Wire swivel

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Wire swivel

Post by danerazz »

1. It does appear that works, and those tabs are indeed there.

2. You WILL NOT be able to get equal throw up/down. The manual specifies 5 degrees tab up, 25-30 tab down. If you ask the factory about it they will say ANY tab up is acceptable.

Can't speculate on 3, I don't know where that is measured. Whatever they say is good probably works.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

I will throw in my two cents on the Allen servo's. Yes they are a wee bit expensive but worth it in the ease of installation, and the indicator system. They also sell a stick grip with switches which I highly recommend as well. I have used them in several of the airplanes I have built and the quality is excellent and if there is ever a problem Gary and Scott will quickly address it. Like I said my two cents. Cheers John
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

That servo looks like it adds a lot of weight to the elevator. How does that affect balance and flutter issues for the elevator? Don't most elevators have lead weight added forward to keep the balance of weight forward in order to avoid flutter?
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

R Rinker wrote:That servo looks like it adds a lot of weight to the elevator. How does that affect balance and flutter issues for the elevator? Don't most elevators have lead weight added forward to keep the balance of weight forward in order to avoid flutter?
I've never had any indication of fluttering with my two highlander and they both had elevator trim servos. I've also balanced my elevators by welding weight in the forward tabs of the elevators in my first highlander and it did was to add lots of weight to the tail. DEFINITELY NOT REQUIRED :shock: There has been only one situation were I've heard of flutter in the tail group and that was due to a faulty elevator trim install, there has never been an incident where anyone has reported flutter in in just their elevators. If anyone know different please correct me:)
Steve D N419LD
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

I can not imagine flutter in a airplane as flying as slow as a Highlander. I would go with Steve for sure. The weight of the Allen servos is nothing. Something like a pack of cigarettes if that.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

It may not be an issue here, but there are certainly conditions in which flutter could happen at much less than 100 mph. I like the simplicity of the servo idea.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada

Return to “Just Aircraft”