Oratex

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Syd

Re: Oratex

Post by Syd »

Yeah appreciate the wastage issue, but 20-40% should be tops and again if we are at 40 sq m required we should be under 50sq m needed to purchase and at 1.8m wide we would need 28 linear meters @ 100 Euro (US$1.31) = US$3668..

Now I could live with that, but from what I have seen $4000 is the lowest figure that I have seen. One guy on the super club forum said $7000 and he had done the wings in Stewarts..

What am I missing... I still get 40-42 sq m estimated for a Superstol, but people are still talking 7-$9000 in cost?

If I could get this done under US$5000 it could be worth it... but if its out to 7-$9000 its probably not..for me at least..
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

If covering a plane again, I'd definitely try it just to get out of the chore of painting.
Rick Moss

Post by Rick Moss »

I was told that the 0.9m wide roll was not sufficiently wide to cover one surface of the wing, so the 1.8m roll would be required. Approx 4m per wing surface have 16m x 1.8m, with flaps and ailerons out of the wastage. In reality we were able to get top and bottom surface from 1.8x4m (just) so used only 8m on the main surface of the wings plus another 2m x 1.8m to do the flaps and ailerons, leaving 6x1.8m unused.

I don't know how US prices differ, but I think I could have done my wings for £1000 (~$1600).

The biggest plus aside from the lack of paint for me is that if I ever need to get inside the wings, I can simply cut out a panel and replace it invisibly in a matter of minutes.
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

Do any of you folks know if the wing ribs need to be stitched when using Oratex? On a side note, a friend recently had his SuperSTOL painted at a cost of $8,000 and it took several months. I definitely want to consider that when selecting a covering.
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Augustus wrote:Do any of you folks know if the wing ribs need to be stitched when using Oratex? On a side note, a friend recently had his SuperSTOL painted at a cost of $8,000 and it took several months. I definitely want to consider that when selecting a covering.
The instructions from Oratex are to follow the kit manufacturer's recommendation for rib stitching.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Augustus wrote: On a side note, a friend recently had his SuperSTOL painted at a cost of $8,000 and it took several months. I definitely want to consider that when selecting a covering.

$8000 for a GOOD paint job is not outside of normal, but the "several months" part is not right. My father had his plane (Onex) painted professionally and the shop that did it did a VERY nice job, and it was only there for a week. That was prep, primer, color (3 colors, so 3 separate sessions of masking and painting), AND extensive prep on all of the fiberglass.

If the shop really wants your business, it will get the plane in, do the work, and get the plane out so it can move the next project in. There is a guy that most people seem to go to for paint on their planes near my father, and he does really nice work, but it is a hobby for him, not a business. HIS paint jobs take months.

I am going to delve into trying to paint myself. I have limited aircraft painting experience, but it is something I want to do. For all of the "right" gear and paint, etc., I am budgeting about $3500. It will probably cost more, just like everything else. I'm sure I MAY be able to get a better paint job by paying someone, but there is nowhere within any kind of distance I want to trailer the airplane to paint it. Plus, it is one more thing I get to say "I did that" when it is all done (that can work against you too).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Paint, $150.00 compressor and incidentals will do a fine job.
Suspend tail feathers horizontal to avoid runners.
Stewart's does NOT gloss until usually the last coat so until then just coat evenly and walk away or it will get too thick!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Dave,

Did you paint with Stewart's? I am planning that and they recommend a 13+CFM compressor. I have read elsewhere that smaller ones will work fine, you just can't paint "continuously" with them. I have a 30 gallon (I think, need to look at it) craftsman compressor and would prefer not to go buy a $800-1000 220V compressor for ONE paint job. What did you use?

Thanks
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

danerazz wrote:Dave,

Did you paint with Stewart's? I am planning that and they recommend a 13+CFM compressor. I have read elsewhere that smaller ones will work fine, you just can't paint "continuously" with them. I have a 30 gallon (I think, need to look at it) craftsman compressor and would prefer not to go buy a $800-1000 220V compressor for ONE paint job. What did you use?

Thanks
We just used a cheap one from Harbor Freight and a cheap compressor from Lowes Aerospace....
The reservoir holds just the right amount of Stewarts for a wing surface. We then refilled and did a different surface. Two guys sometimes, other times just one doing everything.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

When you say "cheap compressor," how big of a tank are you using? Is it one of the 26-ish gallon tanks or something bigger?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

danerazz wrote:When you say "cheap compressor," how big of a tank are you using? Is it one of the 26-ish gallon tanks or something bigger?
Danerazz,

I'll see if there's a spec stamped on it, or I'll measure it for you when I get back in town -the box was gone many years ago. It's a horizontal tank on wheels but small. It seems much less than half the size of a 50 gal drum.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

I measured our compressor tank at 26" long x 11" diameter. We get compliments on the paint job if I actually wash it....
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

That sounds about like my compressor. I was thinking of getting a bigger one to paint, but really don't want to if I don't need it. I'm glad somebody has had good experience without $1000's in equipment. Looks like I will just go with what I got.

Thanks Dave!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

One of the most important things is having DRY air. Stewarts can tell you how to see if you have enough air before you risk screwing up your paint job.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

I have a Citation three stage turbine HVL P system that I paint with. With a true HVL P system you don't have to worry about taking moisture out of the air, because the turbine does that for you. The air gets heated by the turbine action. I have used it to paint two airplanes with PPG polyurethane. But with all of the advantages of a true HVL P system, I still like a conventional air compressor which uses less CFM but higher PSI, because it atomizes the paint better. Yes there is more overspray, but it really lays the paint on the well.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio

Return to “Just Aircraft”