Finger Strainers

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Finger Strainers

Post by danerazz »

Just because I have never put an NPT fitting in fiberglass before, is anyone epoxying or using any kind of sealant for the finger strainer bushings that are threaded directly into the fuel tanks? Or do they seal-up fine by themselves?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Re: Finger Strainers

Post by FlyerChief »

I have heard that this is the best thing to use, but I am open to suggestions too...

Loctite 567 PST Thread Sealant with PTFE
Loctite® 567™ PST® Thread Sealant with PTFE is a general purpose instant sealer for tapered and straight/tapered fittings. Controlled strength for easy disassembly. It has excellent solvent resistance, allows easy assembly, prevents galling and can withstand temperatures up to 400° F (204° C). Excellent for high pressure applications: locks and seals tapered metal, pipe threads and fittings. Ideal for stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized metal and other inert metals. Disassembles with hand tools. CSA 3319-81 and 3319-01. UL MH007(N). NSF/ANSI 61 Certified. ULC-Canada Approved. CFIA Approved.

-Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

I used EZ Turn Lubricant when I put mine plane together seven years ago and when I removed to smaller tanks the filters were easy to remove and still no leaks.

Aircraft Spruce has this stuff.

Gil T
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

I ended up epoxying the bushing into the tank. I wanted to be able to remove the finger strainer without disturbing the tapped fiberglass hole.
DSC05328small.jpg
The teflon tape got swapped out for Loctite thread sealer.

The additional bushing on the bottom of the tank (at the top of the photo) is for a Safe-Air wing tank quick drain.

So far, the tanks drains are leak tight, however I am re-thinking the quick drain.
When they leak due to trash in the o-ring, they drip right on the lexan door and make nasty stain!

Oh well, some of the best made plans------
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Wes,

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the wing drains, but decided against it after reading some Tone Bingelis stuff and just doing some serious thinking about my fuel system. I really liked your installation, and now that you mention the stains, etc., I am pretty sure I have made my final decision. I am running a 3 gallon head with a considerable sump area, so only large quantities of water could pose a problem, and they should be readily detected.

I like your epoxy-in bushings, and I think I will follow that plan.

Tite-seal is my npt lube of choice (used to use it at a couple of shops and liked how it works).

Thanks again
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Wes wrote:I ended up epoxying the bushing into the tank. I wanted to be able to remove the finger strainer without disturbing the tapped fiberglass hole.
DSC05328small.jpg
The teflon tape got swapped out for Loctite thread sealer.

The additional bushing on the bottom of the tank (at the top of the photo) is for a Safe-Air wing tank quick drain.

So far, the tanks drains are leak tight, however I am re-thinking the quick drain.
When they leak due to trash in the o-ring, they drip right on the lexan door and make nasty stain!

Oh well, some of the best made plans------

The epoxied bushings are an
excellant idea. I will keep
that in mind if/when I need
to remove my strainers.

Later!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Anyone have a bad experience with Form a gasket #3 with gasoline with ethanol? Just researching what others are using. Heard of 567 Loc tite, 515 Loc Tite, Fuel Lube, EZ Turn, Chemseal and Pro Seal
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Anyone using the bushing experienced any problems with the hose clearance on the butt rib when folding/unfolding the wings?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

It was tight, I had to relieve the rib to get everything to fit, but I don’t believe it was because of the bushing. The centerline of the fitting is still the same, it is just about 1/4”-5/16” further inboard. I think it would have been similar without the bonded bushing.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”