Pattern profile

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Pattern profile

Post by gme9261236 »

Put close to 100 hours on the plane and then it went down for over 3 years due to replacing the fuel tanks.

Long story short is that it's finally done and we are flying again!

It's a standard highlander tail wheel with 912 uls and ivoprop. I typically do not use the last notch of flaps.

I used to have it all down great but it's been so long I nearly forgot. What are you all using for a pattern profile?

On downwind I pull power to around 4000-4500 Rpms and 60-70mph. Abeam the numbers I pull first notch of flaps and pull near idle and start down at 500-700fpm. At base I put in second notch of flaps and slow to 40-50 on final having slowed to 50-60 on base already. Over the fence has been around 40-50 but that's been proving too fast.

What do you guys use? I'd be interested in hearing from those more current.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Re: Pattern profile

Post by gme9261236 »

54 views and none of you are flying? Looks like I may be back to being a test pilot for the second time.
fiferphil
Premium Member

Post by fiferphil »

I do pretty much the same thing you do except that after slowing to Vfe on downwind, I lower two notches of flap abeam the touchdown point for a normal landing. That way, I don't have to mess with 'em again till after landing. If I see need for the third notch (rarely) I will extend them on short final after having the field made.

Hope this helps. :)
Phil Gasbarro
N 61VG (Kit#136)
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

When I die, please let me go peacefully in my sleep - like my grandfather...and not screaming and crying like the passengers in his airplane!
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I was making my approaches at 50 to 55 before I did the flap gap cover mod. If I tried to come in at 45 the plane was starting to get into mush mode and I had nothing left to flare unless I added power. The flap mod made a very significant difference. I'm coming in at 45-50 now and I could still slow it down a little more. I think 40 might be at the low end of where I still had some flare. If you are at 40 and that still seems fast, your plane flies quite a bit different than mine or one of our airspeed indicators is off. How much does your plane weigh and have you done the flap mod? Before I did the mod the third notch of flap was mostly drag and would get me down pretty fast. Now if I'm a little fast it floats and floats and floats....
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

...if you had an AOA indicator you wouldn't even worry about your speed...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

danerazz wrote:...if you had an AOA indicator you wouldn't even worry about your speed...
No need for an AOA..after enough hours I can feel when I'm running out of energy/airspeed.

Mullens. We just did the flap gap mod. I had not flown it with them prior. Plane is number 93 and weighs mid 700 empty. I'm not having any problems per se, just wanting to hear some technique from the current experts. Prior to it going down for 3+ years I had it dialed in. I could put it on a point and stop it quick. I'll get back there but I feel like I'm starting all over again and re learning the plane.
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Glen, - Good to hear you got the bird back in the air!
I really, really appreciated the time you and Shawn gave me in your airplane a couple years ago.
My little bird is now flying and I have about 80 hrs in it, and I am far from any semblance of proficiency.
I haven't done the flap gap seal mod yet, but working on it, inspired by Rick's and others experience.
I do have VG's on the top of wings and under horizontal stab.

I try to slow to 60 mph on downwind, add one notch, slow to 55 and two notches on base, then 45 to 50 over the fence. I have never experienced a loss of elevator or roll control near the ground!
I have practiced much slower flying at altitude and the airplane is amazing how it just hangs there, perfectly controllable with 3 notches of flap and indicating barely 30mph. And still plenty of "yank and bank" left in the controls. I hope I can get out to practice really slow flying on final approach.

I love how this airplane can get me out of trouble when asked. I was taking off out of Flying Tiger (FL54) with a pretty strong cross wind blowing between rows of tall trees. About the time the wheels left the runway, I got hit with a blast from between the trees and the airplane was headed for the trees on the other side of the runway. I just banked hard into the blast and flew out of it. I vaguely remember seeing 45 deg of bank and about 45 mph. Not something you want to do everyday, but this airplane will do it if needed!

Good going on getting back in the saddle and again, thanks for the hospitality at Hampton, NH a couple years ago.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Hey Wes,

Good to hear from you and hear that all is well and you are logging some hours. Been going back and forth with rigging a little bit as well as a few adjustments to idle and getting in some flying time. The idle was a little high which wouldnt let the rpms fall low enough with a windmilling prop to settle the plane in ground effect. There would be a lot of float before finally settling. Got that worked out to put my touchdown point where I want it.

In the air I did a little airwork to get a feel for the low speed characteristics as I hadnt flown with the flap gap seals yet. Low speed handling with two notches of flaps was pretty positive all the way down until near 35 with the stall breaking at 30 indicated.

Ive been doing pretty much the same thing with now pulling out to around 4000 RPM once at TPA. At midfield downwind I put in the first notch of flaps which usually puts me near 60. Abeam the numbers the power comes out and the second notch of flaps goes in while I simultaneously push over to start the descent towards landing. At this time the speed ends up around 50 is usually what im looking for. On final I usually start working towards around 45 approaching 40 on very short final. Over the numbers I let the flare dissipate what energy I have left to round out the landing around 30.

