Tail wheel dollys? Any ideas?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
levyland
Veteran Member

Tail wheel dollys? Any ideas?

Post by levyland »

Howdy everyone,

I thought I would post a new subject as to get feedback on the best way to get my airplane in the shed once it arrives down here in New Zealand. I am unfortunetly going to be a wing folder with abut 9" of clearance between the doors on each side. The Tailwheel Transporter looks pretty cute http://www.tailwheeltransporter.com/index.html but I didn't chuck one in the container so I have to put something together down here. Any suggestions oh wise ones? I need a bullet proof way to handle the airplane as it is pretty heavy on the tail wheel even with the wings non folded. It's tough to hurt em in the air, but hangers are notorious for causing hanger rash.http://www.tailwheeltransporter.com/i/DSC8448-M.jpg
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Re: Tail wheel dollys? Any ideas?

Post by HS-JAT »

John, What about some rail or guide on the ground to keep the tail going where u want it?
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Have you checked out my U-tube video 7 posts ago?? Sonex 293 has it ready to view. I like the idea of rasing the tail so the gasoline can stay in befor the next flight and your wings won't slam back. The vidio is unnessary long but the first mimutes shows enough to work for tail wheel type. Trilander Ted
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

A related discussion started here several days ago: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=23026
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Hey guys, thanks for that. Ted I have watched that video of yours maybe twenty times, and very ingenious indeed. One problem with the TD is that the 29" tires are not as manoeuvrable as the smaller ones are due to friction and air pressure, The subject of lifting up the tail eliminates the need to defuel the airplane for us wing folders, however stability becomes the issue. I had 3/4" Curtis drains put in my wing tanks to ease the defueling exercise however to be honest it does not work that great. Obviously a lifting four wheel easily steerable dolly with a long arm is the answer. The problem is that the scissor jacks are a bit dodgy. Maybe retrofit an aluminium car jack with 12" wheels in the back and smaller casterable wheels in the back.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

For our main gear, we have a pair of these from Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1045-2).
Summit Wheel Dollies sum-g1045-2.jpg
They're really good on smooth surfaces, and not as good going over rough stuff like changes in concrete elevation from the pad to the shop floor. Bigger casters -- both taller and wider -- would fix that.

Right now, the tailwheel just sits on a 5-caster stool with adjustable height, and it's fine for in-shop use. But it isn't stable enough to use when I roll the plane out of the shop, so I've thought about building a tailwheel mount onto a motorcycle lift like this one from Harbor Freight:
HF motorcycle lift 60636.jpg
The front wheels are much farther apart than our car jack, so it's more stable. I'd expect to extend the handle and add a T at the top. Bigger wheels might help, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz

Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

I like sissor jacks because they go straigh up/down; power them with late model cordless drill and adjustments would be rapid. The "skateboard on a milkstool scares me to death". I sugest wide apart castors with an attachment to the main gear for staibility. I use springs on the maingear conection for landing gear deflection and conection. The jacks could be a little forward of the tailspring attach point (the best place for this) so the jacks wont hit. Might not get all the way up but should be sturdy for bumps and fuel transfers. Remember, the castors can be aft of the sissor jacks, and the sissor jacks need to be as low as practial to stack them (maby three) to get max hight. A pair of cables can stop any "wee waaas" and help with rougher pavement. Trilander Ted Yes, I'm still hindged in the middle an' flappin' at both ends !!!!
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Thanks Ted and Sheepdog for your thoughts.
It's funny I grabbed a pair of those castering platforms just before I left to help get the airplane out of the container. I was thinking about buying one of those motorcycle jacks when I was at Harbor freight, but didn't. Hmmm I still think the tail wheeler concept is really good http://www.tailwheeltransporter.com/i/DSC8448-M.jpg if I could figure a way to easily lift the tail high enough to eliminate the need to defuel. Does anyone have an idea as to high you have to go with a tail dragger?

Cheers boys
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

If you see the angel of my plane in the video (in the lowest position on the trolly) I find that all but one gallon in each nine gallon tank works just fine, with room for expansion in hot weather. Your 26 gal tank might need more hight than mine, not much I bet. I often gas up my plane with the wings folded ( I have a homemade refueling rig in my pickup.) My tires are standard 800/6 's so your tail will be higher for the same results. Trilander Ted
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Thanks for that Ted. I was looking at a floor jack yesterday in my shed, and I reckon I might be able to fabricate something out of that. Cheers,

John
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Ted makes a good point: when it's up in the air, moving the plane around without a solid connection between the tailwheel dolly and the mains could be scary.

Fat tires put the tail way up there. Even on our normal-gear Highlander with 24-1/2" diameter mains, we need the tailwheel 32" off the floor to level the plane. If the mains are up on the wheel dollies, we need 35". When the tail is nearly 3 feet off the floor, I don't roll it around; the tail stays in a fixed position, and the dollies pivot around it. I only use the castered stool -- which gets it up 18-1/2" -- on smooth floor.

You'll probably be a good bit higher with the SS gear and 29" mains. Maybe you could find a system that lets you haul it around with the tail on or near the ground, and another that lets you jack the tail up in the air to fold and unfold the wings. The jacking system would be handy if you're folding the wings alone; it might be just about required if you're alone and there's much fuel in them.
Richard Holtz

levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Hmm all good points. I have a picture of the airplane at the factory with the tail supported by a large four wheel hydraulic pallet jack and the tail is knocking on three feet above the ground. I reckon stick to my knitting and just make a tail wheel dolly that easily moves the airplane from A to B safely and deal with the defueling issue separately

Thanks again boys
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

NASA developed this one!

Cheap, Simple and must work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”