Roll on paint job?? Anyone tried this?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Roll on paint job?? Anyone tried this?

Post by Ewalk02 »

I was cruising around the EAA website when I came across this article about rolling on your paint:

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilder ... #TopOfPage

Has anyone done this (or heard of this done) with any kind of success? I plan on using the Stewarts System paint and if good results can come from rolling it on I may consider it.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
957DK
Seasoned Member

Re: Roll on paint job?? Anyone tried this?

Post by 957DK »

There's a fella at our local airport that recently finished some sort of Zenith. Most of it is polished aluminium but where it was painted he used a roller. It looks really nice as long as it's moving at least 50mph and you're at leat 100 feet away. I won't be using that approach, but then that's just my slanted view.

Dan
donRNO

Post by donRNO »

If I remember correctly, you are using Stewart's products. Ask them. Also you can make up a test panel with rib stitching/rivets and tapes. Then try it out. I saw a Kit Fox years ago that was painted using a roller, and it looked great.

I had a Cub painted with the Blue River system (very similar to Stewart's), and I repaired a wingtip ding (about 6 square inches) by applying the BR finish coat with a brush and smoothing it out with a finger dipped in water. It blended perfectly. The water-thinned paint can be quite forgiving.

Don
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I used Stewarts and painted the interior kick panels with a roller. the trouble is that with the Stewarts system, whether sprayed or rolled, those first couple of coats have to be very light scratch coats. It's hard to apply a super thin coat with a roller. If the first coat is too thick, it kinda beads up on top of the primer and the finished product has the look and texture of a cantaloupe skin. I ended up sanding it smooth and re-doing it with the sprayer.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

That is good to know. I am planning Stewart's and had thought of shortcutting the interior paint a bit, but I guess I will go all the way with it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Robert Dingus

Post by Robert Dingus »

if you are using a latex paint you can thin it with windshield washer fluid, its better than water, if you roll it on you can have slight fisheyes but it can be sprayed in an HVLP air gun. after some wet sanding with 1200 to 1500 grit you can wax it and it will last as long as the original paints.

been reading up on this a lot lately, there was a demo of this at Oshkosh 2 weeks ago.

robert (spent 1 day at the show, not enough time there)
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

If you use the bug remove washer fluid does it keep the bugs off? (Just kidding, couldn't help it)
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

danerazz wrote:If you use the bug remove washer fluid does it keep the bugs off? (Just kidding, couldn't help it)
For that matter if you use the de-ice washer fluid can we stop worrying about ice build up??
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Maybe if we used de-ice washer fluid in our fuel, we wouldn't have to worry about carburetor ice. :?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
cluttonfred
Forum Regular

Post by cluttonfred »

I have not tried it, but I understand that the purpose-made Floetrol product can help latex paint go on smoothly. I'd be tempted to try it with a Wagner Power Painter or equivalent cheap sprayer.
Matthew Long, Editor
cluttonfred.info
A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED

« Voici ce que j'ai fait...vous pouvez en faire autant! »
"This is what I have done...you can do the same!"
--Henri Mignet (1893-1965)
Aeroprakt

Post by Aeroprakt »

I got a MiniMax for very few dollars that had a damaged tail, and after fixing and covering the tail, I decided to try house paint. I did a lot of research and then got a paint match from our local paint supply store. Put on many coats with Floetrol, paint very thin and flowy, with a roller. The rest of the plane has Aerothane. You cannot tell the difference, in color or texture. There was some glue on the surface where I had patched the H Stab and it didn't do well over the glue. The glue has aged and you can see where it was. I guess I didn't get enough polybrush there.
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Very good is when you don't have to fix the plane before flying it again.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

I saw one that was painted with a roller , it looked like sH>#
At 20 yards, won't even tell you what it looked like at 10 feet.
I'll stick with the sprayer!!
Will fly for food!!
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

I've pretty much ruled this out, seemed too good to be true.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223

Return to “Just Aircraft”