Trailering hints

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Trailering hints

Post by preacoupe »

Hi everyone,

I'm ready at any time now to trailer her to the airport. Since I'm not a usual trailering person (had showcar on trailer 3 times, damaged twice) I am receptive to any hints for securing to the trailer.

It is a tricycle gear. Have the wings secured with transport jury struts. One idea I have heard is, so as not to worry about the tail bobbing up and down, is to strap the tailskid to the deck. Seems that that would secure it just fine.

The usual car-hauler most often has 2 ramps but not a solid ramp that'd make the nosewheel easier. An electric winch would be nice, but a come-a-long might suffice.

I saw a pic on the forum with a plane secured at every conceivable attach point, including the prop. Would think that might not be the best idea.

Any other must-do's? Already experienced "garage rash" last night. Chingered up a wingtip a little. Not bad, but some painting required. Oh, the joy! Don't want to have any more little surprises.

Thanks

Dennis
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Re: Trailering hints

Post by Wmilbauer »

It sounds that you should not mess with a trailer just pay for a rollback and get it to the airport without damage
Wayne
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Trailering hints

Post by SheepdogRD »

I'll take a shot at advice from lots of trailer hauling . . .

If you have a friend or friends with trailering experience -- especially aircraft trailering experience -- get their help.

Whether you take Wayne's advice and get a towing company to move your plane, or you do it yourself, get a driver who's experienced and will treat your cargo as precious stuff, both in loading/unloading and in travel.

Whether you use a trailer or a rollback truck, travel struts at the front and back of the wing help keep the wing pivot points safe.

Use gust locks.

Make sure everything in the airplane is tied down as if you're going to fly. Make sure all other loads on the trailer or truck are tied down so they don't damage the plane. Pad everything.

Move slowly and carefully as you load, and tie everything down so it's safe from movement in all three axes. Your fuselage is built with triangles, and that's the way to tie down, too. You want to keep the load from getting beaten up, but you don't need to hardmount it. If you have a light trailer, chances are it will flex, and you don't want the flexing of the trailer to put extra stress on the airplane.

Tie down at points built to accept stresses. Here are three approaches I can think of:
(1) air the tires up so they're firm, and tie down the nosewheel and the mains (you can find commercial wheel straps on the WWWeb, or make your own and fasten them to the trailer deck); add straps from the sides of the trailer to the tail to keep it stable laterally, not to tie it down.
(2) Tie down the mains and the tail skid, but be aware that that's a very unusual attitude for the wings, and they'll push a lot of air.
(3) Build a tailskid mount post that keeps the nosewheel just off the trailer; that way, the aircraft travels in a nearly-normal position, so the windstream puts less lifting load on the folded wings.
Option (1) probably offers the most cushioning, through the tires.

Make sure all your trailer lights -- including brakes, turn signals and flashers -- work right.

Take your time in loading. Be sure "good enough" is good enough for the entire trip.

Take a short local trip of a mile or two as a shakedown cruise. See what comes loose or rolls around or is otherwise not what you want. Fix that stuff, and you should be ready to go.

If you can get a chase car, have them follow right behind you.

Use your flashers where you're slower than other traffic. Instruct the chase car driver to use his flashers whenever you do. Use a walkie-talkie or cell phone to communicate.

Go ahead and hold traffic up. Towing slowly protects your precious cargo. It's rare to see an airplane on the road, and people will generally be more interested than upset. If you get a line behind you, find a place to pull over and let them go by; you'll get to enjoy the kids' noses pasted against the windows.

Have fun . . .
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

Return to “Just Aircraft”