Jim Pekola Tail Wheel and more

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
levyland
Veteran Member

Jim Pekola Tail Wheel and more

Post by levyland »

Howdy Everyone,

Well TUX is in a container and on it's way to the South Island of New Zealand.

After nearly 15 months, TUX was rolled outside of the factory 10 minutes after we arrived. The wings were unfolded, Troy hopped in and fired her up and promptly sprang to life. The feds rocked up the next morning at 9 sharp, and within an hour she was in the air. It was a marathon week of test flying and getting my tail wheel endorsement from the inedible Harrison Smith.

On Monday and Tuesday a dedicated group of factory hands and helpers (Johnny and Karl Von Kanael) helped to disassembled the plane.

Tuesday morning at 10 the container showed up and with 3 hours she was well secured and on the way to Charleston to begin her journey to Lake Wanaka.

For the folks that follow this forum that are considering buying a Super Stol get your wallets out! I bought this airplane sight unseen, and it is beyond comprehension in term of it's flying capabilities. If you are considering having the factory build it the fit and finish that Adam , Jak and the entire crew put in to was incredible.

Adam was nearly crying when we packed it up. In fact I think we both were.

I had not flown an airplane for nearly 10 years, and have had zero tail wheel experience. Within three hours I was ready to solo the airplane.

Despite the airplane being a complete pussycat, one of the best things I did was buying a Pekola lockable tailwheel. It's like training wheels for a taildragger, and very much eliminates a potentially disastrous ground loop. You just can't get there when the tail wheel is locked unless you were in some horrendous cross wind situation. And needless to say I am going to be sneaking up on gusty cross winds.

Well worth the investment in my book. You couldn't get your wallet out fast enough if you needed it.

So I am like an expectant parent now, rearranging the shed, pouring a new apron, getting the cot and diapers ready for the new arrival.

Once she get here I will give you all an update.

In the meantime here are some great shots done by the winner of the Future Mrs. John Von Kanael sweepstakes Grace. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtr1x0m396f1k5r/-m-3HyWuzG#/
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Jim Pekola Tail Wheel and more

Post by stede52 »

John,
The plane looks even better in the air :D congratulations and we're all looking forward to the arrival update :D
Steve D N419LD
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Thanks Steve your help was invaluable in the paint scheme
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I see there is a huge amount of elevator trim in cruise. Were you slowed down or in true cruise in the pictures? I wonder if the 1.6 degree on the elevator is actually enough. Great looking airplane. It sure is going to create conversation every where you visit;-)
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/

Return to “Just Aircraft”