"SuperSTOL 180"

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Augustus
Seasoned Member

"SuperSTOL 180"

Post by Augustus »

I see pictures on Face Book posted by UL Power showing their 180 horse 6-banger bolted on the bare frame of a SuperSTOL. UL says construction has begun. Interesting. . . :shock:
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: "SuperSTOL 180"

Post by Familyflyer »

I am interested in it. But it will never land as short as the 912 SuperSTOL. Just to much extra weight to get it stopped as soon. How much more, maybe not alot, we will see? Takeoff however will likely be quite good. I bet the takeoff roll will be reduced and its ability to clear a 50ft obsticle will also be reduced. It all depends what you want. It will burn close to twice the fuel for marginal performance increase. However if the useful load is good, the plane will be great. My 912 SuperSTOL should be done just in time to start it! Lol :D
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Have you seen the Viking turbo? Supposed to produce over 130hp at sea level, 100hp at 8000, about $16000
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

I used to follow the Viking website quite closely then decided I wanted to go with the UL 350iS. Didn't know Viking now has a turbo version. There is a lot to like about the Viking Honda engine except for the PRU. Also I don't recall if the turbo aspect disqualifies the Viking Honda for LSA use.

Due to my advanced age, I want to stay LSA; meaning no UL six-bangers in my future. :?
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

OK, the EAA says turbo charging no prob for LSA. I was thinking the engine had to be normally aspirated. Nope, apparently.
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I'm not using a Viking, though it was seriously considered (they want you to run MOGAS, but auto-gas without ethanol is not available near me, if I go to ANY airport it has to be 100LL, which is ONE of the reasons I am also not going with Rotax), but I have not heard of ANY issues with their PSRU. The 914/912ULS-super that many are going to are turbo charged as well. The only LSA restrictions on engines are: Reciprocating (no turbines) and 180hp or less.

I started following the Viking Yahoo group when I first bought my kit, and still get the e-mail updates. I already ordered an engine, but still follow the group because it is active and interesting to see how the products are evolving. The turbo is not available yet, but is supposed to be in 1Q 2014. It sounds like it will be a nice package with good performance, but time will tell.
Last edited by danerazz on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

For me, I am not interested in the real experimental engines. I just like the idea of the superstol being able to handle the weight of a lycoming. I like engines that install and you pretty much forget about. Always tinkering with an engine up front to make it work right is not what I am interested in. Others love that, just not for me.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I agree. My "backup" engine choice was an O-200. Getting an engine mount made is the only real issue I have with a Lyc. or the Conti. If only I could weld...

I know, I know, "those engines are so HEAVY and don't produce advertised power like the Rotax!" They are both pretty much bulletproof, no weird maintenance issues, any mechanic can work on them. The engine I am using is as heavy as (maybe even a little heavier than) those two, and I know my performance will suffer SLIGHTLY, but I will also be turning an 80" prop, so I still think it will get off the ground pretty well, and I only weigh about 150lbs, so that can make up for the engine weight difference.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

danerazz wrote:. . . The engine I am using is as heavy as (maybe even a little heavier than) those two, and I know my performance will suffer SLIGHTLY, but I will also be turning an 80" prop, so I still think it will get off the ground pretty well, and I only weigh about 150lbs, so that can make up for the engine weight difference.
And you'll have the best-sounding engine in the Just universe. I can hardly wait to hear it sing a takeoff song.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

SheepdogRD wrote:And you'll have the best-sounding engine in the Just universe. I can hardly wait to hear it sing a takeoff song.

Thanks, I can't wait to get this thing. I am going to try really hard to get it flying in 2014, but you know how life goes...

Everything's a compromise, and I think my choices will be a good match for how I want to use my plane.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

danerazz wrote:
SheepdogRD wrote:And you'll have the best-sounding engine in the Just universe. I can hardly wait to hear it sing a takeoff song.

Thanks, I can't wait to get this thing. I am going to try really hard to get it flying in 2014, but you know how life goes...

Everything's a compromise, and I think my choices will be a good match for how I want to use my plane.
I thought you were going with the Rotac Radial, or was that someone else? T-Viking should be awesome on a Highlander.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Yup, still going with the Rotec. Money is gone, just waiting for the engine to take it's place.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”