Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by taildrgfun »

John, it is taking extra long for my prop because it is not one of his normal production props. He said he's making me an 82/43. He says it will take-off good and should still give me just over 100mph cruise. If it actually does both, I will be real happy.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I flew about 750 miles today to Gordon Nebraska on my way to Oshkosh. I would've liked to of gone farther but there were thunderstorms ahead of me. Had some pretty good tailwinds most of the day with my groundspeed between 120-140 mph. I am halfway there from Idaho.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

There are about 14 of us in the stol competition and half of them flew yesterday and I am in the half that will fly today. I think they are going to take the top six out of Monday and Tuesday and have a final on Wednesday. And then on Friday we are all supposed to go down and fly on the grass in the ultralight area. It's fun being here and seeing friends that I have not seen for a year.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

taildrgfun wrote:There are about 14 of us in the stol competition and half of them flew yesterday and I am in the half that will fly today. I think they are going to take the top six out of Monday and Tuesday and have a final on Wednesday. And then on Friday we are all supposed to go down and fly on the grass in the ultralight area. It's fun being here and seeing friends that I have not seen for a year.

Steve,
Sounds like great fun. Are there any other Superstol's in the competition? I sure hope someone is taking video and will post it up soon!
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

No footage of Steve here, but the official Oshkosh website has this video on it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs1i6rDiF5o
Check out the STOL competition from 4:12 to 4:38 on the video.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Great OSH video, thanks for posting.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Frank Knapp won again, with Bob Breeden in second, and Steve Henry only a few feet off in third place. Good job, Steve!

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-ai ... ompetition
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Nice job Steve.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Really amazing when you consider lil cub is a one of a kind, built just for the competition and useless for anything else, Breeden's cub is on nitrous (I think), and the Super Stol is the only stock, production aircraft of the three. With this level of exposure I expect to see a lot more one of a kind, built just for the competition and useless for anything else crates appearing next year. The bottom line for the vast majority is not to simply perform like a helicopter, but to actually be able to use the airplane for something in the real world.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
cray13071

Post by cray13071 »

R Rinker wrote:Really amazing when you consider lil cub is a one of a kind, built just for the competition and useless for anything else, Breeden's cub is on nitrous (I think), and the Super Stol is the only stock, production aircraft of the three. With this level of exposure I expect to see a lot more one of a kind, built just for the competition and useless for anything else crates appearing next year. The bottom line for the vast majority is not to simply perform like a helicopter, but to actually be able to use the airplane for something in the real world.
I agree Rodger. In the future maybe they'll consider a strictly stock division. Then put the other specially modified/designed planes in a separate division. Kind of hard to compete against lil cub.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Rodger, I must come to the defense of Frank Knapp, fellow Alaskan. Understand that he uses his Cub in the "real world" every day from his home near Palmer, Alaska to pleasure fly around in some of the most scenic country you can imagine. The minute he is airborne, he is in God's country. The argument that he's flying a "purpose built crate" while Steve is flying a stock production airplane would be a lot more valid if Steve were flying the same prop in competition that he uses for cross country, and were he flying a straight Rotax 912, not a hopped up 912 Turbo from Ronnie's shop. And nothing against Steve, Steve is great and his performance is great. He was great before he went to Valdez, and he's great after going to Oshkosh. And he's great without running down Frank Knapp or Bobby Breeden.
Super Stol Kit #299
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

I must be the worlds worst communicator. . . I certainly wasn't running down Frank! I admire him and his machine very much. He has worked hard and achieved what many of us always dreamed about. My point is, the better Frank & his machine are - the better the Super Stol is to be able to fly with him. Frank wouldn't be offended for us to point out the realities of his 'crate'..he would laugh along with us. He would be the last to pretend lil cub is a Helio (as in load carrying tank) or something. I watch in amazement as he entertains us with his eye popping performance. I know how much he flies because it shows clearly with his precision and feel. I'm a really big fan of his. But that doesn't make me close my eyes to the obvious realities. Look at a close up of him in lil cub. Most of my years in Alaska (I assume it's still the same), the 'law' was we had to carry a firearm, sleeping bag, fish net, (on & on..)...Frank might get to look at the moose, but he doesn't bring any home in it and he never intended to. Actually, you 'can' bring a moose home in a few trips with a Super Stol. Did you ever see a picture of an 'average' Alaskan load of survival & camping gear? It's kind of nice to be able to not only go somewhere but actually eat and sleep when you get there.
I really admire the Breeden's as well and am thrilled to point out that a Super Stol flew toe to toe with them.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
LORENZ

Post by LORENZ »

What's nice about all of these guys, after hearing each of them at Oshkosh last week is that they're all Blue Collar Working Class Stiffs that represent 90% of us. They are relatable. I can see myself flying any one of their aircraft... It's an attainable goal in this life. Owning a P51 or T51's, any of the jets or WWII fighters, or even a Helo, is just not attainable.

The reaction from the crowd was telling. Millions of dollars of machinery passed the flight line every day of the show. These guy were the only group, along with the small helo that picked up the giant America Flag under its belly, that was able to get the crowd to their feet with cheers. This is a segment of aviation that will grow very quickly.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Always thought the STOL competition aircraft should be carrying at least a few hundred pounds of useful cargo/pax load besides at least half fuel. Although the pilot is usually usefull load, wonder if the handicap for pilot weight?

Return to “Just Aircraft”