Rudder Stop

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Rudder Stop

Post by Familyflyer »

My rudder stop is to short on one side and the rudder fouls the elevator. Do you guys have an easy way to fix this. I tried bending it in but it just got worse. I was thinking of some sort of a steel or alumunim cap. The other option would be to build out the arm on the rudder with an aluminum block. I need about 3/16 in length. Just curious if anyone else had this issue.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Re: Rudder Stop

Post by SuperFly »

Troy,

Could you just slide a piece of rubber heater hose over the stop. Would give it cushion, and you could make it as long as it need to be. If only that much longer than the steel stop, I doubt it would bend too much. Maybe?
Just a thought.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Troy:

Had the same problem. The rudder stop was welded "off-center". It was suggested by the factory that I extend the stop in some fashion, on the short side, by welding or adding some kind of coupling or extension. That just wasn't going to work out for me............so, I welded a piece of metal (actually, I think I used a cut-off piece of drill bit) under the rudder arm to make up the difference. Then, trimmed the stop to fit.

Wasn't real impressed with the finished look, but it works. Once it's all painted out and given the location, I suspect no one will notice...........except me! :roll:
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I have the same issue, its off centre. They really should just make it long so we can cut to length and set the exact angle of the rudder we want at the stop. So Just if you read this, make it longer, the issue will continue otherwise. :D

I will weld if I have to, but I am thinking an external sleave with a rod inside. If I can find something that will have to be hammered on from a tight fit, it will not come off. Superfly's idea got me thinking.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

IMG_2605.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG
When I put my airplane together I believe that I had to cut the stops off and of course they ended up too short so I got a couple of nylon bushings from the hardware store which fit quite nicely and cut them for the proper length. I can't quite understand how they can be welded on crooked. Sounds like the welder was having a bad day.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

My airframe started life as a long wing
Escapade and I had trimmed the stops
to fit the smaller rudder. After that I
was convinced to upgrade to the Highlander
rudder & horizontal stabs. So I used Hy-Sol
to bond on some pieces of tubing that I fitted
to work.

"Cut to suit. File to fit. Paint to match."

Later!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

That's interesting. Mine also started out as an Escapade but while we were at the factory at Caldwell Troy asked me if I wanted longer wings and I said sure "Why not". I think that's when they were starting on the Highlander. I'm not even sure I was aware of the "new" airplane that was in the works. We were passing through Caldwell about six months later and stopped at the factory and I noticed the square tail leaning against the wall and I asked if that was for their new airplane. He said yes it was why don't you take it with you? Probably realized I needed more tail to take care of the extra wing. When we got home I had to remove the white powder coated tail and replace it with a red one. Interesting contrast. I didn't realize that the struts were different until I met Troy's dad last year and he brought to my attention the fact that the Highlander struts are attached 18" farther out on the wings. I like the way the jury struts attach to the struts better than the Highlander method with a straight through bolt. It looks cleaner IMO. I'm kind of rambling off the thread now so I think I'll start getting things cleaned up for Copperstate.

Cheers

Gil T
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Troy:

Whatever coupling you might use to extend the short "stop" will need to fit under the gusset that now is a part of the rudder control arm on the SS rudder. For me........couldn't find anything thin enough and didn't want to bend the stop to make work.

The picture that Gil T posted is nothing like what I have with the SS rudder area. I suspect things have changed!

Just an FYI.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Yes there is a gusset to clear. The only choice will be to bend it slightly down for a sleeve to work. I am thinking of also riveting a plate with hysol to the rudder arm itself. I will see if the factory has a better idea. They said to bend the stop in, but that just made it worse.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube

Return to “Just Aircraft”