Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
messenger
Seasoned Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by messenger »

Steve, MY airmaster got damaged and is in new zealand for repair. They are asking me if I want the original warp drive blades or whirlwind blades. what is your opinion on my choices? Thanks R L Messenger
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I have never had Warp Drive taper tip blades so I don't know which is better. 75" Kiev blades pull harder than 75" Whirlwind blades but I don't know about Warp.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I went to an awesome fly-in in Nevada this weekend. Here are a few pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I would put more pics but it keeps telling me the file size is too big with only one at a time. :(
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Wow Steve,

That upper photo is certainly "magazine worthy" ! I suspect we will be seeing it elsewhere throughout the aviation publications.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Definitely a WOW photo. Thanks for posting it. Looks like you had a good time.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Steve that picture is amazing. Hopefully I have your permission to use it on my screen saver. Thanks again for all of the "spiritual counselling" with the props. I will keep you posted Cheer John
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Another pic from the High Sierra Flyin taken by Brent Beck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I got a Prince 80-42 on my 110hp Highlander and it is working very well! 5,300 static rpm, cruise 95 mph at 5,500. Take off and climb out are awesome! Totally spanks my Kiev even when pitched at 5,800 for take off!
I ordered an 80-40 today to try on my buddy's 100hp SS. We tried my 80-42 on his SS ahd he said it didn't take off as good as with his 82-38 Catto but it went quite a bit faster. It pulled his static rpm down to 5,000. I expect the 80-40 to go around 5,300 rpm. I also expect that it will take off at least as good as his 82-38 catto and that it will go faster for sure.

Here are a couple pictures I took yesterday of my Highlander with the 80-42 Prince.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

I have a ordered a 80 x 40 Prince as well. I really like my 80 x 38 as it has increased my ground speed by 10 knots! It pulls 5450 on static and I agree with Steve it has a better takeoff than the Catto. If anyone is thinking about ordering a prop sit tight till we get the 80 x40 on the stock 912ULS and will let you know the results. It seems if you have a 914 the 80 x42 is the way to go.
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

Hey Steve,
Do you have the weight of that 80-42? I'm wondering what the difference would be compared to wharpdrive on my machine. This might be a big help with the forward CG and provide some umph as well.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Brock I didn't weigh it but I would bet that it is lighter than a Warp drive and I KNOW you would get more umph. Only 2 blades, wood core with carbon fiber cover, no aluminum hub with extra pinch bolts. It is not heavy.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Many of you probably saw or heard somehow that I had a landing incident at Murphy, Idaho, on Friday. Sheeeesh, I was even on the news! It was very minor and I am already flying the airplane again. Makes you wonder if you can believe anything on the news, the way they reported on this! I was practicing landing as short as possible and I pushed it ever so slightly too far with a barrow pit being beside me. I tried to fly out of it like I have done many times before, but my tire hit the barrow pit before it was ready to fly. I broke the prop and the gear leg. Didn't hurt me a bit.

Weather permitting, I am planning to fly my SuperSTOL to Llano, Texas, for the STOL competition this weekend. My friend, Paul, is planning to fly my Highlander down there so I can compete in both of them. I have my Highlander working better than I have ever had any of them working.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Steve, I knew from the news report that you were fine, but it did sound like the airplane suffered more than it actually did. So what actually happens to the gear leg when it "breaks?" Did it also bend up the fuselage attach point? Glad you are flying again so quickly. Give 'em hell in Texas!
Super Stol Kit #299
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Steve, Didn't you install one of the Big Bore engines on your Highlander? Now that you have some time on it how would you compare it to your 914? Joe B

Return to “Just Aircraft”