Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
LORENZ

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by LORENZ »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
john2 wrote:
LORENZ wrote:97hp, 79 foot lbs of torque, very very close to the 912uls

< 87 lbs

6500rpm

Rotax C box mounts right up.
That's great but would be nice to know what motor you are referring too.

Rotax 670
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

LORENZ wrote:Rotax 670
Seems like that might be an interesting engine to consider for a tight-budget build.

Here's the website of "Rotax Rick", who builds 'em: https://rotaxrick.wordpress.com.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
LORENZ

Post by LORENZ »

That's my motor on his test stand yesterday. Inshoukd have it in my hot little hands mid week. I went this route mostly based on being a new pilot and not trusting myself to finish a big fire wall forward project. Give it a few years and if Im still in love with aviation I see a Kawi or a Yamaha motor in the next project. The #'s, budget, and ease of replacing my existing 582 lead me to pulling the trigger on a stupid lite, hot rod 2 stroke.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

LORENZ wrote:That's my motor on his test stand yesterday. Inshoukd have it in my hot little hands mid week...
What are you building?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
LORENZ

Post by LORENZ »

568lbs Avid MKIV, freshing her up again after her 20 year hiatus in storage. She's new to me.
LORENZ

Post by LORENZ »

image.jpeg
Stole her from a long sleep in storage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

If there are no FAA holdups my new Yamaha powered Highlander will be getting inspected next Monday or Tuesday. I'm sure looking forward to flying it! I have a borrowed 74" Prince prop until my 80-46 Prince arrives hopefully in the very near future. If this motor runs as good as it sounds it will be awesome. I should know a lot more in a week or so.

I would like to fly one of my Highlanders to Sun-n Fun but I think it is just too far for that time of year so I'm going down on Southwest. If the weather is good I plan to fly one of my planes to Llano Texas for the STOL competition a couple weeks later. The Yamaha is such an unknown to me at this point that I will most likely take my Rotax HLDR, the same one I had at Osh last year for the STOL thing.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

Will you give any odds that you will have the Yamaha at OSH this year?
Av8r3400
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

No odds yet. I have nitrous on my big bore Rotax which gives be about 150 hp for take off so the Yamaha would no doubt also need nitrous to beat the Rotax. I'm looking into putting NOS on it but don't have it figured out yet.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

You are "Wild Man" Steve! :-)

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Steve, now that the Yamaha is mounted can you post some photos on your web site. I checked out the video posted on YouTube by the guy that makes the transition fitting for the Rotax reduction drive. Other than that I have not been able to find much else on line for the aircraft application of this engine. Lots of anowmobile video though. Please take a bunch of detailed photos of the installation. What RPM range are you shooting for operation on your Highlandeer? Thanks so much. I will see you again at Oshkosh this year. I will be flying a CUB in for the first time ever. Can't wait. Joe B
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I know that a lot of you are waiting to hear what I think of this Yamaha and I wish I had more to tell you but I just don't yet I really tried to have it in the air with some time on it before sun and fun but I just could not make it happen that quickly. I have flown it some and I know that it is capable of making probably 20 hp more than my big bore Rotax which makes about 115 hp. I can tell that by the prop that I have on it and the RPM that it turns it compared to my Rotax engines. The exhaust system that I built is just so loud that I cannot tolerate the noise so I have to redo that and it seems to want an airbox with these constant velocity carburetors so I have built an airbox for it now. Getting the intake and exhaust and jetting all right is what is taking me the time now. And now my busy season has started so I have much less time to devote to this project so I really don't know when I'm going to get it really going good. And then after I do get it running good like someone said I really have to put a lot of hours on it and get some real practical experience with it before I will be able to make much of a judgment call on it. I do think it has a lot of potential but I just have to take it a step at a time and that takes a lot of time unfortunately.

In the meantime I am flying YeeHaw 4 which is my beloved Highlander with a 115 hp big bore Rotax engine. I really like this engine and airplane combination. If the weather is good I plan to fly it to Texas for the stol competition down there the 22nd and 23rd of this month. And at the rate things are going I expect that this is the airplane I will be flying to Oshkosh for the STOL competition there this summer as well. After I get my Yamaha running good I will not want to take any big trips with it until I get quite a bit of time on it locally first.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks for the update Steve! I was hoping to attend the TX STOL Roundup, but am stuck in Ohio with a Bum knee.

Good Luck!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Hey Steve, thanks so much for the update. Obviously a whole bunch of us are curious how your new engine will work out. But we also know that is a huge undertaking. And it is a really cool thing for you to share all of what you are learning with us. And who knows, maybe one day that could be "the engine" we all dreamed of? Most everything good takes time. And patience is a virtue. So thank you for making that huge effort.

In the meantime please do keep us posted on how your new YeeHaw4 Highlander does this season. I know there is a lot of emphasis and hype currently on the Super Stol, but there are a whole bunch of us with Highlanders that would love to learn more about how all your Highlander mods have worked out. I think both the Highlander and the Super Stol are fantastic airplanes, but the good ol' tried and true original, the Highlander, tends to be overshadowed these days by the newer Super Stol. So I am really glad to see you keeping the Highlander front and center with all your latest modifications.

I also think it says a lot that you aren't afraid to compete in intense STOL competition (like OSH Valdez or TX) with your Highlander. And even if you end up going up against a 400 hp SuperCub :shock: , or maybe even worse, the new Titan 180 Super Stol XL, we'll all be cheering you on!
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Steve has some new pictures on his website the the new Highlander (Galleries / 2016 Highlander). The exhaust system looks wicked :twisted:

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”