Pattern profile

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Gil T
Veteran Member

Re: Pattern profile

Post by Gil T »

Gary

My flap problem was mostly operator induced. I complained to Troy about it and he asked me where I had my hand on the flap handle. I found that I would pull on the flap handle and have my thumb on the end of the handle with enough force to keep it from locking in the notch. Since I changed my operating method I haven't had any trouble. Now it's don't touch the end of the flap handle unless you're going to use it. My usual flap speeds are 60, 50, 40. That's knots. And a stabilized approach is the way to go if you're in a position to use it. My problem is the easiest to correct. If it's a mechanical one ask an expert. My flaps absolutely will not come full down if I'm too fast. At the other end of it I've left the flaps down one notch and flown for 15 minutes before I pulled my head out of someplace dark and retracted them.

Gil T
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Sorry to change the subject of this thread, but it is related...

I've had the flap mechanism apart 3 times to enlarge the notches, that did not seem to have any effect.

If airspeed is up close to flap speed, it won't hold on any of the notches. Have to be slow to get that second notch.

I don't touch the button when I'm putting in flaps, only when retracting them or "milking" them on a maximum effort take off.

When I do the annual next year, I'm going to try installing a stronger spring in the handle. In the meantime, I've just adjusted my flying to the situation.

I guess I do fly stabilized approaches, I'm not chasing airspeed and glide path all the way to the runway. What I mean't in my last post was that I do not fly consistent approaches. I like to try different configurations all the time for the fun of it.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Guess ones milage may very.

I put some extra hearty notches in that mechanism, and it is a sold lock in all positions at or below Vfe....as it should be.

Return to “Just Aircraft”