Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by taildrgfun »

I have been working long days and haven't been on here for a few days. i will try to get some pics.
I'm not doing much of a builders log because I don't think about it most of the time and when I do think of it I don't want to take the time away from getting it built.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks, I certainly understand about the build log, takes a lot of time and effort to do it right. Plus, it's not like this is your first build! :D :D

It would be nice if you could document all the "upgrades" or at least take pics of those as you are doing them? I'm really excited about the RX1 engine!

Thanks for the effort!
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

We put quite a few pictures of building this new Highlander on our website today. The wings are now ready for color and I started covering the fuselage today. It's all coming along pretty good but I am putting in lots of hours to make it happen before spring. I've been working on it for about five weeks now usually around 12 hours a day. I am so thankful to have a nice warm well lighted shop to work in.

The nitrous on my Rotax powered Highlander is working really well too. It's really fun pushing the button and gaining about 6 or 700 RPMs for a supershort take off. The downside of the nitrous is that it runs out where as a turbocharger never runs out. The plus side is that it cost thousands less and is lighter.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Our Website is http://www.wildwestaircraft.com
We also have a Facebook page.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Those mods look great. I would love more detail on all of them, especially the cuff and tail wheel setup. Thanks for putting those photos up!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hello Steve, Thank you for taking the time to post your pictures of the new Highlander on your website. My Highlander build is at the perfect place to incorporate the "Leading Edge Cuff", and the new tailwheel mod. It appears that the LEC (cuff) is a purpose made fiberglass buildup. Do you, or whomever supplied you the cuff, plan on offering said cuff for sale? And of course the tail wheel design as well. We know your are busy, but thanks in advance for your reply!

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Bruce call me at 208-880-7887.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I got started painting yesterday and will hopefully be done painting in a week or so. I really don't enjoy this part but I feel like I'm way over the hump and then it gets fun again when I get it all painted. This Yamaha RX1 (four cylinder four stroke) powered Highlander will look almost the same as 342SC that I'm flying now with the big bore Rotax.

You can see build pictures at our webpage http://www.wildwestaircraft.com (under the Gallery, Building the 2016 Highlander) and on our FaceBook page, Wild West Aircraft. Yee Haw!!
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Great pics Steve. How about a few words about the engine? Expected horsepower, operating rpms, weight, cost, reduction unit used, etc.
Super Stol Kit #299
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I expect this Yamaha to be somewhere between 120 to 140 hp. We will just have to see what it actually produces for thrust. My final reduction is 4.13 to 1. The redline on this engine is 11,200 RPM. So at 10,000 RPM the prop will be doing about 2500 RPM which should be just perfect. One thing I do not like is that the prop turns the opposite direction from a Rotax so none of my propellers that I currently have will work on this airplane. I have a new 80–46 Prince ordered for it.
It is the same weight as a 100 hp Rotax. My engine is a very low time 2003 from a RX-1 snowmobile with the skyTrax adapter to a Rotax C gearbox. I bought the sled for under $3000 and the gearbox and adapter together cost $3000

I should be done painting and two or three more days and then I can start assembling this thing permanently. I have to work too hard to build one of these things in three or four months but this time I just felt like it's what I had to do.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Done painting!!!
LORENZ

Post by LORENZ »

97hp, 79 foot lbs of torque, very very close to the 912uls

< 87 lbs

6500rpm

Rotax C box mounts right up.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

LORENZ wrote:97hp, 79 foot lbs of torque, very very close to the 912uls

< 87 lbs

6500rpm

Rotax C box mounts right up.
That's great but would be nice to know what motor you are referring too.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’m guessing what troy is referring to is the Yamaha RX1 engine he is installing in the Highlander. At 6500 RPM that is 65% of the 10,000 target RPM that is pretty good. It would result in approximately 121 HP from the Yamaha RX1 at 7500 RPM, probably a little more. Red Line RPM on the engine is 11,500 RPM.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I finished painting last Wednesday and today I got back my panel and turtleback and wing tips and other parts from powder coating and also I got back my exhaust from getting it ceramic coated today so hopefully this thing will be flying here in another month or so. If I was doing a Rotax I could probably have it flying in two weeks but I'm sure I will have more delays and figuring things out with this Yamaha than the familiar Rotax.

Return to “Just Aircraft”