Still a little ways to go but im starting to remember how to fly again. Did probably 10 three points and 4 wheel landings on grass and then headed over to a short paved strip for 2 landings over there. Would have worked the pavement more but there was a scattered layer around TPA that was a little too much to work around.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Glen (?) I highly recommend listening to this MP3 audio of Roger Krenzin, a jungle training pilot. http://www.arcticoutreach.org/rogerkren ... niques.mp3 I recommend everyone listen to it because it really clarifies the basics of landing a STOL aircraft. He deals with Helio Couriers and others which are very similar to the S.S. Basically, he supports a stabilized approach, where when you turn final you go to full flaps, establish airspeed with pitch, and control altitude or the touchdown point with power. You should be able to get it very close early on, so that the closer you get the less changes or fighting it will be needed. He is talking accuracy landings and doesn't recommend waiting for short final to go to full flaps because you will have major pitch and trim adjustments to keep the desired airspeed. You want to get comfortable flying non-standard approaches, which you can't really do at most airports because of traffic safety issues. You want to be able to nail a stabilized approach without relying on the set pattern of doing everything the same as on abeam, base, and final knowing what is needed from habit, simply because when you need to do it you will be able. You need to develop the ability to get that stabilized approach set up from any approach path and angle. I've flown with guys who could land beautifully with their standard abeam, base, final procedures, but when they had to do a straight in, or something non-standard would forget carb heat, flaps, and couldn't judge the approach path and never got airspeed established. Anyway, maximum performance landings are somewhat advanced skills that should be preceded by first of all getting proficient with the standard training procedure landing. If I'm coming into a long paved runway I don't go to full flaps (if at all) until short final because I want to get down quickly and not be hanging up there all day.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Thanks Rodger, I'll take a listen.

Mostly where we operate there is not any opportunity or need for a true performance landing. There are essentially next to zero locations where you could perform an off airport landing to an unimproved short strip. This certainly doesn't mean that we can't have fun and play around with what we have as well as prepare for when we finally get the airplane outside of our geographical area.

I've got a few hours flying around a pattern or lack there of so I do not worry about not being able to stabilize without a set routine or pattern. It is good advice though for all to vary their experience and how/when they comfigure for landing.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

gme,

Hopefully I get flying in 2014, I'll have to stop down to Hampton and check it out, only about 1.5h away. I got my TW endorsement at a very similar airport in Ohio in 1997, really miss it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Come on down Dane!

What airport are you near? Maybe if we are out and about we could swing by.

GME is two people...Glenn (dad) and me, Shawn.

Feel free to email me if you'd like Shawn [dot] mercer [at] JetBlue {dot} com

* if you didn't know, there are programs that scan the Internet for email addresses and will put you on an infinite amount of spam lists. That's why you have to decipher mine.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

My home field is at 6750', DA is often 8500', and we get strange and gusty winds a lot. Here's a link to a picture; http://www.bigbearcityairport.com/ Altitude and airspeed are important.

During the whole pattern, I like to be able to make it to friendly dirt without power. On downwind I am slowly pulling power and holding altitude. Abeam the numbers, I put in the first notch of flaps. Turning base, I'm still at pattern altitude, RPM is about 3000. On base I start descending and keep it about 54KIAS. On final, I maintain airspeed and start a hefty descent. If I've flown a very close-in pattern, I do a forward slip. When I'm sure the runway is made, I put in the second notch of flaps and then go over the fence between 50-54 and land.
I still haven't fixed my flap handle so I've never landed with full flaps. (the handle won't stay in the 3rd position unless I hold it there) I don't think I would use the 3rd notch for landing anyway, I only use them sometimes for take off.

I also fly a Commanche 250 and always fly a stabilized, red over white approach, but in the Highlander I like using its light plane capabilities. On take-offs and landings I look like Ginger Baker on a drum set.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Fix your flaps to take advantage of full flaps. You will glad you did.

If for no other reason then having them available in an engine out scenario. Then you will want to land/impact at the slowest possible airspeed....with some controllability left over.

Personally, I think it lands and flies the approach much nicer with full flaps.

Fixing your Flap problem takes about an hour. Remove flap handle assembly, clamp the two guide pieces together, rout out and enlarge the catch slots....reassemble.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

User GDS wrote:My home field is at 6750', DA is often 8500', and we get strange and gusty winds a lot. Here's a link to a picture; http://www.bigbearcityairport.com/ Altitude and airspeed are important.

During the whole pattern, I like to be able to make it to friendly dirt without power. On downwind I am slowly pulling power and holding altitude. Abeam the numbers, I put in the first notch of flaps. Turning base, I'm still at pattern altitude, RPM is about 3000. On base I start descending and keep it about 54KIAS. On final, I maintain airspeed and start a hefty descent. If I've flown a very close-in pattern, I do a forward slip. When I'm sure the runway is made, I put in the second notch of flaps and then go over the fence between 50-54 and land.
I still haven't fixed my flap handle so I've never landed with full flaps. (the handle won't stay in the 3rd position unless I hold it there) I don't think I would use the 3rd notch for landing anyway, I only use them sometimes for take off.

I also fly a Commanche 250 and always fly a stabilized, red over white approach, but in the Highlander I like using its light plane capabilities. On take-offs and landings I look like Ginger Baker on a drum set.

Thanks. Small world as I've been into big bear a few times as well out of CRQ. I'm now flying final closer to 45-50 and slowing to 40 over the fence. At altitude with flaps 2 and power off I wasn't getting a stall until 30 ias. If I come in much higher than 45 that's all the more energy I need to burn off before it'll finally settle. I do like the control ability and more options a few knots gives though so if I'm closer to 45 than 35-40 I can dissipate that with a slight last minute slip. I suppose by rights approach speed should be 1.3 VSO so using a 30 knot stall would yield 39. Round that up and add a few knots for the sky gods and nearer to 45 works just fine down final.

Edit to add: I now have ~6 hours back in the pattern again and 100 in the airplane. I'm doing pretty well, I hardly ever crash.

Return to “Just Aircraft”