Weight of Highlander wings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Saini flyer
Forum Regular

Weight of Highlander wings

Post by Saini flyer »

I have three questions and would appreciate the answers from the group,
1. What is the weight of each Highlander wing?
2. How long does it take to install the wing to the fuselage?
3. For those who have removed their wings for installing the SS wing, how long did it take you to remove the wing?

Thanks,
Rahul
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Weight of Highlander wings

Post by danerazz »

I don't know that anyone (other than the factory on the original black prototype) has replaced their wings with SS wings to date.

As far as installing/removing, are you talking about after they have been rigged and initially installed? If so, it does not take long; just two bolts for the spars (or a bolt and a pin), three for the struts, and then the jury struts when you are done. Then just connect three cables and tension, and the fuel lines. Any lights/compass modules you have installed are then connected. Then repeat. Really shouldn't take more than maybe an hour.

As for taking them off, probably a little faster.

I did weigh my wings (un-covered), and I am sorry to say I don't remember what they weighed. I am not "in country" right now, so I can't look it up. I will say that I have no problem picking them up from the rear spar, though they are very ungainly to maneuver with. It is definitely a 2 person job to install/remove them.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Saini flyer
Forum Regular

Post by Saini flyer »

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering looking at the "Highlander in Thailand" thread where they removed the wings to ship the plane in a container about the weight of the wings that might not allow it to be shipped by just folding them back?

Dane, from your reply it looks like the rigging and de-rigging of wing is a pretty easy option Vs folding the wing. Does the factory trailer their aircraft cross-country by folding the wings or removing them?
I would still like to know the weight of the wings.

Thanks,
Rahul
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Troy has told me several times in discussions about trailering planes that the old factory demonstrator Escapade, Juliet Alpha I believe it is, has thousands of miles on it being towed on a open trailer and that he prefers towing this way.
In recent times, especially with the SuperStol they have flown the planes to the fly-ins.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I have only seen them fly into anywhere that I have seen them.

I certainly don't think removing the wings is easier than folding them, that is about a 10 minute job (maybe less). The containerized highlander in Thailand probably had the wings removed because the containers are about 8' wide, and with the wings folded the plane is about 8' wide. I had looked at getting a container and using it as a temporary "hangar" until I could afford to build something larger, but it really wouldn't fit well (I can't remember the exact dimensions, but I seem to remember the container being just a couple inches narrower than the folded highlander). Even if it did "fit," shipping it to anywhere really, I wouldn't trust that the leading edges wouldn't get knocked into the sides of the container.

Maybe the guy in Thailand will chime in to clarify, but I suspect it either did not fit or he was worried about damage from the plane shifting en-route.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I've never measured mine, but I believe the Highlander is 8'6" wide, the maximum width allowed on the road in the USofA.

As for folding the wings, it takes me less than 5 minutes, by myself, to remove the turtle deck and fold the wings. If I have help it takes at least 15 minutes. I'm not kidding at all.

:shock:

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Saini flyer
Forum Regular

Post by Saini flyer »

Alan,

I just spilled my coffee reading your reply. I am still laughing :lol:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

alan wrote:I've never measured mine, but I believe the Highlander is 8'6" wide, the maximum width allowed on the road in the USofA.

As for folding the wings, it takes me less than 5 minutes, by myself, to remove the turtle deck and fold the wings. If I have help it takes at least 15 minutes. I'm not kidding at all.

:shock:

Alan
I thought the legal trailer width was up at about 10 feet.... at least in WA State.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

According to the AAA, Hawaii has a maximum of 108 inches, and the rest of the states are generally 102 inches (8' 6") except in a couple of states, and on some roads in some states where the limit is 96 inches (8'). These generally do NOT include mirrors, latches, or safety devices such as lights and reflectors. Washington state is 102 inches, mirrors can extend another 5", turn signals 4", awnings another 6".

According to the Just Aircraft website, the HL with folded wings is 7' 11.5" wide.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

If you want the SS to fold to 8'-6" you need to clip the flap corners.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

With the $20 permit the width allowed is increased from standard 8'6" up to 14 feet in WA state.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Saini, The weight of our planes is anywhere between 580 lbs to over 800 lbs it all depends on the builder there is no average that I can tell you. We haven't built an escapade in the factory in years so I don't have any weight and balance info to share. As I remember the weight of our wings is around 40 lbs each before paint and wingtips.
The reason the wings are removed to put into a container is there is no containers wide enough to get the plane into it with the wings folded. It only takes about an hour to remove if your on the slow side. When we pack a highlander into a container we remove the wings , rudder, and elevators, also the prop and spinner of course. All of this takes us about an hour and about 2 to reassemble. Hope this helps. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Saini flyer
Forum Regular

Post by Saini flyer »

Jak,
Thanks for the information. I hope this thread will be useful for others that are looking at transporting the plane overseas.

jak wrote:Saini, The weight of our planes is anywhere between 580 lbs to over 800 lbs it all depends on the builder there is no average that I can tell you. We haven't built an escapade in the factory in years so I don't have any weight and balance info to share. As I remember the weight of our wings is around 40 lbs each before paint and wingtips.
The reason the wings are removed to put into a container is there is no containers wide enough to get the plane into it with the wings folded. It only takes about an hour to remove if your on the slow side. When we pack a highlander into a container we remove the wings , rudder, and elevators, also the prop and spinner of course. All of this takes us about an hour and about 2 to reassemble. Hope this helps. Jak
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

My plane was packed into a container by Neel Aviation in lakeland, FL. Their business is shipping planes around the world in containers. They have the system and techniques to ensure your plane gets there unharmed. They pack them so well that they have had containers overturn and still arrive undamaged.

We did not need to take off the prop or spinner, only the wings, rudder, and elevator. Aircraft did not move a mm. Neel fabricated some nice metal supports to go under the axles (bolted into the floor), so we did not need to remove the wheels.

Be more concerned on getting it packed correctly, than worrying about how long it takes to get it back together. If your plane arrives broke, it will be more than a few hours or days to fix.

Return to “Just Aircraft”