Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by scubarider2 »

And you would pay BIG for a Sensenich :shock:
I wanted one and was really thinking about getting it however I could find no one with any performance stats. Was afraid to drop the coin on something that did nothing but look good.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

Steve- Nice write up on the EAA website. Make us proud in AK. (No pressure :wink: )

Oren- I've got one of the new Sensenich props ready to go on my Highlander. I was retired when I bought it and thought I'd have my plane in the air by now. Unfortunately, I was talked into taking a job and this has delayed my progress immensely. I hope to have it flying in late July (barring any other irrational decisions). I'll provide performance updates as soon as I can.

Dennis- MAN! Is it pretty!

Dan
N957DK
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

The prop that Catto is sending me next week for the 914 is 84x41 if I remember right. I don't plan to go anywhere so it should be good for me. But you never know where I will let it take me :D
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

A bunch of years ago Jack at Cornell Aero did a bunch of prop testing. He had the 2 blade Sensenich 70 inch ground adjust and measured it against a Warp 72 3 blade, and an IVO medium ground adjust 72 in 3 blade. The Sensenich pulled the least pounds of thrust, and the IVO pulled the most. It was very significant, if I recall it was over 100 lbs of difference.

Ironically, I own his old Highlander today with that Sensenich 2 blade, and even though it made the least thrust, it flies really nice with that prop. I cruise at 108 mph verified at 5450rpm (W 850 TIRES AND UNCOVERED GEAR LEGS) and it climbs like a banshee. And runs super smooth. There's really not much to dislike.

I do however have a 3 blade 69 inch Sensenich that I purchased used recently as well as a warp 3 blade that I hope to flight test for comparison some time this summer. When I get those results I will post them here.

However, I dont think my needs are quite as demanding as all this extreme back country stuff that many of you do, as I want good STOL performance, but I still want to be able to cruise from place to place at a reasonably decent speed. And even though the Super Stol is an incredible STOL aircraft, my regular Highlander blows away anything in my neck of the woods just the way it is. So my goal is to improve both ends (stol and cruise) as best as I can with the right prop, and maybe with some more horsepower, and some further airframe lightening. I believe I will be able to get my regular Highlander within 95% of what a Super Stol will do if I am successful.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

However, I dont think my needs are quite as demanding as all this extreme back country stuff that many of you do, as I want good STOL performance, but I still want to be able to cruise from place to place at a reasonably decent speed. And even though the Super Stol is an incredible STOL aircraft, my regular Highlander blows away anything in my neck of the woods just the way it is. So my goal is to improve both ends (stol and cruise) as best as I can with the right prop,
I bet you'll be happiest with the 2 blade Sensenich. I had one on my RV12, beautiful prop and great all around performance. I have no idea of the details, but several engineers tell me it was a near perfect mate for the Rotax 912. I only want STOL, so I don't use one, but they are nice.

Different but related to propeller choices, dynamic balancing your propeller makes a huge difference, especially with a Rotax.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I know a longer prop would be better on a STOL type aircraft, but that 70 inch Sensenich is overall pretty impressive. So I do believe they did their homework in designing that 2 blade specifically for the Rotax. It does make for a really good all around prop, giving good cruise and decent STOL capabilities.

But I am anxious to know how their 3 blade with 69 inch blades will work by comparison (that too was specically designed for the Rotax. And man is it pretty..). I may even go so far as to try their 75 inch blade they make for the 3 blade, but I'm guessing that might be an expensive experiment :wink:

The cool thing is that now we FINALLY have some super long props to pick from (Catto and Prince, etc) if we really want to go booney bashing. Up until just recently that wasnt even an option. (Hey, maybe Troy should sell as an option a special rack that hangs in the baggage area, so you always have your STOL blade with you :roll: would be kind of like seeing gun racks in the back windows of trucks )
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

I purchased the three blade 72" Sensenich propeller, 9.5" Carbon Fibre spinner and 1" spacer direct from Sensenich. I plan to operate my aircraft off of floats, skis and wheels and believe that this propeller will suit all of my needs but like everyone else I don't not have any numbers back this up. My decision to buy from Sensenich was made for the following reasons:

Manufactured in the US by a company that was founded in 1932;
Quality of construction;
Impressive technical support;
The blades and hub are serialized, data pertaining to them is kept on file at Sensenich,
Easy to adjust; and
It has an inspection schedule that takes it to a 2000hr inspection. At this point it is sent to an approved propeller repair station where depending on its condition it can be returned to service.

My aircraft passed inspection last week and I am just waiting on the administrative process to release the aircraft for flight. For those of you who are interested I will post numbers as soon as I get them.
Sensenich.jpg
C-FJLX.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Hey Jack,

Beautiful plane! Did you build it? Why is this only your first post? What paint did you use, and what is that color called? I am sort of partial to bright, hot, orange. Great job.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

nice looking airplane really like the paint......
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Wow, did not realize so many were buying the Sensenich 3-blade. Please as soon as you get some numbers let us know. Especially against the Warp 3-blade.
Thanks everyone!
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
markdille

Post by markdille »

Jack,
I agree with the others. That is an amazing looking plane! Very nice job. Not only are the paint choices fantastic, but the way you sculpted the lines really brings out the natural lines of the Highlander. Can't wait for numbers. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried or know of anyone who has trie the 75" Sensenich ground adjustable prop? I know the 70" is far more common, but I would think, in this case, the 75" would provide thrust in line with or greater than some of the 72" three blades while performing a little better in cruise and possibly climb. Lighter as well.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I'm leaving in my SS for Valdez today or possibly tomorrow. Should be a fun adventure and a chance to make new friends. I've been talking to Frank Knapp from up there and he seems like a great guy. He won Valdez last year and I'm sure he could do it again this year in his "Little Cub". It will only go 62 mph wide open and flies like a butterfly. Billy Paine should be tough too in his 600 and some pound SS. I'm going to go do my best in my 830 pound every day flier SuperSTOL Yee Haw III.

I'm running my Kiev set for cruise for the trip and supposed to have a Catto up there for the competition. My frind Gary got here to Idaho yesterday in his Highlander and he is flying it to Alaska with me too so that will make the trip safer and a lot more fun!
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

taildrgfun wrote:I'm leaving in my SS for Valdez today or possibly tomorrow. Should be a fun adventure and a chance to make new friends. Snip....
Good Luck Steve!!! Look forward to hearing all about the trip.

Paul
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Steve,

I know it is a lot of time and work, but a write up for the whole trip; up, back, and there, would be really interesting.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

taildrgfun wrote:... Billy Paine should be tough too in his 600 and some pound SS.
600 + ???Holy Cow. I think leaving the wings off is really going to hurt him in the competition. :-)

Good luck to you guys. Should be a fun time. Certainly a beautiful place to fly.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh

Return to “Just Aircraft”