Builder Logs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Builder Logs

Post by orenjr »

I just picked up my Superstol and starting to build. I was wondering if there is a list of builder logs with pictures that I could look at to help with the building process.
I have been following Troys build which is very helpful.
Thanks! Oren
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Builder Logs

Post by SheepdogRD »

Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
accent air
Seasoned Member

Post by accent air »

if you like you can shoot me an email and I can send a lot of pictures and answer any question you may have you can also call
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Thanks for the help. Pictures are easier for me to look at than directions . :) It sure is a big help to look at the finished product.
Oren
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I am planning to post a bunch of picture here this weekend. I have got everything figured and complete for all the make your best guess areas. I have taken the plane to a point, that after it is covered, it is just final assembly. So windows, windsheild, root closers, turtle deck and doors will all be done before I even start the fabric. This way I know it all works and it keeps all the metal shavings out of all the nooks and cranny's when drilling and fabricating with a covered airplane.

If I am the Troy you are talking about for building Blog. It is way out of date. Sorry about that. I like building more that blogging;-)
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Yes Troy you are one that I am following.I like the way you are building in stages with the manual .
Looks like you put a lot of attention to details. Keep up the good work.
Thanks!Oren
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Looks like

http://s386.photobucket.com/user/xpflyr ... t=6&page=1

is now Private :cry: . I got to it the first day it was posted here, but now it is not accessible.

==
Michael
Highlander on order

Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

That could be. Don sold his Highlander.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
FlyDawg

Post by FlyDawg »

Troy, I too have been following your build. great pics! My a/c should be ready around mid January and I plan on revisiting yours as well as others experiences. I like your attention to detail as well as your systematic approach to your build especially building ahead ie. drilling prior to covering. Is there concern that after covering some of your predriled holes may not line up? I was led to believe that some bending and pulling take place when heating/tightening the fabric surfaces.
As a boy I jumped off the roof wanting to fly, only to learn I needed better landing gear!
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

FlyDawg wrote:Troy, I too have been following your build. great pics! My a/c should be ready around mid January and I plan on revisiting yours as well as others experiences. I like your attention to detail as well as your systematic approach to your build especially building ahead ie. drilling prior to covering. Is there concern that after covering some of your predriled holes may not line up? I was led to believe that some bending and pulling take place when heating/tightening the fabric surfaces.
The areas that are effected by fabric bending the tubes are not drilled to final size. The only areas that are possible effected by this is the turtle deck (just the two outer top aft holes) and possibly the side holes of the boot cowl. I guess the outer tank bay for the cover, but that has to be done first no matter what if you use nut plates. Rivnuts would not look that good on top of the fabric. The really nice part is that it is all figured and you know it will work. If I changed my mind on how to do something it was easy to change since it is not covered. All other areas like the skylight, root closures and so on are not effected by the fabric and are alot of work. I have seen cuts on the sheet metal in areas to make things work through the fabric as things were clearly not fitted and tested first. I want to avoid that if I can on my aircraft. I am starting covering, I will report if my plan did not work :D
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I did the same thing as Troy, built everything before covering including mounting the engine to fit the cowls, oils door, et. The firewall was also fitted and all mounting and passthrough holes drilled and deburred. The boot cowl and turtleneck attach points did not move at all after fabric. The only area I had a small issue with were 2 tabs that the rear eyebrow window attach to. In hindsight I may have permanently attached those windows and covered over them vs. installing after if was covered and primed (like the factory planes). The lower 2 tabs on the horizontal tube were pulled down slightly after shrinking to 285 - 300. It was an easy fix.

One thing I would have done earlier is add a fabric tape over the center longeron on the inside. No matter how careful you are small pieces of dirt, et. get between the longeron and the outer bottom fabric. I would add this after taping the bottom fabric.

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”