Kydex is Great

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Kydex is Great

Post by User GDS »

I didn't use Kydex for my entire interior but found a lot of uses for it. The material I'm using is too thin and floppy to use as an interior wall, I think it's 0.028"

Sealed the top of the door frame to the butt rib. There is a 1/2", 90 degree bend on the inside and it is riveted to the door frame. (I like to see rivets in some places)

Kick panels are stuck on lightly with silicone adhesive. The horizontal control tunnel cover goes under the flooring about 1/2" and attaches to the upper tubing with velcro. The pieces under the seats are attached to the bottom of the square tubing with velcro. (My battery and contactor are under the right seat, didn't want a passenger to reach down there)

My glare shield is Kydex also. I'm covering it with some fabric and it's not quite ready.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
Chief
Seasoned Member

Re: Kydex is Great

Post by Chief »

Read your post about using Kydex as a cabin floor cover and for side kick plates. I am interested in doing this and molding two strips beneath both doors. My plane is experimental so do I need to use the 6565 Kydex or can I go with lesser material? I've had a hard time finding a distributor who sells the material in sheets larger than 12". Any suggestions?
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I bought 4' x 8' sheets of black .040 Kydex from Harva Co., in Schoharie, NY. The price was excellent, shipping was fast, and the material arrived in perfect shape. I was impressed enough that I'll go to them first for anything plastic I need.

The Harva website is http://www.harva.com. Phone is 518-295-8101.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Was the .040 the right thickness for flat surfaces like over the decking ahead of the seats, or would you consider slightly stiffer material in the future? Under the doors I hope to form two 90 degree turns in a sheet - did you do any heat forming. If so, could you tell me how you did that? Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your recommendation.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I bought my Kydex from Interstate Plastics, http://www.interstateplastics.com/. They were excellent and they produce it in all sorts of colors, including camo. I bought 0.028" thick sheets and they came in 2' by 4' sheets.

The 0.028" thickness is definitely not rigid enough to use for flooring. I used it only for covering and protecting things.

I haven't spent much time heat forming the material, but my efforts with a heat gun and forming it over a shape have been less than satisfactory. It ends up kind of lumpy. You will need some forms or molds if you want it to turn out perfectly.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

The small amount of testing I've done indicates that .040" (1mm) should be a good thickness for cabin applications, but it isn't strong enough for flooring. It cuts easily, and is surprisingly tough. It bends just fine in my sheet metal brake; I'm thinking the next time I bend it, I may try heating it before bending.

I plan to try heat forming shapes in it, but that means I'll have to build a vacuum former, and I haven't gotten to that, yet. One of the most important tips I found was to heat the material slowly; as the exterior temperature of the material rises, it shouldn't more than 10F warmer than the interior of the material. Slow heating and natural cooling help avoid stress cracking.

There's a wealth of information at http://www.kydex.com. Check out the Technical Briefs section (http://www.kydex.com/technical-data/tec ... riefs.aspx), particularly the section on Forming.

I've read that Kydex can be bonded with plain old PVC pipe adhesive. That's not for structural bonds, but it's supposed to work well for cosmetic applications. For structural bonds, there's a listing in the Technical Briefs under Adhesive Guide. I don't expect to need structural bonds, but, if I do, I'll likely use Weld-on 4052 because it's available from McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com).
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

I just received my 4x8 sheet of .040 now my next problem is to hold it in place. Will Velcro tape hold it and there are several types of glue on the tape. Does any know what will work.
Wayne
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I used stick-on velcro for most interior applications. The adhesive doesn't stick as good as it does on aluminum, so if it starts coming loose I reinforce the bond with 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive. The kick panels take some abuse so I bonded them in place with 3M super 77 and reinforced the bond with that white silicone adhesive that comes with the kit..
Last edited by User GDS on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Following up on my post above, I used Kydex for my glare shield but after a few months it sagged and became unsightly. Replaced it with aluminum sheet.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

Thanks for the reply that was the information I needed
Wayne

Return to “Just Aircraft”