Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by taildrgfun »

I got the insulation in my cowling a few days ago and I have several hours on my new airplane now. It is awesome! The engine is so smooth and runs so clean and powerfully and the airplane just flies and handles so well, it is really a joy to fly!!

There are a lot of things about this airplane that make it special but a few of them are pretty easy to do and really make any Highlander into a much much better airplane. Even if a Highlander has been flying for years I would so highly recommend the deflectors on the wings which people call flap gap seals, vortex generators on the wing and under the tail, gap seal the elevator to the horizontal stabilizer and especially install the leading edge cuff on the wings. We have the wing cuffs available for $500 delivered in the US.

Another little thing that would probably take most people about a day to do is to build spades for the ailerons. They make the airplane much nicer to fly because the roll rate is so much quicker and it just feels so much lighter when flying it. I flew my friends stock Highlander a while back and I was absolutely amazed at how heavy the ailerons felt. My ailerons do not feel like that at all, they’re so much lighter and easier.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Re: Spades

I know there are a few pictures on here, but can you do a write up on your spade design/placement?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hey Dana,
Here are some photos of Steve's spades at OSH 2017. I have flown with spades in 2 pitts and 1 Christen Eagle II that I've owned. I Love them As Steve said, very smooth!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

After reading the last few posts here I had to go back to the videos on the previous page. Steve does not have spades on #6. The photos that BucF16 posted were from YeeHaw#5. I really wish i could get my hands on that stick and throttle. Sounds like a blast! Joe B
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Sorry NOT Dana, Dane :oops: Damn spell check
Bruce
Builder web site:
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

MTT you're correct, no Spades. But I will not fly off my time with spades. I'll add them later as I did on the Pitts'.

Bruce
Builder web site:
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

BucF16 wrote:Sorry NOT Dana, Dane :oops: Damn spell check
Bruce

Eh...common error. Not sure why spell check doesn’t recognize a common name like Dane.

Great pictures, thanks.

I have flown citabrias with and without spades and gap seals, both 7-KCABs. Very noticeable difference in control feel.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I should have been a little more specific, I also reshape the front of the ailerons on the Highlander more like the Superstol ailerons are shaped. If you’re building a new Highlander I think changing the front of the ailerons is very worthwhile. If you already have a completed airplane and you think the ailerons feel heavy, then the spades are a nice addition that’s easy to do.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Thankyou for clarifying that.

Can you post pictures and / or talk about how you got the Oratex finish tape on the vert transition please??
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

BDA I really don’t have pictures of putting that tape on. My friend who helped me with the covering because he had previously done two carbon cubs with it, actually put that tape on while I was doing something else. I know that we very carefully put glue down where the tape was going to go and did not just trust the glue that comes on the tapes.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

My new baby basking in the early morning sunlight!
Our new Highlander with the Yamaha Apex engine is fantastic!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I finally got that first 40 hours on the new Highlander. It was super easy in that I had very little adjusting or tuning to do. I just had too many things going on, bad weather and things like that made it takes several weeks. This engine is super efficient, it’s the best mileage I’ve ever gotten, I checked my fuel consumption very carefully the last eight hours I’ve flown the plane and I have averaged 3.7 gallons per hour. I landed 80+ times and was cruising around between 85 and 105 mph during those eight hours. It goes an honest 100 mph airspeed/groundspeed at half throttle. My first take off of the day I normally take it pretty easy until my gearbox and everything is all warmed up. I took off and climbed out at half throttle and my rate of climb was 1000 ft./m. Of course it is much better than that with full power.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks for the update Steve! I saw you pix on your Facebook page. Yee Haw 6 Looks like she wants to Leap into the air from a sit. I can't wait to try it out myself.

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Very impressive information Steve. Especially that low fuel burn. Of course being able to cruise at half throttle is right up there on the list too :D

Do you like that new prop? It sure looks good. Then again, the whole new Yee Haw looks good. Congrats on another fine highlander,
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Steve, now that you have some flying time on Yee Haw 6 do you have any comments on the modified ailerons you modified based on the SS ailerons? Is the performance difference noticeable? Things like that. I'm guessing that you hand built the modified ailerons and probably the false spar in front of the ailerons. I know that the SS ailerons were very effective at low speeds. Seems like it could be a worth wile modification to the Highlander. Of course your ailerons should already be more effective with your wider wings than the stock wing just from the increased moment arm. Just curious. You haven't commented yet. Thanks. Joe B

Return to “Just Aircraft”