Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by taildrgfun »

900’ flat or 300’ on a hill both would be nice individually, together it sounds downright awesome.

The stol drag races at Reno went very well! We are now an official class there!
My Turbo Yamaha Highlander performed exceptionally well. I set quick time with it and the second quickest plane was a Carbon Cub running lots of nitrous flown by my friend Toby Ashley. This truly was just a demonstration and there were no trophies or prizes but now that we are an official class next year it will be more for real.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Jentree

Post by Jentree »

That’s awesome Steve. I watched every bit of it on YouTube. Your piloting was superb. I liked the way you were able to not balloon when starting your slip. Is Edge performance taking orders to build more Yamaha e-pex engines? When will you be putting together another group order from Just? I might want to get in on the next one. Maybe even purchase a trailer to have the next few kits delivered in?
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

It looks like I’m going to be a dealer for the Edge Performance engine’s so if you want to get one just let me know.
I really haven’t done group orders. I just order a kit for each person so we get them all just right for everyone’s unique needs and desires.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Congrats Steve!!! As most, I watched on YouTube the Stol-Drag. I have a question; What are the configuration rules? I noticed that Draco was not involved at OSH or Reno. Are reversible props disallowed? You didn't have spoilers on your Jery struts on this Highlander???

Thanks in advance.
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

So here is the site for Stol-Drag:
http://www.stoldrag.com/about

No mention of Aircraft restrictions.

So, Why did Draco not attend?

I do think Your ePex will dominate High Sierra!

Cheers,
Bruce
Builder web site:
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

BucF16 wrote:So, Why did Draco not attend?
I read somewhere that Mike said the insurance premium to compete at Reno was outrageous, so he decided not to compete.

What irony...
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

BucF16 wrote:
No mention of Aircraft restrictions.

So, Why did Draco not attend?
Unfortunately I don’t think Draco will be attending much after yesterday. Glad everyone was okay though.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Mike did not compete with Draco at Oshkosh because he is sponsored by Garman and they had him in a static display all week. He did not compete at Reno because his insurance would not cover him if he did. I was extremely disappointed to not get to race him at Reno. I was still looking forward to racing him at High Sierra next month but now it will never happen since Draco is wrecked.

There really are no rules at this time about what you can fly in this competition. If you get signed up and come to High Sierra and are quick enough and good enough to qualify for the main event then you’re in. I think it’s awesome like this because it inspires innovation and I think it inspires people to practice and get really good at flying their airplanes.

I am not in a turn in this picture, I am flying straight down the course in a very very hard side slip. Because of the angle this picture was taken from you cannot tell that I am hard into the right rudder, but believe me I am very hard into it here! It takes me about 9 to 10 seconds to accelerate to about 105 mph from a dead stop at which time I yank the throttle and pitch it sideways like this to get slowed back down to land it. After coming to a complete stop we have to whip the airplane around in a 180 and do the same thing back to the line where we started from. It’s amazing how fun and busy and intense it is doing this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hi Steve. I watched as many videos of your heats as I could. It appeared that you spent half of the course accelerating and half decelerating. 1000 ft each. At High Sierra, with a mile to play with, I imagine you'll be able to achieve horizontal terminal velocity. That will be a heck of a ride. I can't get there this year, but someday.

Good Luck!!
Builder web site:
Jentree

Post by Jentree »

Steve, when ordering from Edge Performance do you still have to provide an Apex engine?
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

If you follow this link:

https://www.facebook.com/EdgePerformanc ... oup_dialog

It looks like Thomas has one crate new APEX left. If you want an EPEX, this is the way to go. Hurry, only one crate new motor left. Of course, he'll offer rebuilt APEX's too. Or, you can ship him your own.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Bruce the course at HSF is going to be 2,000' like Reno. Yes I accelerate so quickly that I do have to start slowing down at about 1,000'. My ground speed is between 100mph and 110 mph at 1,000' after only 9 to 10 seconds from a dead stop! This thing is quick!!
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

taildrgfun wrote:Bruce the course at HSF is going to be 2,000' like Reno. Yes I accelerate so quickly that I do have to start slowing down at about 1,000'. My ground speed is between 100mph and 110 mph at 1,000' after only 9 to 10 seconds from a dead stop! This thing is quick!!

Steve, The F-16C Block 30 Big Mouth (It was the Beast of F-16s) would get airborne in 1700' at 160 Knots, in full afterburner! It was a "RUSH"! I can only imagine that you are experiencing the same execration!!!

ENJOY
Builder web site:
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

At about 3500 feet density altitude this thing goes from a dead stop to 110 mph in 10 seconds! It will climb 3000 ft./min. at 100 mph within seconds of taking off! I’m off to the High Sierra fly in and the big stol drag race there in the morning. Sounds like there are somewhere around 130 aircraft attempting to qualify for the 16 positions in the actual race. It’s going to be fun!!
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

That is awesome Steve! Good luck, go get'em!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Just Aircraft”