Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by FlyerChief »

Congratulations on a 3rd place finish Steve! At least Just Aircraft is on their radar up there now.

This must be the Cub that won... pretty hard to beat this performance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ca7MpZahog

Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Actually I think it was this one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Wow...
Definitely just built for this competition... much like Billy's plane. Too bad we didn't get to see that show down! Maybe next year.
Thanks Rick,
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Rick is correct, it is the yellow one. He won last year too I believe. It looks like a butterfly when he takes off and lands. There is video of it somewhere on the web, might have been the Oratex website and youtube.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Does anyone know what the "results" mean? Landing distance, take-off roll or the addition of both?? Regardless, the fact that Steve flew his SuperStol the entire way there from Idaho and did so well is beyond outstanding.

Nice work Steve. Congratulations!!

Fly safe heading back home now.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

congrats Steve
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

There was an article in an EAA or AOPA magazine about the "Lil Cub." Frank spends day and night tweaking the performance of his Cub. It was purpose built and is constantly changing. He also practices all the time. It was a good article. I will dig it out and post the month. I'm guessing that the classes are certified and special built which they must consider the SS. Steve certainly knows how to make his machine sing! Way to go Steve!
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

The amazing thing about "Lil Cub" was that Knapp lost the original in a hanger fire recently. Obviously he was able to salvage some of the original, but a lot of the airplane had to be re-built. Amazing that he was able to compete at all.

Congradulations on your finish Steve!

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Ada boy STEVE!!!!

Did Billy have a problem with his plane?
Steve D N419LD
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Congrats Steve!! Pretty cool to see a Highlander take 3rd place, especially when against aircraft that are purpose built for that contest.

I've always thought they should use a different system for their contests. Something like testing them for top speed and weight carrying ability to come up with a handicap deduction. That way an airplane like the Highlander SS, (which is an airplane designed for STOL but yet very useable as a personal recreational aircraft) would be more accurately compared to the other aircraft. Not that I don't admire guys like Frank Knapp for his innovation and effort (it is a pretty cool little plane), but let's face it, that lil' Cub of his is pretty much designed for a single purpose.

But maybe I shouldn't be so critical. Maybe I could do something similar??? Hmmmmm....

I have an early A model Avid Flyer sitting in the back of my hangar that needs some attention as it hasn't flown in years. But man it was a rocketship. It weighed 396 lbs ready to fly, would climb easily over 2,200 ft a minute with a little ol' 60+ hp 532 Rotax. In the right conditions it would take off REALLY short, and it stalls at just a tad over 20 mph. So....after doing some numbers to compare wing and power loading to a Carbon Cub, if I put either a 90 hp 2 stroke in it, or a bored out 912 with a long prop, lengthened the landing gear about a foot, and recover it with lighter fabric, I could be in the money at Valdez????? (check out what an early 532 Avid on can do here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDSatUSoCY Oh, and it's on floats too!)

Aw heck, maybe I'll just put a small turbo prop in my Highlander?

But then I'd have to compete with Steve and Billy :wink:
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Well done, Steve! I'm proud of ya, buddy!!
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

mac wrote:Does anyone know what the "results" mean? Landing distance, take-off roll or the addition of both??
Here are the pertinent rules for the 2013 Fly-In from http://www.valdezalaska.org/documents/2 ... fly_in.pdf (I couldn't find this year's rules, but I suspect they're similar):
1. Each entrant will be allowed one run consisting of two sets of T/O & Landings.
2. Score will be based on the best T/O and landing set. (i.e. either the best set of the 1st T/O and landing, or 2nd T/O and landing.)
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Boy, Steve looks great at Valdez. Video is up on Youtube now at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvT5LMhvogw
Way to go Steve.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Way to go Steve! Great job.
Super Stol Kit #299
Familyflyer