Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Wild West Aircraft

Post by taildrgfun »

I changed my You-Tube name from taildrgfun to Steve Henry. I also posted a short video of my new SuperSTOL.If I did this right here is the url: http://youtu.be/OJ2-XVxC9q8
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
mac
Seasoned Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by mac »

Nice job Steve! Hope to be one of those "monkeys" in the not-so-distant future. With your help.........maybe so! :D
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Steve, looks great. Nice to see you got it together so fast. Are you planning to go to Arlington in July? Hopefully you do, then I can have a closer look.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Yes I do plan on flying it to Arlington.
accent air
Seasoned Member

Post by accent air »

He steve im right behind you, just starting to paint. It was really nice meeting you and your wife at sun n fun and at Garys condo. The plane looks great.
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
richjen

Post by richjen »

Great job on the new Super STOL Steve. WIll you be doing any more videos in it?
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Kris, it was good meetin' y'all too.
Riverziggy

Post by Riverziggy »

Hey Steve,
I tried to e-mail you on your website but kept getting an error message. I'm still a few months out trying to put together funds for a highlander SS kit but had a few questions. I'm in AZ so I fiqure it may be more cost effective to order a kit through you than the J.A. factory. Shoot me an e-mail if you have a little time and don't mind answering some questions I have.
Thanks,
Roy riverziggy@yahoo.com
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I put a short video on YouTube from a few years ago in my 1st Highlander playing on the water. http://youtu.be/9fKcjf0qz9Y
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I just put another short video of landing on a very small hilltop in my SuperSTOL. What an incredibly fun airplane! Here's the link: http://youtu.be/Jnr5lqg-_3w
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Great video Steve. That had to be nerve racking. I have to wonder once the insurance companies find out how these planes are used if they will continue to insure :wink:
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Thanks John, it is pretty intense landing there. I was out there again a couple weeks ago and I did a few touch and go's but didn't land it. I had too much fuel, the DA was too high and I couldn't get my ground speed under 40 which just doesn't cut it on such a small, unforgiving place. I will do it again on another day.

I don't think insurance companies much like any off airport landings in any kind of airplane.
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

taildrgfun wrote:I just put another short video of landing on a very small hilltop in my SuperSTOL. What an incredibly fun airplane! Here's the link: http://youtu.be/Jnr5lqg-_3w
Hey Steve is that that little hill you were telling me about some months back? You finally did it - congrats. -Brock
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

It was pretty windy here today and I went out to the airport for a little practice. The runway is about 5,000' long so I would take-off and land again over and over down the runway. I got 40 of 'em in four times around without even trying to see how many I could do. The last take-off each time I could still climb out and be 500' high by the end of the runway. The wind was 20 knots, gusty quartering headwind.

Yesterday morning was windy too so I was having some more fun. On one landing I was 1,000' AGL over the end of the runway and I decended straight down for the first 500' with the nose high in slow flight. Then it started getting pretty gusty so I had to keep up a little more speed. I landed about 800' forward from where I started out 1,000' high.

It is really fun all the different kind of things that a person can do in these SuperSTOL's!

I'm actually trying to get good and practiced up to go to Valdez next month so I can attempt to beat Billy in his incredibly light SuperSTOL! LOL Maybe it will count for something flying it all the way up there and back. I hope we both do great, only time will tell.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

That sure sounds like alot of fun. Flying to fly with no destination, what a concept :lol:

How does it handle the crosswind taxiing in strong winds? I assume lots of breaking to keep it straight with the none steerable tail wheel? What about the big wing, does it the upwind side get pushed up much because of the soft suspension allowing the fuse to rotate?

Sure hope you do well at Valdez.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/

Return to “Just Aircraft”