanism for the locking portion of the Perkola tailwheel? I've come up with several ideas and locations to mount such a control handle, but haven't considered anything a winner yet.

Also, wondering if anyone has integrated a spring "return" of sorts, such that when a handle in placed in the "engage" or locked position, the locking pin slips into place once the airplane and tailwheel are aligned..............as in a final turn onto the runway from a taxiway.

At this point, just looking for ideas. Got any?

Thanks.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Mark,
It's not a new idea but I'm using the trim handle location as my trim is electric. I've already run the cable and modified the inspection plate on the lower aft section of the fuselage.

Gary
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Mark,
check out page 3 of this subject, we talk about the handle options and why the spring is no longer needed.
Steve D N419LD
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Thanks Steve. I did see that info a few months ago and probably should have just gone with that. Was looking for some more up-to-date concepts, potential changes, problems, etc. Would be nice if Jak would post a picture of what they are doing at the factory with the locking mechanism, especially with the control end portion........in the cockpit.

Regardless....should be able to figure it out from the previous discussions. Thanks again.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Mark,
I talked to Jim Pekola today and he's giving the question some thought. I know John Levy, with the Camo Highlander has Pekola's lockable tail wheel, maybe when his airplane lands in New Zealand in 4- 6wks he can get us some pics of his install.
Steve D N419LD
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Mac we've only put in one lockable and we did the same thing Gary did as it had elec. trim. Haven't come up with anything else yet. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Think there's any way to make the tailwheel locking lever from some kind of bicycle brake lever attached to the flap handle? I just did a quick google search for locking bicycle brake lever and came up with dozens of products. There are even light weight versions made for mountain bikes.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I just figured out how to post a video (I think) and am reviving this post to show you the Tundra Lite TW in action. Mine is the non-locking version.

http://vimeo.com/90432812

It's nice and smooth. Next time out I'm going to start practicing landing and coming to a stop without using the brakes. It's a skill I want to develop with a non-steerable TW. Shouldn't be a problem, if the tension is correct on the pivot it tracks perfectly.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Howdy Everyone, Yep I highly recommend Jim's tail wheel but I don't think I would go for the lockable tail wheel again. My decision in getting that option was has a newbie tailwheel pilot, and for the first couple of hours I did use it. However I soloed the airplane in just a few hours, and I have not used it since. I used the manual elevator lever to lock the tail wheel as I installed a electric trim. However I would leave the manual trim as it gives greater authority. Just MHO

Return to “Just Aircraft”