SuperStol changes.....

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Re: SuperStol changes.....

Post by User GDS »

The issue about the twist in the elevators has been around for awhile with standard wing Highlanders. Two years ago, I went through some extra work and built some jigs to straighten them out before finding out they are supposed to be that way. I left them straight and they don't flutter.

For the flying wires, I used the size that came with the kit, 3/32". After seeing some finished Highlanders with oxidized flying wires, I ordered 3/32 stainless steel cable from Aircraft Spruce for mine.

I know it's frustrating to sort through the hardware, but if you build and fly your own plane, I suggest you build some inventory. As soon as I got my kit I ordered a full set of replacement hardware for the landing gear. I also ordered the assortment pack of cotter pins, 100 each #3 and #4 thick and thin washers, 50 each #3 and #4 nylock nuts and a lot of the commonly used short bolts and machine screws. Anytime I drop hardware I spend about 5 seconds looking for it before I get a new one; if I ding up the head on a philips machine screw, it goes in the trash. I'd also buy 10 each of every size Adel clamp from #4 to #14. 25 extra nicopress sleeves and thimbles are handy, too.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Also, you are bound to make changes, mistakes, extra add-on parts, etc., not to mention maintenance. It is really nice to just walk over and grab the right hardware instead of having to order 4 bolts or screws to do something.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Post by Strasnuts »

I understand it is a new kit. I do have a lot of hardware from other projects and my RV-10 build. I just had a bad day and was frustrated when a multiple of issues arose at the same time. I like the build so far but you have to have some bad days to know the good :wink: Troy is helpful on the phone and is willing to talk as long as I need it. Can't wait to start on the wings! BTW I had success moving my elevator control rod underneath the floor boards. Flat cargo now!
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Strasnuts wrote:I understand it is a new kit. I do have a lot of hardware from other projects and my RV-10 build. I just had a bad day and was frustrated when a multiple of issues arose at the same time. I like the build so far but you have to have some bad days to know the good :wink: Troy is helpful on the phone and is willing to talk as long as I need it. Can't wait to start on the wings! BTW I had success moving my elevator control rod underneath the floor boards. Flat cargo now!
I had thought about doing that same thing. Can you post pics of it? Did you ask Just for approval of your change?

Thanks,
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Strasnuts wrote:... I had success moving my elevator control rod underneath the floor boards. Flat cargo now!

Oh, you CAN'T just throw that out without pictures of your setup. That is one of the things I kind of thought "hey, a flat floor would be nice, oh well." Couldn't be too bad, I guess just moved the supports down/bell-crank down?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

danerazz wrote:
Strasnuts wrote:... I had success moving my elevator control rod underneath the floor boards. Flat cargo now!

Oh, you CAN'T just throw that out without pictures of your setup. That is one of the things I kind of thought "hey, a flat floor would be nice, oh well." Couldn't be too bad, I guess just moved the supports down/bell-crank down?
Might have considered that if I thought of it earlier, instead, wrapped styrofoam in multiple layers of the detailing vinyl tape ( which has with stood sitting in a floor full of gasoline overnight!) cut to 4 shapes, glued to thin Lexan for rigid top and double hinged the four pieces with aerospace zip ties and there's the flat floor for cargo thats see-thru over dual fuel pumps.

Also comes out quickly when folded to form insulated beach/glacier seat with backrest or bed or supplementary flotation device.
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Post by Strasnuts »

I'll take some pics and post.

I essentially made some slight bends in the pushrod to exit below the seat, then one bend at the end to come back to the middle bellcrank. I did not lengthen either bellcrank. The pushrod is long enough to accommodate the slight bends by screwing in the rear pushrod rod ends all the way. The fwd pushrod still has plenty thread through the rod ends. I strengthened the three bends by welding supports on both sides of the bends then grinding them down slightly for clearance. I added one bushing making three on the bottom and ground down the top cargo bay bushing. I shortened the top fwd bushing so it doesn't protrude past the structure. I'm sure I didn't need three bushings. It was just for piece of mind. The elevator has full range motion too.
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Post by Strasnuts »

Here is a video of the pushrod mounted underneath.
It is very stiff with three bushings.

http://www.youtube.com/audio?v=TrYXBvu0 ... rrer=watch
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Post by Strasnuts »

Pics

Return to “Just Aircraft”